Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is 4 months old now, my question I have access to chukars but no access to private ground. Is there a area where I can release birds out for him to chase or can I just do it in my yard? ( we live on 3 acres in the country) i live just outside of Lansing, any help or input would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
In todays climate If I were in your shoes I would locate an HRC club. Or a Professional to do the basics for you. Basic Obedience Retrieving, Intro to Gun fire. I know there are HRC types here on the forum and I think there may be a Pro or two as well.

Hal

Reactions: Nostromo

·
Registered
360 Posts
Highland state Rec isn't too far. But with three acres you could do it at home most likely. You just need to clip their wings so they can't fly off. They will still get up in the air a few feet though.

Id recommended going through force fetch first, but at 4 months your pups a bit young in my opinion to handle that type of pressure.

Personally, I would start of with a bird wing on a fishing pole just to get the dog excited, you can introduce them to some birds as well, however if not trained, they are likely to kill the bird. I had this issue as I rushed though force fetch a bit to quick and had to circle back and repeat it.

Working through proper bird holding for dog is key to keeping them from chomping. A good trick is use an unused paint roller to carry and hold first, especially at that age as they don't have all their adult teeth and something about a paint roller really works teaching them to properly carry a bird with out crunching.

I'm sure I missed a few things here, but as gundogguy said, find a club. They offer training days and lots of members are likely to help you out.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
All you need is some cover, and at that age I recommend you keep it at very light cover such as sparse, tall grass in an open area, making the bird not very visible but findable. Make sure there's some light steady wind. Mark the spots you plant the birds so you know where they are. Keep it fun and just let the dog figure it out. Unless you're solely just trying to introduce the dog to birds for the very first time, I do not recommend clipping the wings or inhibit the flying capabilities of the chukars. I think it's important from the get go for the dog to see that bumped birds fly away.

Reactions: Nostromo

·
Premium Member
10,593 Posts
He is 4 months old now, my question I have access to chukars but no access to private ground. Is there a area where I can release birds out for him to chase or can I just do it in my yard? ( we live on 3 acres in the country) i live just outside of Lansing, any help or input would be greatly appreciated!! View attachment 785490
Next time stay out of the picture. Lol
I'm sure it is a fine pup though.

Best of luck and have fun!

Sent from my SM-A025V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry everyone I should have stated he is a flushing lab. I have been taking him out to some state land near by and having my boy help me by dragging some wings with scent on them. I know it’s not a real bird but he has been doing awesome with this!!

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Sorry everyone I should have stated he is a flushing lab. I have been taking him out to some state land near by and having my boy help me by dragging some wings with scent on them. I know it’s not a real bird but he has been doing awesome with this!!
There was a day when you didn't have to state that it is a flushing labrador and just saying labrador means a flushing dog!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts