Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new 9.9HP kicker coming on new boat - looking for advice to achieve quickest results. Running up and down a lake for some hours, seems to be to much - I mean trolling is for fishing.....

Anyone put the kid on board with a stop watch, eye on RPM's in a bucket of water, in the barn for a day?

Old school guy who believes in slow, no same revs, no top end, early oil changes for first ~ 3 hours of a new four stroke.

· Registered
4,050 Posts
spendit said:
new 9.9HP kicker coming on new boat - looking for advice to achieve quickest results. Running up and down a lake for some hours, seems to be to much - I mean trolling is for fishing.....

Anyone put the kid on board with a stop watch, eye on RPM's in a bucket of water, in the barn for a day?

Old school guy who believes in slow, no same revs, no top end, early oil changes for first ~ 3 hours of a new four stroke.
What does your owners manual say? Mine had a pretty easy to follow break in proceedure. Why try to find a short cut?

· Registered
4,590 Posts
after rebuling and selling many out board i would let them idle in a test tank in gear for 3 hours. after that i would tell the customer to basicly run it like he was going to but just don't hang on wot for any period of time tell you would hit 15 hours. never had one come back to me and i started working on outboard in 92 down in houston mainly on bass boats and pontoons

· Registered
82 Posts
According to my manual, I was supposed to run it for 1 hour at 1/2 throttle, the next hour at 3/4 throttle, and then for the next 8 not to run wide open for more than 5 minutes at a time. Tough to do with a trolling motor and not give in to go fishing. So I probably ran mine at 1/2 for about 30 minutes, trolled for an hour, ran at 3/4 throttle for another 30 minutes and have used it normally since. Probably won't know for a few years if it hurt anything, but seems to run fine now and isn't using any oil that I can tell.

· Registered
6,340 Posts
for 2 strokes
use a 25:1 mix (32oz to 6 gal)for the first tank then 50:1 (16oz to 6gal)there after
you can never have too much oil on a fresh motor
even on a 4,I would still add some oil to the gas
and what has been said,always vary your speed,never keep it at a constant

· Registered
2,518 Posts
sullyxlh said:
and what has been said,always vary your speed,never keep it at a constant
My main motor is a 4 stroke, I was told to vary the speed during break in also.
When you let off the gas on a car, it will slow down gradually, this is necessary for the rings and valves to seat properly.
Unlike a car, when you let off on the throttle, it slows down right now.
If you try to rush the break in with a 4 stroke, your asking for trouble.
Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.