Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

New Pole Barn

5682 Views 37 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Walleyze247
Well, It looks like this is going to be the year! I have a 28x48x14, with a 10x48 lean too, specked out and will be breaking ground soon. One half of the lean too will be open, so 10x24 enclosed. In a few years, I will be adding another lean too on the the other side, fully enclosed, 10x48. I will just stone the inside of the 10x48. It's going to be great having my boats. camper, and other stuff out of the elements. I will enjoy being able to have space to work on stuff out of the elements, as well.
See less
Well, It looks like this is going to be the year! I have a 28x48x14, with a 10x48 lean too, specked out and will be breaking ground soon. One half of the lean too will be open, so 10x24 enclosed. In a few years, I will be adding another lean too on the the other side, fully enclosed, 10x48. I will just stone the inside of the 10x48. It's going to be great having my boats. camper, and other stuff out of the elements. I will enjoy being able to have space to work on stuff out of the elements...
See more
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
I'm also having one built the second spring breaks in NW Michigan but nowhere the size of yours, I should go bigger and will probably be sorry but at my age really how much more stuff will I acquire.
Well, It looks like this is going to be the year! I have a 28x48x14, with a 10x48 lean too, specked out and will be breaking ground soon. One half of the lean too will be open, so 10x24 enclosed. In a few years, I will be adding another lean too on the the other side, fully enclosed, 10x48. I will just stone the inside of the 10x48. It's going to be great having my boats. camper, and other stuff out of the elements. I will enjoy being able to have space to work on stuff out of the elements, as well.
See less
I'm also having one built the second spring breaks in NW Michigan but nowhere the size of yours, I should go bigger and will probably be sorry but at my age really how much more stuff will I acquire.
Well, It looks like this is going to be the year! I have a 28x48x14, with a 10x48 lean too, specked out and will be breaking ground soon. One half of the lean too will be open, so 10x24 enclosed. In a few years, I will be adding another lean...
See more
Do you know someone, anyone at all, who has built a storage building that ended up being too big? I have never heard of such nonsense! FM
Do you know someone, anyone at all, who has built a storage building that ended up being too big? I have never heard of such nonsense! FM
See more
I kind of wish my main floor of the storage shed wasn't so tall.
It's really hard to warm it up in the winter.
I don't heat it year round but do warm it up when I am doing a project.
Insulate it well if you plan to heat it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

See more
Sounds similar size to what I'm building.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
See less
Sounds similar size to what I'm building.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Well, It looks like this is going to be the year! I have a 28x48x14, with a 10x48 lean too, specked out and will be breaking ground soon. One half of the lean too will be open, so 10x24 enclosed. In a few years, I will be adding another lean too on the the other side, fully enclosed, 10x48. I...
See more
Another idea is to pour the floor then lay a row of blocks and go up from there. My ground is wet and the poles don't hold up so well. Also I didn't make it large enough or tall enough.
Reactions: Piranha man
Another idea is to pour the floor then lay a row of blocks and go up from there. My ground is wet and the poles don't hold up so well. Also I didn't make it large enough or tall enough.
See more
Im going tall for my camper. I bought a new one last year. The other tall door is for the new boat in a year or two. I do not plan on heating it at this time. Im excited for the barn, for one, since i promised myself that I had to have a place to store a new boat. I do not want it sitting outside.
Im going tall for my camper. I bought a new one last year. The other tall door is for the new boat in a year or two. I do not plan on heating it at this time. Im excited for the barn, for one, since i promised myself that I had to have a place to store a new boat. I do not want it sitting outside.
See more
Are you doing the construction?
Are you doing the construction?
See more
Plastic stapler to the underside of the rafters helps with heat loss along with tarps handing from the rafters to the floor keeps the heat in pretty good

See less
Plastic stapler to the underside of the rafters helps with heat loss along with tarps handing from the rafters to the floor keeps the heat in pretty good

Sent from my SM-G920V using...
See more
No Jimbos, too big for me. I have friend that works with an Amish crew. I am probably doing the concrete with another buddy. I will do the electrical.
Reactions: brushbuster
No Jimbos, too big for me. I have friend that works with an Amish crew. I am probably doing the concrete with another buddy. I will do the electrical.
See more
Good for you, wish mine was bigger I need to build a second barn and I wish I had a lean too (or 2)!

Also don't make the mistake I did, if your going to insulate and finish off a portion of the barn as a shop to heat, do it now if you can. I wired mine moved all my stuff in and kept accumulating more stuff and never finished it! That was 16 years ago!

See less
Reactions: Walleyze247
Good for you, wish mine was bigger I need to build a second barn and I wish I had a lean too (or 2)!

Also don't make the mistake I did, if your going to insulate and finish off a portion of the barn as a shop to heat, do it now if you can. I wired mine moved all my stuff in and kept accumulating more stuff and never finished it! That was 16 years ago!

Well, It looks like this is going to be the year! I have a 28x48x14, with a 10x48 lean...
See more
I want the lean too's for tripe!
I want the lean too's for tripe!
See more
Space abhors a vacuum!
Reactions: Waif
Space abhors a vacuum!
See more
22x30 breaking ground today hopefully! My big thing is getting my big boat out of the elements and also being able to work on it. My smaller boat is in my third bay of my garage and can get in and out but nowhere to work on wheel bearings etc... Gonna be nice!
22x30 breaking ground today hopefully! My big thing is getting my big boat out of the elements and also being able to work on it. My smaller boat is in my third bay of my garage and can get in and out but nowhere to work on wheel bearings etc... Gonna be nice!
See more
Double lean to NOW???
Double lean to NOW???
See more
Getting it going early MilanMark, congrats
Reactions: milanmark
Getting it going early MilanMark, congrats
See more
If you were talking to me Fab, just the one.
If you were talking to me Fab, just the one.
See more
I had one build in Au Gres a couple years ago. A couple things I did that I really like are light pannels in the top 2' of the walls, although I really only needed it on the south side. Don't even need lights during the day time. If you don't plan to work in there, skip the concrete and go with crushed stone, which is what I did. Mine is just a big storage shed, so concrete was not needed and saved us thousands. If you store a boat in there, like I do, concrete would puddle up water that drips off boats, which is a pain anyway. I absolutely love the 12X12, electric, overhead door since I use my barn like a garage for my truck. When I did the electric, I put in a couple motion activated lights and they are awesome. The main lighting was those LED ones that plug together from Home Depot, which only took me a couple hours to install 10 of them and really light up the place. I built shelving along three of the walls and that really allows me to store tons of stuff and quickly find it when needed. I had two steel entry doors installed, but only needed one, so wasted money there. Make sure the grade for the barn is high enough so no water enters during wet weather. I'm glad I spent the extra money on that as I seen barns before with water pooled up in them after big rains.
See less
I had one build in Au Gres a couple years ago. A couple things I did that I really like are light pannels in the top 2' of the walls, although I really only needed it on the south side. Don't even need lights during the day time. If you don't plan to work in there, skip the concrete and go with crushed stone, which is what I did. Mine is just a big storage shed, so concrete was not needed and saved us thousands. If you store a boat in there, like I do, concrete would puddle up water...
See more
I never thought of crushed stone, any specific stone type?
See more
The limestone is mostly used on driveways works. I also used it on my driveway to my barn too. It can have a little dirt in it to help it bind. It's best is the steam roll it down.
Reactions: Walleyze247
The limestone is mostly used on driveways works. I also used it on my driveway to my barn too. It can have a little dirt in it to help it bind. It's best is the steam roll it down.
See more
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.