Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from Oscoda, stopped by to see Denny Bidigare for a fishing report. He has a new glow paint that he claims stays lit for 8 hours. After a demo I bought 8 of them. Got back to the campground and flashed one, let it sit for 2.5 hours and it was still bright. They are incredibly bright at first and as bright if not brighter as a regular glow (right after a flash) 2.5 hours later.
Went 9 for 16 on saturday. 5 kings 4 lakers. Biggest king was about 9#. 11 out if 16 hits were on the new spoons. Fished 25 thru 29 in 85 to 105 fow. Marked lots of bait and schooled up fish eating them. He calls the spoons extreme glow. He had about eight different collors at his shop in Oscoda. He also has new half silver back half glow back spoons he calls dry dock. The Michael Jackson drydock is awesome. The best color for us was scaleie smelt and squirt yellowtail in the extreme spoons.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Fishlander, and moonshine both produce superglow spoons also. Moonshine is the most innovative as far as ive seen, as their glow paints glow different colors. I also have a couple different super glow pigments, i just cant apply them very well yet. As for the spoons, ive heard good things about them, but i honestly havent given them much of a try, as the conditions havent dictated that i put them out yet, and the standard glows have kept producing for me. Very interesting developments though

·
Registered
953 Posts
Those Moonshines are sweet, but they are not really recommended for flashing I guess. The glow can last up to 10 hours depending on color. Orange, reds, true blue or true green only last a couple hours. I also understand that they can be too bright sometimes as well and that when flashed or left on the dash for charging to let them sit away from the light a couple hours before use to tone it down. I went with a buddy this last weekend to Rogers City and he grabbed some. 4 of 9 came on the Moonshine. Cool technology.

FD

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Has anyone seen this on J-plugs yet? Or a place where I can just get the paint and do it myself?

Thanks,

Captain Jay

·
Registered
870 Posts
Denny's spoons and charter service, 989 739 1342 Tell him Rick (split-shot) sent ya. They do work well. Ask him for the special that was real hot this past weekend. Good Luck

Oh yea the paint is just over 300 beans a quart. The Fishlander ones were 7 bucks a spoon, I think dennies has them for 5.95 and a special with all 9 current colors and a travel box for 50 smackers even. Not bad compared to the others.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The backs glow on all the same amount. The darker colors are not as vibrant. I know they last 3 hours but 8?? anyway I dont usually leave a spoon out that long, If I do and its working then I wont hesitate to bring it back and give it another shot.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The standard Moonshine lures glow roughly 10 hours. The "true" colors only go about 2 hours max. Blue, Green, Red, Orange ect...are short lived but do work.....I suggest Bullseyey and the Jackle standardly in stock........

FD

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
For the do-it-yourself types heres a link for the material. I started playing with the coating material a couple of weeks ago. Being in the coating industry for more years than I care to mention, it caught my eye after looking at the Moonshine lures and not being able to get the glow tape I wanted.

http://www.csipaint.com/superglows.htm

Picked a 1 oz. bottle up at Bass Pro.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder what the light level is below sixty feet? The spoons worked well for me. The past two seasons my two best spoons in Oscoda have both been glow paints. First light , last light, middle of the day did not seem to matter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As a diver I can tell you that not much color is visible beyond 25'. It gets mighty dark down there. At 100' you can use a bright light to see in full daylite. Even with the clearing of the waters light can't travel very deep. Most colors to Our eyes are gone without artificial light. The "glow" should show up just fine!! Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hello guys,
Silver streaks are now avalible in blue and purple super glow!!!!!!
go to catchmorefish.com and looK at new colors for 2004 :grouphug:
I do the painting for them have tested the blue glow to 5 hours its a little dim buy then but its glowin :yikes: we left to backs silver " we didnt want them too bright, also the super glow streaks are still the same price :corkysm55 well just wanted to drop the post.....
tight lines,
Mark "[email protected]" if anyone has any questions .........

p.s.on the new chart the red nose taped silver. the owner and his crew have this on workin on lake mich......

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
The new glow paints are awsome. I picked up a dozen from Moonshine at the sport fishing show in GR back in March. Mike was nice enough to donate a dozen spoons for the summer salmon fishing tournament too, so a few of you will be lucky enough to win some. I'm still working on my goal of getting enough lures donated that everyone who participates will win one.

Moonshine will also paint J-plugs and fishcatchers for you for a fee. It's pretty expensive, but worth considering if you really want the bright glow of the new 3+ hour paints/dyes.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Natural sunlight is the preferred method of charging the spoons according to Rich the owner. I typically hit mine with a 70,000 candlepower spotlight, which doesn't make the spoon "over" glow. I considered charging these spoons with a 10 miliion candlepower spotlight, but less glow has been more productive for me.

Purple nurple was a solid producer before 1st light for me out of White Lake-both off a long lead on the rigger & with 35' behind a slide diver set 150' back.

I'm anxiously waiting to try the superglo spoons again this season-hopefully 05-12-04.

Steve Yonker
a.k.a.Limp Bait

1 - 17 of 17 Posts