Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to build an AR platform style riffle. can anyone give me some info of what i should or shouldn't do? Where i can get good parts from all of that kinna good stuff....

·
Registered
27 Posts
First decide what it will be used for, long range accuracy or just fun shooting, then its an endless world on the internet. They are pretty easy to assemble yourself, but a good idea to have a gun smith check it over, especially the bolt spacing. I just got done building one if u have more questions.
View attachment 18330
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First decide what it will be used for, long range accuracy or just fun shooting, then its an endless world on the internet. They are pretty easy to assemble yourself, but a good idea to have a gun smith check it over, especially the bolt spacing. I just got done building one if u have more questions.
View attachment 18330
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
accuracy is the key lol! and i am sure it will be be fun either way lol. i am almost done in my gunsmith class. the main thing i am trying to figure out is where to order the parts. where is the best place to get them from?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Check out Rock River Arms. If I would have known them what I know now, I would have seriously thought about building my own.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you take that? Also... Do you have a background in machining? Lathes, mills... etc.
it is just a class online at Penn Foster. And yes i do. i work at a little shop in Bad Axe called Huron Tool & Engineering. I run a mill but i don't have any lathe experience. There is a group of guys in the shop that get together and build AR's. Infact they are gonna be ordering about eight lower here soon. i hope i can get my order in then lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh by the way. Their are 600 yard shoots up to Oscoda and over to Midland. If you and your buddies are interested.

About the " Machine Shop" comment... Very few people I've met, out in the world, have machining experience of any kind. I have more respect for a guy like you than one who has been to Colorado for a year and he's gonna put a barrel on your Remmy.

I work for Brown Machine LLC Beaverton, MI just moved into programming. Been building rifles since the mid-90's and building special tooling for competitive shooters.

Mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
Seriously, go to AR15.com. You will learn a ton. Spend some time looking at pictures and reading through the forums. Stay away from the general discussion forum ;)

I looked at pictures forever before deciding what type of AR to build and what I wanted it to look like. In the end I was very happy that I spent the time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seriously, go to AR15.com. You will learn a ton. Spend some time looking at pictures and reading through the forums. Stay away from the general discussion forum ;)

I looked at pictures forever before deciding what type of AR to build and what I wanted it to look like. In the end I was very happy that I spent the time.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info AC_snopro!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm building two right now as well. I have both my lowers assembled and am waiting for my uppers to be shipped. I'm doing a M&P style with a 16" barrel and a hunting style with a 20" heavy barrel. These are my first builds as well and I haven't found it too difficult, although I haven't completed the upper yet.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'm building two right now as well. I have both my lowers assembled and am waiting for my uppers to be shipped. I'm doing a M&P style with a 16" barrel and a hunting style with a 20" heavy barrel. These are my first builds as well and I haven't found it too difficult, although I haven't completed the upper yet.

Now is a helluva time to try and find parts for a build. Even assembled uppers are few and far between.

I am not willing to pay high dollar for even a upper kit or anything, it just isn't worth it to me. That said, I don't need anything right now to be able to hunt.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
You can still find parts that are not back ordered, and that are not price gouged. You just have to look hard. My stripped lowers were $150, upper was $500, and I found 1000 rounds for $350. I ordered everything in the beginning of Jan. the only item I'm still waiting for is the upper and they said it would be about 4 weeks out. Not bad prices if you ask me, all things considered.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can still find parts that are not back ordered, and that are not price gouged. You just have to look hard. My stripped lowers were $150, upper was $500, and I found 1000 rounds for $350. I ordered everything in the beginning of Jan. the only item I'm still waiting for is the upper and they said it would be about 4 weeks out. Not bad prices if you ask me, all things considered.

I think that is an ok price! I would be willing to pay that much!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts