Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am a lifelong Michigan resident (currently Oakland county) and have been enjoying our vast amount of outdoor activities since I was very young. This year is the first year I decided to get into hunting and it hasn't come without struggle. I have no "mentor" and my friend base does not share my interest in learning these skills. With moderate success at small game hunting (squirrels and rabbits) I seem to have hit a wall. I can read all the books and information available but feel that in order to truly learn the ins and outs of hunting I will need to meet and connect with like minded individuals. I am hoping to connect with some people who would be able to talk with me and\or hunt with me in the future who have more experience or just want to learn with me. All help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Wish I had seen this earlier as I am about done for the year. Most of my hunting buddys have passed on or have health issues. Good luck finding a partner to learn and enjoy with, if you don't re-post early next fall.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
What are you hitting the wall on, deer hunting? This place is a wealth of knowledge if your b.s. sifter is working properly. :D Joking aside, lurk around here, search posts, ask questions and most of all welcome to the hunting sports! Remember this, everyone no matter how long they have hunted experiences heartache and disappointment, some more than others.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you im not letting myself get discouraged eespecialy as its my first season. I Have had trouble locating deer and finding the right places to set up. Once deer firearm season closes i thinki will try for coyote. My biggest hang up i think is just that I dont know any hunters and havent been around it enough. I learn every trip and apreciate the tips and encouragement.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Feel your pain Carl. I am 43 and decided to try it this year as well. I wanted my son to have the chance to hunt as he really showed interest for the last couple of years. Its not easy and I have 2 friends that have hunted for decades but I dont get much time to pick their brains so I to and on a learn as you go situation also.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If your ever up in clinton county area let me know. ML season opens on the 4th and goes till the 20th. Shoot me a PM if your up this way.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I just want to encourage you to keep at it. You can do this! Predator hunting is tough, on par with deer hunting. Sneak in quietly, wait a few minutes to allow things to settle down then start calling. Good camo is a must and eyes wide open because they can come from almost anywhere.

There are tons of videos on youtube that can help answer questions about hunting different animals with various techniques. These along with written info are great but nothing can replace time spent in the woods observing wildlife and learning their habits. The more you know the better it gets!

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I recommend just taking it slowly, keeping your confidence, and sticking with deer, rabbit and squirrel hunting for a bit. They're somewhat easy to do. You're in Milford, so you're close to some public hunting opportunities. Hit up Island lake and just take a walk in the woods at first light and try to put some bushy tails in the bag. Take them home and watch YouTube vids on how to clean them, and do it. Then get a good recipe and cook them up. It will take time and it will feel like you don't know what you're doing, but you will get better each time.

Also, now is a great time to hit the woods to muzzleload. Muzzleloaders are relatively inexpensive. Go buy one and hit some public land and try to bag a deer! You can also use a bow or crossbow through the end of the season. You can hunt with a crossbow or muzzleloader from the ground no problem. Just find a nice game trail or sit close to a bedding area, play the wind, and be patient. Be ready to freeze your nuts off. Keep a good attitude.

Lurking on this forum and just trying to soak it all in is good advice. Also, use this forum as a resource. You may have to sift through some BS, but there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here, and most are willing to help a newbie.

Best of luck. The season is not over!

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Like the others have said keep at it and don't give up.Alot of us did not get our first deer For a few years after starting to hunt.If you openly talk about hunting and fishing in social situations you might be able to make some friends that have the same interest as you.And that will shorten the learning curve quite a bit.

·
Registered
38,000 Posts
Think about joining an organization of like minded outdoorsman. Detroit Sportsman's Congress or Royal Oak Archers are in the Rochester area. Detroit Archers is in West Bloomfield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts