Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new rod and reel setup for jigging and now I can't wait for spring. I haven't had the best luck jigging in the past and have read that better equipment can make a huge difference. I picked up a cabelas prodigy rod and reel. They feel really good together pretty well balanced the reel is extremely smooth. My first reel with instant anti-reverse, which is very impressive. If my luck doesn't improve you may see it in the classified this spring.

I was thinking about the st croix primier rod, but I picked up the prodigy for about half the cost. None of my previous rods are fast action and I noticed that I didn't get good hooksets. So hopefully my luck is about to change.

I was thinking 8# braid, what do you guys think?

Ports

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1500 reel
PDS664-1

6'6" one piece, fast action, medium power. In the past I've always used heavier jigs and this seemed to fit that best with 1/4 to 5/8oz rating

Ports

·
Registered
404 Posts
That rod and reel should be perfect for jigging. 8lb Fireline is what I use and I don't have any issues catching/losing fish.

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
If I was just looking at a vertical jigging only set up I would have went with a shorter rod personally but in that line up that is one of only two I would pick for that purpose.So it should work well for you. Get a real superline line like Power Pro, Spiderwire Stealth, Or Sufix Braid.

Fireline is nothing but a bunch strains of line fused together, that is why it frays like it does.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If I was just looking at a vertical jigging only set up I would have went with a shorter rod personally but in that line up that is one of only two I would pick for that purpose.So it should work well for you. Get a real superline line like Power Pro, Spiderwire Stealth, Or Sufix Braid.

Fireline is nothing but a bunch strains of line fused together, that is why it frays like it does.
LOL, and here we go again, FL vs PP!!!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I went with Sufix 832 in 20lb. I set out to buy 10lb, but 20lb was .001" more. Why not...

832 20lb = .009"
Fireline/Sufix 6lb = .006"

I'll take the extra 14lbs and suffer the .003" when it comes to jigging. :D

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Sounds like a nice set up. Be sure to post a photo of the new set up along with that hog you are going to catch in the spring! I have always liked my 6# XL Trilele. That said Most of my jigging rods are spooled with 8# fireline these days. Much better hook up percantage with the braids over mono....but I love the feel of fighting a fish with mono. I spooled a rod with Power Pro last week so I can get a feel for what the Power Pro guys are talking about. See you on the river in the spring. :cool:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I went with Sufix 832 in 20lb. I set out to buy 10lb, but 20lb was .001" more. Why not...

832 20lb = .009"
Fireline/Sufix 6lb = .006"

I'll take the extra 14lbs and suffer the .003" when it comes to jigging. :D

careful with the snags....better hope those hooks straighten out before something else gives....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts