Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried the new Federal "Flitecontrol" shells?
I have a Remington 870 3.5" 12 guage and I thougth about trying them and wanted to know if they do have a tighter pattern.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Savioman said:
Has anybody tried the new Federal "Flitecontrol" shells?
I have a Remington 870 3.5" 12 guage and I thougth about trying them and wanted to know if they do have a tighter pattern.
YES and YES

And I'll add that in my hands the FC shells dont like as tight a turkey choke as some others. Try a regular Full choke.;)

NB

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Tried them, they didn't pattern as well as I had hoped. Sure is a funny looking wad they have loaded in them. I'll try Natty's tip with them and see how it works.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Same here, tried them, didn't pattern well with the H.S. Undertaker choke with the 835. . .I did try 3 1/2 Hevi 13 #6s in that combo and I am not even going to worry about the Feds.;) I know the Undertaker isn't the Rhino and the Hevi 13 isn't Nitros, but I don't know if I could do any better than the combo I found. And the Undertaker was just a lucky pickup at Dick's Sporting Goods for $2.97. . .yes, $2.97.:D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
omega58 said:
. And the Undertaker was just a lucky pickup at Dick's Sporting Goods for $2.97. . .yes, $2.97.:D
$2.97 for an Undertaker choke tube:confused: Great Buy!

I spoke to the Federal guys down at the NWTF Nationals in Nashville when they brought out the New Flight Control shells. They tried to make a shell you could get good results with out of ordinary choke tubes which most guys already have ie. Full, IM or Modified. And from what I hear, those shells dont do well out of the super tight aftermarket chokes.

You still have to pattern them to see which one YOUR GUN shoots the best.

Natty B.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
NATTY BUMPO said:
$2.97 for an Undertaker choke tube:confused: Great Buy!
Yeah, it was marked $4.97 and I asked the cashier if this was correct, thinking clearanced for $14.97 and someone forgot a 0, but then it came up $2.97.

I guess it gives me a reason to walk through Dick's every once in a while to see what they have on clearance.:lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Stevens Model 94 single shot 12ga that has a full choke. Tried these shells and at 40 yrds, had 6 - 8 pellets in the kill area (head and neck area). I don't know how that matches up with others. I know I tried the Winchester Double X Supreme Turkey Load and only put in 4 - 6 pellets at 40 yds. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
At 35 I'm putting 29 in the head neck with my gun. I would look for somethig else or keep your shots closer. I know it only takes one to do the job but 8 or 9 is not good odds.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 27 in the neck and head at 40 yards using xx 6 shot with a mad choke. Maybe I should be happy with what I have.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Savioman said:
I have 27 in the neck and head at 40 yards using xx 6 shot with a mad choke. Maybe I should be happy with what I have.
Without seeing a few patterns with that load, its pretty tough to comment. But if you also have 5-7 pellets hitting "the vitals" consistently on yr targets, then you should be good to go with that combo.

NB

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 6 - 8 pellets I was talking about was in the vitals area (brain and spine area of the target not the whole head and neck area). Besides I said those were the results of the patterning not that I would shoot at that distance. Just to clearify.:)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Rabbit guy said:
The 6 - 8 pellets I was talking about was in the vitals area (brain and spine area of the target not the whole head and neck area). Besides I said those were the results of the patterning not that I would shoot at that distance. Just to clearify.:)
Well then, that sounds quite good RG. Only those pellets driving thru the brain and cervical spinal column/cord will put down Tommy Three Toes for good. Every pattern will be different and I like to have some margin for error/ holes in the pattern, etc. Pellets thru the wattles, snood, gullet, windpipe, etc, etc, arent good enough.

NB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts