Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been deciding on a getting a new hand for self defense. I think I have norrowed it down to three different guns. If I could get your guys oppion on them pros-cons etc. These are not in any special order.

1) Kimber KPD in 40 Cal.

2) Smith and Wesson M&P in 45 Cal.

3) Springfield XD in 45 Cal.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I would love to have a M&P to compare to the Sig/H&K/Glock/1911s in my safe. It seems comparable to the H&K USP with polymer frame, decock/safety function, etc.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Do you plan on carrying it, or will it be home defense gun?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
of all 3 I have shot I say the mp 45

the changeable grips were a big seller and really helped. me make a choice.
and the softer felt recoil and less muzzle flip

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be for carrying and home defense.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I haven't shot the M&P though I have heard great things about that gun. I do believe they make a compact version, which may be easier to carry concealed. I have shot the other two and they were fine. At this point, I would be tempted to try the M&P.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I didn't know Kimber was offering a .40 again. I bought a .40 Compact SS a couple years ago, but have not seen a Kimber in a .40 since. They are very nice guns, but I cannot answer as to how they would compare to the others you listed.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
the kimber is a polymer framed gun..... and was very lacking i felt it jsut wasnt a fun gun to shoot,

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
deputy said:
of all 3 I have shot I say the mp 45

the changeable grips were a big seller and really helped. me make a choice.
and the softer felt recoil and less muzzle flip
Doesn't the mp have a very long trigger pull? Which for home defense would be great.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
No it isnt that long of a pull i find it to be on par with glocks and xd.

Gun in full recoil case just out of chamber

another with case in mid flight/

·
Registered
459 Posts
Fulldraw - not to muddy the waters, but I will...Your short-list is good, no doubt, and any one of them would be a good choice. I recently went through the same decision process and ended up with a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .40 cal. One of the key selling points for me was that in a defensive situation, if you have a jam, the gun reverts to single action offering a second pull of the trigger. That is a unique feature as far as I found. It is also available in compact models for carry. Just my .02, so good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Ahh if the gun Jam's the last thing you want to do is press the trigger again...... you perform an IAD either tap rack drill or double feed clearance..... not lets press the trigger again and hopefully the round that May or May not be in the chamber goes off this time.. if there is even one in the chamber cause failed to feed from the magazine cause it wasnt seated......................

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
sullyxlh said:
What,no Sig in your choices??
Can't go wrong with any of there models....
:yeahthat: :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts