Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1341 - 1360 of 1823 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I’m a bit stuck right now. Losing my job the end of next week.

Have a 13 week severance plus a one week payout of unused vacation.

hoping I can get into another good line of work soon and put that severance to real good use...

Reactions: motdean and Jimbos

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Increased a position in big tech. Nearly fully invested now.
I moved smaller today but only by shifts in mutual funds and cleared some cash for more ICLN buys on dips.

BCDA a bio company in a phase three trial procedure of using stem cells to actually repair heart damage after a heart attack looks like it's ready to make a move. It's at about $4. It got real squirrelly after hours.
It might be good for a few points.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Closed a position that I have wanted out of for a while. Ended in the green with that position, but only by a little.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,346
I’m a bit stuck right now. Losing my job the end of next week.

Have a 13 week severance plus a one week payout of unused vacation.

hoping I can get into another good line of work soon and put that severance to real good use...
Grundy this is awful to hear. I hope you and your family well this coming new year and I pray you find a great job soon.

Paul

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,347
Closed a position that I have wanted out of for a while. Ended in the green with that position, but only by a little.
I am struggling to sell RKT. I cant wait to sell this junk. Even if it rips higher after I sell I don't care. Need it to get above 24 as my average is there.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Grundy this is awful to hear. I hope you and your family well this coming new year and I pray you find a great job soon.

Paul
Thanks!

I Have some prospects.

I'm hoping my impulse by on MARA pays off...LOL!

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
What does everyone here think about short interest in a stock? Either days to cover, or short volume as a % of total (daily) volume?

It seems like short interest increases volatility (standard deviation). I have analyzed stocks that do well over multiyear periods, including now, that have higher than average short interest.

Is there an easy to use data source for short interest? My investment platforms don't provide this data, so I google and use whatever site comes up, usually fintel.

Are there other downsides to owning a stock with high-ish short interest, besides volatility? If a stock meets your investment requirements, and has high short interest, is it a deal breaker for you?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I should know better by now than to buy stuff I don’t research... MARA. Didn’t own it 24 hours LOL. 10% kick in the balls.

·
Registered
14,625 Posts
I should know better by now than to buy stuff I don’t research... MARA. Didn’t own it 24 hours LOL. 10% kick in the balls.
I've been goofing around with the blockchain ETF's and it's a wild experience. Almost unbelievable potential to win big or get crushed just within a few hours.

Yesterday I bought BTBT just after the open at about $6.90. About 15 minutes later I realized I was going to need to be on the road for a few hours and didn't want to maintain an open position during the time I couldn't closely monitor it so I sold it at about $6.50. A few hours later I was eating lunch in my car and decided to check its price and it was at $10.50. An hour later it was above $12 for a bit. Lost about 6% on a day where I could have made 80+% - lol.

·
Registered
14,625 Posts
If a stock meets your investment requirements, and has high short interest, is it a deal breaker for you?
I don't consider high short interest to be a deal breaker for a short term investment in a market that is driven by speculation and momentum. If we were in a time where market pricing was rooted in fundamentals and the investment was intended to be long term, short interest would be a red flag to me.

I'm not familiar with Fintel and their screening tools. I suspect it's similar to the Finviz screener

https://finviz.com/screener.ashx

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
I don't consider high short interest to be a deal breaker for a short term investment in a market that is driven by speculation and momentum. If we were in a time where market pricing was rooted in fundamentals and the investment was intended to be long term, short interest would be a red flag to me.

I'm not familiar with Fintel and their screening tools. I suspect it's similar to the Finviz screener

https://finviz.com/screener.ashx
Big thanks @November Sunrise for the finviz suggestion. It has alot of what I have not found in my core tools. Also rationalstocks.com is good to see what the big investor names are doing.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I'm sitting in one that I'm down quite a bit on but just don't want to let go of it yet. The promise and story is bright along with big insider holdings and institutions buying in at a higher price then where it's at now.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I sure hope you didn't sell. Research it, as long as bitcoin's price holds up the next 6 months are going to be very bright with thousands of bit miners coming online. They announced the purchase of like 33 thousand new miners yesterday.
It opened at 14 yesterday due to bitcoin's weekend move.
When I thought it was a scalp play I've said so but it's also a buy and hold at the right price point IMO.

·
Registered
14,625 Posts
I sure hope you didn't sell. Research it, as long as bitcoin's price holds up the next 6 months are going to be very bright with thousands of bit miners coming online. They announced the purchase of like 33 thousand new miners yesterday.
It opened at 14 yesterday due to bitcoin's weekend move.
When I thought it was a scalp play I've said so but it's also a buy and hold at the right price point IMO.
The ETF's linked to crypto and that somewhat mirror Bitcoin pricing create exposure well beyond an ordinary holding. One reason is the volatility of Bitcoin means that enormous market corrections can occur over a weekend and that a retail investor will have no way to respond to before the damage is done.

For instance, Bitcoin escalated in value quickly from the 24th-27th while the stock market was closed. As a result, BTBT was up over 25% immediately at the open on Monday. Even if an investor had a buy order in place that order was going to get filled at way above the opening price.

Why does that matter? Well if Bitcoin had dropped in value greatly over those four days, an investor could lose 25% of their holdings before their sell order is executed.

This type of volatility is almost unheard of. Anyone who's holding crypto related ETF's overnight should be well aware that the risk is much greater than with almost any other holding.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
The ETF's linked to crypto and that somewhat mirror Bitcoin pricing create exposure well beyond an ordinary holding. One reason is the volatility of Bitcoin means that enormous market corrections can occur over a weekend and that a retail investor will have no way to respond to before the damage is done.

For instance, Bitcoin escalated in value quickly from the 24th-27th while the stock market was closed. As a result, BTBT was up over 25% immediately at the open on Monday. Even if an investor had a buy order in place that order was going to get filled at way above the opening price.

Why does that matter? Well if Bitcoin had dropped in value greatly over those four days, an investor could lose 25% of their holdings before their sell order is executed.

This type of volatility is almost unheard of. Anyone who's holding crypto related ETF's overnight should be well aware that the risk is much greater than with almost any other holding.
I understand, but this is such a small portion of my holdings that I'm good holding MARA since I more than doubled and sold off half so it's house money now, but I agree, that makes it much easier to sit and watch the trading chaos unfold because it get unruly at times.
Still I believe the next 6 months is very promising for MARA, but it's high risk high reward.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Oh I dumped it. Tuck my tail and lesson learned. I don’t understand Bitcoin. Which is why I’ve stayed away from it before. I duped myself into the impulse buy in thinking there was quick easy money... I guess some have gambled and got lucky with Bitcoin and related companies.

I don’t understand how you can “mine” a Bitcoin? Sounds like walking around all day picking up pennies but in a tech, mass vacuum kinda way?

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Oh I dumped it. Tuck my tail and lesson learned. I don’t understand Bitcoin. Which is why I’ve stayed away from it before. I duped myself into the impulse buy in thinking there was quick easy money... I guess some have gambled and got lucky with Bitcoin and related companies.

I don’t understand how you can “mine” a Bitcoin? Sounds like walking around all day picking up pennies but in a tech, mass vacuum kinda way?
It's the craziest s**t ever. The miners are even weirder.
Use MARA for example, they need their own power plant to supply enough energy to drive all of those "miners" looking for bits of coin and put them together to make a bit coin.
It's damn weird stuff.
They of course gave stock to an energy company to build a plant for them. It lets them produce a Bitcoin for $3900.
Bitcoin is at $27,700 tonight and MARA is up .77¢ after-hours, it should gap up in the morning, that's when you sell if you want to make a quick buck.

·
Registered
14,625 Posts

You don't understand Bitcoin because you're thinking too deeply.

Just picture a bunch of degenerate gamblers addicted to the world's first digital chain letter game and waves of new players are currently joining the chain. The gamblers strive to disguise their degeneracy by claiming that they're "changing the world" or "fixing money."

Now do you understand? LOL.

P.S. Props to John Paul Koning for the degenerate gambler visual. I wish I'd thought of it but I'm simply parroting his message..

1341 - 1360 of 1823 Posts