Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s gonna be tough waiting for next spring. Just added this dude to the posse. I can’t wait to see a Tom give him the business!!!. I also added a Hooks Hootin’ Stick and a C&S Custom Calls Slate over glass to the arsenal as well.

While we’re talking gear. Anyone that films their hunts care to share their camera gear set up? My daughter enjoyed going out with me and in a year or two she’s going to be toting the gun so I’d like to get things ironed out ahead of time to capture those special moments. I’m thinking about investing in a Sony A7iii, with a tripod, leveling head, slider camera head and a Rex Arm from 4th arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

· Registered
2,089 Posts
First season using my DSD feeding & upright hen decoys.

Called 3 longbeards & a hen into my 2 hen spread.

I shot 1 of the longbeards & the other 2 longbeards as well as the hen never spooked. They continued to walk around the spread for the next 5 minutes unfazed.

Only when I stood up from my hide did they move off.

Hard not to draw the conclusion that the DSD hen dekes' lifelike appearance wasn't a factor in my success.

I used a Tactacam 4.0 to film my hunt.

Using OTC parts, I made a magnetic mount for the Tactacam that attaches to my 870 receiver.

Here are video still frames of my kill right before & 51 seconds after my shot.

· Registered
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My DSD Jake like the one in the back has been abused this year......I have been eye balling your new deke as well, very nice!
Flight
The DSD 3/4 strut has definitely been good to me over the years. I’ve yet to have a Tom go to the hen decoy when in its presence. A couple years ago they ran a “2nds” sale so I picked up another one. I grabbed this “Posturing Jake” just to change it up a bit and add a lil more dimension to the spread. I have a couple field sets that added visibility won’t hurt either. I’ll probably grab their strutter Jake at some point. I had a stubborn Tom one year that wouldn’t leave his hens. Drove me nuts most of the season. I bought a “Pretty Boy” strutter and killed him the first set with it on the final day of season. I’m sure it’s still work fine today I just love the realism of the DSD’s and I think sometimes their realism overcomes their lack of motion on wary gobblers. They’re game changers IMO and add a lot of enjoyment to the hunt.

· Registered
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First season using my DSD feeding & upright hen decoys.

Called 3 longbeards & a hen into my hen spread.

I shot 1 of the longbeards & the other 2 longbeards as well as the hen never spooked. They continued to walk around the spread for the next 5 minutes unfazed.

Only when I stood up from my hide did they move off.

Hard not to draw the conclusion that the DSD hen dekes' lifelike appearance wasn't a factor in my success.

I used a Tactacam 4.0 to film my hunt.

Using OTC parts, I made a magnetic mount for the Tactacam that attaches to my 870 receiver.

Here's a video frame of my kill right before my shot.

View attachment 766173
That sounds like a great hunt! He was certainly close enough!!! Congratulations! Thank you for the info on the tactacam. What kind of range does that have?

I totally agree. The decoys are incredible. They definitely sell themselves to the birds. Their interaction with them is fun to watch. We had a hen maul our leading hen for 10 minutes. Gave my 3 year old daughter a real show.

· Registered
2,089 Posts
That sounds like a great hunt! He was certainly close enough!!! Congratulations! Thank you for the info on the tactacam. What kind of range does that have?

I totally agree. The decoys are incredible. They definitely sell themselves to the birds. Their interaction with them is fun to watch. We had a hen maul our leading hen for 10 minutes. Gave my 3 year old daughter a real show.

IMO, an out-of-the-box Tactacam is a perfect "kill range"(30yds & under) turkey camera.

To increase long range resolution for deer hunting, I'm going to buy the Tactacam FTS accessory that films through your scope, so I would then have my Leupold 3x9 magnification of the target.

Below is a video frame from my out-of-the-box Tactacam 4.0 of a doe (inside imposed green circle) I shot last fall at 145yds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.