Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always tinkering with different food plot mixes ( I know most of you are like me and love this part as well). I let a small 1/4 acre section of Winter Rye and Austrian Winter Peas go this spring that I planted last September. Well, upon inspection of the EW/soys I planted right next to this 1/4 acre section, I noticed something pretty cool. I was looking at how high the WR was (almost 5' tall) and there climbing up it was the winter peas. I jumped off the tractor and started to look at it and noticed the deer are all over the stuff. Looks like the peas grow right up the WR stalks and right at browsing level for the deer.

The WR/peas gives good food in the fall and early winter/spring then as they both grow the tall WR gives cover and a good support system for the peas to crawl up and get browsed!

Now to figure out where I will put a small section of this in the fall!

·
Registered
0 Posts
You've discovered a poorly-guarded secret in the food-plotting world: Dbltree has been advocating WR/Oats/AWP/GHFR/clover for years.

Most of the time deer wipe out the peas and they don't get a chance to climb the rye in the spring. Maybe your density is not too high?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mosy of the peas are down to the ground. I didnt want to go in there too far because there are fawns all over, but from what I saw they must really love it. I have clover,alfalfa, and fresh soys around but they seem to favor the peas right now! I will plant it again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts