Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the store today and was looking in the coolers. There was a sign Fresh Wiid Caught fiish sticks. What could this be

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The crumbs leftover after processing. Sweep it up and put it in the processor.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've heard that asian carp are very good when correctly prepared. Common carp can also be good. I've brined and smoked them with excellent results. Hard to believe, but on a quality level with good smoked salmon. The toughest part is finding a clean enough body of water to catch them in.

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
I've heard that asian carp are very good when correctly prepared. Common carp can also be good. I've brined and smoked them with excellent results. Hard to believe, but on a quality level with good smoked salmon. The toughest part is finding a clean enough body of water to catch them in.
Carp in general is a popular food in some cultures, especially some European and Asian cultures. Common carp were initially introduced to America by German immigrants as a food fish but it never caught on. They ended up becoming pests. That said, it seems relatively recent that people are getting into carp as a sport fish. All of the big tackle manufacturers now make carp specific rods, reels, lines, and baits.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Remember the goldfish you won at the County Fair to impress your sweetie or kids? Only to flush it a day or two later.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,182 Posts
Fish sticks, hmmm. More than likely pollock.

But they say the silver carp are good, and that common carp is too from people I know who've tried it.

No one's mentioned the sheep, aka drum?

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,182 Posts
You'd have a hard time fish-sticking a drum, IMO. The meat has a very unique texture - not flaky, more like lobster tail.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Yeah, I've heard that. That was just me kidding though. I have threatened to try it. I think I should have kept the one my buddy got up in the Soo, nice clean cold water like that was probably the best specimen I could have had.

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
I wonder how the flavor of sheephead is. I know down south the black drum and red drum are highly esteemed as table fare, and they are very closely related to the sheephead we all love to hate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts