Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at two different ones. The CVA Optima Pro with a 26" nickel barrell and camo syn stock. Or the Traditions Pursuit Lt with a 26" nickel barrell and camo syn stock. There isn't much of a difference in price so that isn't a factor. Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
IMHO, CVA's quality has really gone down hill and not to mention their customer service department.
Can't speak on the Traditions but I've heard mixed reviews.

I personally like Thompson Center, except for the Omega. Mine can't hit the broad side of a barn. But I do have three other models- Black Diamond, Firehawk, and System 1.
If you can get one, I highly recommend the Black Diamond. Its very accurate.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I bought a CVA Optima a couple years ago, shot good at the range. Then I took it out hunting on a 10 degree day and the hammer wouldn't click into the cocked position. Brought it inside in the warm and it worked, put it back in the cold and it wouldn't cock. Maybe I just had a lemon but it was the strangest thing. I ended up taking it back and buying an Omega, you can't go wrong with a T/C.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I agree, skip the CVA's and Traditions. Look at Knight, T/C, White, and Savage. I have my own favorite not listed at a cheap price, but they're not making them anymore and thy're going fast....so I'll keep it to myself for now.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Well, if those were my only two options, I guess I would go with the CVA. I sure wouldn't pay extra for nickel though since nickel is not stainless, nor will it perform like stainless and not worth any more money. Both CVA and Traditions use the cheaper nickel to trick buyers into thinking that they are as resistant to corrosion as stainless. CVA and Traditions don't have a great record in the quality control arena and those spaniards have yet to figure out how to design and build a gun that is anything but ugly and ungainly in thier inline models. The quality from Knight, TC, White, or Savage is typically much better and models are available that are as inexpensive as both models that you listed. Obviously, you have to buy whats right for you, but your doing yourself a disservice if those are the only two models your considering.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Well, if those were my only two options, I guess I would go with the CVA. I sure wouldn't pay extra for nickel though since nickel is not stainless, nor will it perform like stainless and not worth any more money. Both CVA and Traditions use the cheaper nickel to trick buyers into thinking that they are as resistant to corrosion as stainless. CVA and Traditions don't have a great record in the quality control arena and those spaniards have yet to figure out how to design and build a gun that is anything but ugly and ungainly in thier inline models. The quality from Knight, TC, White, or Savage is typically much better and models are available that are as inexpensive as both models that you listed. Obviously, you have to buy whats right for you, but your doing yourself a disservice if those are the only two models your considering.
+1
I'd buy a used American ML before I'd even consider a New overseas model
stay away from the Foreign junk,you'll get what you pay for
they look good on the store gun rack but don't expect too much from em in the field....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I own a Pursuit LT. My son uses it and likes it. He has found a bullet that he can shoot well out of the gun and thinks the break-action design is easier to prime, and it loads easier than my Omega. I have not shot the Optima so can't comment there. I'd suggest you shoulder both guns and see which one fits better and has better balance. I feel the Pursuit is a little front heavy compared to my Omega but that is me.

P.S. I picked up another Omega last week for my other son. $284 with the tax included. Wanted to go Savage 10ML but couldn't justify the price. (not yet) I've got a bunch of range time in my future.

Tim

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
IMHO, CVA's quality has really gone down hill and not to mention their customer service department.
hate to see what they're like now if they've gone downhill.

TC, knight or Savage.

easy to say "they are not worth the money".

but it's hard to appreciate quality control. it costs money. and all it gets you is a very functional firearm that works consistently and is accurate. course, we take that for granted until we don't have it.. then, when we need the warranty, we find another factor that costs money..

i'd say the savage, knight and tc's are worth the money..

personally, i believe savage stands alone right now, cause you can shoot smokeless powder from them. those that hunt with muzzleloaders during general firearms season, as i do, cannot overstate the value of shooting smokeless powder. if you haven't done so, you're missing out.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I bought a CVA Optima a couple years ago, shot good at the range. Then I took it out hunting on a 10 degree day and the hammer wouldn't click into the cocked position. Brought it inside in the warm and it worked, put it back in the cold and it wouldn't cock. Maybe I just had a lemon but it was the strangest thing. I ended up taking it back and buying an Omega, you can't go wrong with a T/C.
You may have had to much oil in the gun most guns will not work in cold weather if it is over oiled .Bud

·
Registered
67 Posts
I really like my CVA Optima Pro. I love the feel of the thumbhole stock, it shoulders great and the line of sight done the barrell was best of the guns I shopped.

I too considered the T/C Omega, but felt the cost could not be justified given the economy and the fact that the muzzy season is only a few weeks, which really equates to two days afield a year if that.

With that said, I have no complaints and only praise for my CVA. Bang for the buck, I felt it was well worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
The T/C Omega Z5 blued/synthetic makes for a great entry-level muzzy. That is what I started with last year, and I couldn't be happier. Unlike CMR, mine is very accurate. I am admitedly not a very good shooter, but I was shooting 2" groups at 100 yds off the bench last Monday. I was shooting my Marlin .30-.30 at the same time and could only get 5" groups.

Take a look:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20815&hasJS=true

1 - 16 of 16 Posts