Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I went out and did some hinge cutting for the first time. I am planning on doing some more on the property and was wondering your guys opinions if it was done right or do I need to change something. Also is showing the next place to hinge cut that is between 2 fields that I hunt. Fist time posting pics hope they are ok

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hinge cutting check list;

Cambium strip still attached: Yes
Tree Horizontal : Yes
Fell where you wanted : Yes
Live to post about it : Yes

I declare your Hinge cutting a success. :lol:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would seek some help if I were you. The Habitat Wizard seems to have a diverse, and highly intimate knowledge of such crafts.

"Science is simply common sense at its best."
Can you elaborate on the comment. What kind of help should I be seeking? Were these hinge cuts proper? will the trees survive? what exactly should I be looking for for help? Were the trees to big to hinge cut? to small? wrong species?
While I have seen both you and habitatwizard are new members also; why are you soliciting me to him when this board has many experts on this subject?
I know this may come off rude and that I am new here but this comment seems more of a solicitation than any help or opinion whatsoever.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hinge cutting check list;

Cambium strip still attached: Yes
Tree Horizontal : Yes
Fell where you wanted : Yes
Live to post about it : Yes

I declare your Hinge cutting a success. :lol:
Success yea!!!:) Thanks for the comment, 1st comment had me very unsure of what I had done.
I like the live to post about it part. Take a lot for granted when you are sitting in this chair typing verses out in the woods cutting.
It was really neat last night as my wife and I watch 3 bucks browsing the newly cut trees till dark.
Now it's off to cut the trees between the fields for more browsing and bedding areas

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Can you elaborate on the comment. What kind of help should I be seeking? Were these hinge cuts proper? will the trees survive? what exactly should I be looking for for help? Were the trees to big to hinge cut? to small? wrong species?
While I have seen both you and habitatwizard are new members also; why are you soliciting me to him when this board has many experts on this subject?
I know this may come off rude and that I am new here but this comment seems more of a solicitation than any help or opinion whatsoever.
Yeah, I didn't get that one either.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
IMO your hinges look good. Fine job for a first time and you tackled some pretty big trees at that. Now here is my question...................

What was the purpose for hinging that area?
Travel lane? Bedding? No go zone? Screening?

For bedding you want it to be thick but not so thick the deer struggle to move around, cut high enough, create that over head canopy effect, make sure the over head trees are supported (other wise they will sag and your bedding will need to be repaired) and be sure the deer have "door ways" to get in and out. Once that is accomplished you can go in and rake out individual beds. Remember does will face each other ,but bucks don't like to. Use logs (about 4' long or so) for back rests. This also will allow you to control what way the deer will face when they are in the beds.
My personal though on bedding areas is create the bedding area and hope deer will bed in them. They should if you make it right and it really isn't all that difficult. I don't concern myself too much if bucks bed where I want does or does bed where I want bucks. I'm happy if deer are just using them.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I would seek some help if I were you. The Habitat Wizard seems to have a diverse, and highly intimate knowledge of such crafts.

LOL! I got it. :D

For those confused, check your sarcasm detector. ;)

As far as if the hinge cuts look good, I don't think it can be said until you say what your specific purpose was. I spend a ridiculous amount of time thinking many moves ahead before I hinge anything and when I finally do, it's for a specific purpose.

BNB already touched on it - there's different cuts for different purposes. What was your purpose?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMO your hinges look good. Fine job for a first time and you tackled some pretty big trees at that. Now here is my question...................

What was the purpose for hinging that area?
Travel lane? Bedding? No go zone? Screening?

For bedding you want it to be thick but not so thick the deer struggle to move around, cut high enough, create that over head canopy effect, make sure the over head trees are supported (other wise they will sag and your bedding will need to be repaired) and be sure the deer have "door ways" to get in and out. Once that is accomplished you can go in and rake out individual beds. Remember does will face each other ,but bucks don't like to. Use logs (about 4' long or so) for back rests. This also will allow you to control what way the deer will face when they are in the beds.
My personal though on bedding areas is create the bedding area and hope deer will bed in them. They should if you make it right and it really isn't all that difficult. I don't concern myself too much if bucks bed where I want does or does bed where I want bucks. I'm happy if deer are just using them.
The purpose for this particular hinge cut was for blocking/funneling deer down my property line so they will not tend to go towards the neighbors, brown and down folks. I still see there are a couple of holes to fill in. This was a great alternative to putting up a fence that I was going to do this summer. The pictures in the woods were done for a screening for the food plots. I have stands just inside of here that I will hunt on occasion and I want to be able to get to them with out spooking the deer.
As with bedding areas I will be working on these in the future as I have a lot of natural bedding areas that I take advantage of with my stand placements, this year I am concentrating on establishing my food plots. I have tried to establish plots in the past without success but I have high hopes on using rye this year and buckwheat next year until I can built up my soil.

This is a picture of the field I will be putting the main plot in. It was limed last fall and I am waiting for my soil samples to come back to get ready for the fall planting. I am still deciding if I should till or if I can use a no till seeder to establish the rye plot. Any advice would be appreciated.
Also the trees in the background are my next hinge cut that I would like to make a better doe area, they already bed there in the tall grass and there are a couple of apple trees I would like to get more light to. So my understanding is I want to establish higher cuts and to make a canopy for the deer to bed under?
This site has been great and I really love the advice and feedback from the members.:)

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Yes hinge about shoulder high for bedding. Hinge or drop your larger trees first and use them as a base to hinge your smaller trees onto. This will give them a softer landing and will support them do they don't sag later. If your over head cover gets too low it will deter deer from using it.
If you can work the soil up on your plots with a disc, tiller, or even some kind of home made harrow drag you can broadcast just about any seed for your plot. I would use a mix of rye, clover, peas, oats and ground hog radish. Plant late August or early September. In that mix I just us triple 19 at 200# an acre. I believe you could also use 6-24-24 at the same rate too. I have actually used that same mix without any fertilizer before but adding fertilizer seems to give the plot a better jump start. Depends in the soil. Then next spring or Sumner you can disc it all under, or maintain your clover plot until fall and then disc it in again and replant something else or the same thing.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes hinge about shoulder high for bedding. Hinge or drop your larger trees first and use them as a base to hinge your smaller trees onto. This will give them a softer landing and will support them do they don't sag later. If your over head cover gets too low it will deter deer from using it.
If you can work the soil up on your plots with a disc, tiller, or even some kind of home made harrow drag you can broadcast just about any seed for your plot. I would use a mix of rye, clover, peas, oats and ground hog radish. Plant late August or early September. In that mix I just us triple 19 at 200# an acre. I believe you could also use 6-24-24 at the same rate too. I have actually used that same mix without any fertilizer before but adding fertilizer seems to give the plot a better jump start. Depends in the soil. Then next spring or Sumner you can disc it all under, or maintain your clover plot until fall and then disc it in again and replant something else or the same thing.

Gamehunter,

Read the above 2 or 3 times. You're getting probably the best advice imaginable, for the soils you're working with. In fact, even on very good soils, it is exceptional advice. It is a proven system, used by dozens, if not hundreds of food-plotters, every year. If you learn nothing else before putting in your first food plot, understand this singular post. It is years worth of hard-earned knowledge in one paragraph. :)

·
Banned
28 Posts
It's somewhat amusing to me how riled up folks get and the perceived insecurities and paranoia that follow. I wasn't soliciting habitat wizard for any other reason than I've seen some of the pics he has posted and, like they say, a picture's worth a thousand words, in his case, 10,000(he knows his stuff, period). For some reason, and why I'm not sure, he has posted then removed pics shortly afterward. I could spend all day trying to figure that one out but instead decide to just move forward. My post was intended solely to point you in the direction of an expert, as it seemed to me you were questioning what you had done. He may be new to the site, but looking at his photos, he's clearly no rookie when it comes to habitat. It was just an option, an avenue to have your questions answered. I personally think you're full of it, and you already knew the answers to the questions you've posed. Why ask after you've already cut? If you didn't know what you were doing, why not ask prior to cutting. You're simply looking to waste people's time, or pat yourself on the back and try to establish yourself on the site. Keep in mind, that's just my opinion and I've been wrong one time before. As far as the sarcastic meter comment, that gentleman makes a fool of himself regularly, this time was no different.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
It's somewhat amusing to me how riled up folks get and the perceived insecurities and paranoia that follow. I wasn't soliciting habitat wizard for any other reason than I've seen some of the pics he has posted and, like they say, a picture's worth a thousand words, in his case, 10,000(he knows his stuff, period). For some reason, and why I'm not sure, he has posted then removed pics shortly afterward. I could spend all day trying to figure that one out but instead decide to just move forward. My post was intended solely to point you in the direction of an expert, as it seemed to me you were questioning what you had done. He may be new to the site, but looking at his photos, he's clearly no rookie when it comes to habitat. It was just an option, an avenue to have your questions answered. I personally think you're full of it, and you already knew the answers to the questions you've posed. Why ask after you've already cut? If you didn't know what you were doing, why not ask prior to cutting. You're simply looking to waste people's time, or pat yourself on the back and try to establish yourself on the site. Keep in mind, that's just my opinion and I've been wrong one time before. As far as the sarcastic meter comment, that gentleman makes a fool of himself regularly, this time was no different.

Wow....
That was unexpected.
I don't know the habitatwizard or his work so I have no comment on him. As for the OP I think he was just looking for some feed back on his work. This site is a good place to get answers to your questions. I ask a lot of questions and I try to give my insight on what I know.
The key to all this habitat work is, pay attention to all the little details and don't limit yourself to just one way of doing things. Well except horizontal cuts on your hinges. LOL

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

Yeah, don't you hate it when people get riled up for no reason! :lol::dizzy:

I was just thinking I was glad there was a couple posts and photos on here the last few days about hinge cutting and creating habitat. Its been boring around here lately.

No idea who the habitat wizard is but hopefully he posts more often if he is as good as you say!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was just an option, an avenue to have your questions answered. I personally think you're full of it, and you already knew the answers to the questions you've posed. Why ask after you've already cut? If you didn't know what you were doing, why not ask prior to cutting. You're simply looking to waste people's time, or pat yourself on the back and try to establish yourself on the site. Keep in mind, that's just my opinion and I've been wrong one time before. As far as the sarcastic meter comment, that gentleman makes a fool of himself regularly, this time was no different.

Well you seem to be wrong again. Maybe if you had looked at my first post you would have seen that I had asked the questions about hinge cutting before I went out and did it and thank to the response I was able and felt comfortable to go out and give it a try. Now that I have had a positive review of what I was doing I will fell a lot more positive hinging the rest of the trees that I want.
There is a lot of information on this site and from what I have gathered is that no 2 properties are the same and that asking for advice is free on this site. It is a great go to place when you are not sure how, where or what to do to help manage the land. Thanks for all the pats on my back guys, I really needed them, but really thanks for the advice and I will continue to ask questions.

·
Registered
0 Posts

Speaking of getting people riled up and wasting their time...have you made any substantive posts, in your 26 comments, or are you too busy trying to be clever and insulting to address the actual topic? :rolleyes:

Guys like you are what kills good forums.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
It was just an option, an avenue to have your questions answered. I personally think you're full of it, and you already knew the answers to the questions you've posed. Why ask after you've already cut? If you didn't know what you were doing, why not ask prior to cutting. You're simply looking to waste people's time, or pat yourself on the back and try to establish yourself on the site. Keep in mind, that's just my opinion and I've been wrong one time before. As far as the sarcastic meter comment, that gentleman makes a fool of himself regularly, this time was no different.

Well you seem to be wrong again. Maybe if you had looked at my first post you would have seen that I had asked the questions about hinge cutting before I went out and did it and thank to the response I was able and felt comfortable to go out and give it a try. Now that I have had a positive review of what I was doing I will fell a lot more positive hinging the rest of the trees that I want.
There is a lot of information on this site and from what I have gathered is that no 2 properties are the same and that asking for advice is free on this site. It is a great go to place when you are not sure how, where or what to do to help manage the land. Thanks for all the pats on my back guys, I really needed them, but really thanks for the advice and I will continue to ask questions.

Way to be gamehunter!!!!!

Maybe I should of mentioned in my first reply to you in another thread where you were asking questions about hinge cutting that sometimes you will get no useful info at all.
Normally the habitat forum is full of great advice. Every now and then someone visits and stirs the pot.
F.Marx may have been giving you an avenue to explore, but the "habitatwizard" hasn't contributed enough yet for anyone to call him a reliable source, IMO. He very well may be a habitat wizard, only time will tell if he shares his knowledge. I did read his posts and I can't say the guy is just here to troll, he did seem to know a few things. So with that said f.marx may have actually been sincere with his original post. His follow up was a bit rough.:lol: I like to save the snye remarks and posts for the management and proposal forums:lol: Those sub forums are entertaining more than educational.

·
Registered
225 Posts
:yeahthat: Gamehunter keep asking!!!!!! This post started out great until one DB had to kill it.:sad::sad::sad:

·
Registered
182 Posts
There is always a "jester" or two on the forum, and more often than not get banned before the 200 post mark (Manthus, qdmaer, etc) Sometimes I think they are alter-egos. Some of the stuff they come up with will make you laugh out loud if you already sort of know it's coming. Don't let them get to you. You have been given good advice on this thread, and it should be easy to sort out which of it is reliable.

·
Premium Member
30,939 Posts
No idea who the habitat wizard is but hopefully he posts more often if he is as good as you say!
I am wondering the same thing as well.
He indicated on another thread that he was starting up his habitat business and that he was looking forward to attending the SE Mich Branch QDMA Field Day.
If a guy, or gal, is looking to build a business they should make their real name available, of course there is the possibilty that that IS their real name (He Hate Me, Metta World Peace, etc.):lol::lol:

T

BTW, The hinge cuts look nice, much better than my first ones. Of course that was well before anybody else was doing them on a large scale and perhaps before Al Gore invented the internet.:D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts