Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
15,296 Posts
Saw a PSA type post on social media this week to michigan deer hunters and mandatory reporting. There were about 80 responses in the conments saying there was no way they were reporting. Some seem to misunderstand thinking they didnt need to report if they didnt take it to a processor. Only ome person was trying to speak in defense of mandatory reporting.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i wouldn't really put much stock in facebook comments. only the motivated minority are gonna feel compelled to bitch about something

the vast majority of people will just shrug and take the 2 minutes to check their deer in

I'm mildly annoyed by it, but I've taken the survey when I've been mailed it, and self-reported my deer activity on the voluntary online one the last few years. The least I could do to help the resource

The same people who complain about doing stuff like this are going to complain about the DNR not managing the resource right

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
i wouldn't really put much stock in facebook comments. only the motivated minority are gonna feel compelled to bitch about something

the vast majority of people will just shrug and take the 2 minutes to check their deer in

I'm mildly annoyed by it, but I've taken the survey when I've been mailed it, and self-reported my deer activity on the voluntary online one the last few years. The least I could do to help the resource

The same people who complain about doing stuff like this are going to complain about the DNR not managing the resource right
Do u consider 2 buck tags and 10 antlerless tags per hunter good management?
At 550,000 hunters that's a possibility of killing 6,600,000 deer in one season

·
47,852 Posts
Saw a PSA type post on social media this week to michigan deer hunters and mandatory reporting. There were about 80 responses in the conments saying there was no way they were reporting. Some seem to misunderstand thinking they didnt need to report if they didnt take it to a processor. Only ome person was trying to speak in defense of mandatory reporting.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Don't look into that too much. Its like this forum. Our views on certain topics are generally skewed in one direction.

·
47,852 Posts
Do u consider 2 buck tags and 10 antlerless tags per hunter good management?
At 550,000 hunters that's a possibility of killing 6,600,000 deer in one season
Ha. You know very well that it doesn't translate to killing that many. It seems what they are doing is convincing a handful of people who just want to kill deer to participate in that, theoretically increasing kill by a small amount, probably even negligible, while increasing income a small amount.

·
Premium Member
Peta and Vegans hate me.
268 Posts
I like it. Not only will they get data from people who can be too lazy to fill out the paper one like me, but the data they collect online will be much easier to use than piles of paper forms. Also no printing paper forms, and reprinting them all when they want to change a question. Also no postage cost for anyone. Even if it's a terrible web site as most state of Michigan web sites tend to be, I see it as a win.

·
Registered
40,777 Posts
Ha. You know very well that it doesn't translate to killing that many. It seems what they are doing is convincing a handful of people who just want to kill deer to participate in that, theoretically increasing kill by a small amount, probably even negligible, while increasing income a small amount.
The harvest stats showed that deer kill went down since the introduction of universal tags proving the number of available tags has nothing to do with number of deer actually killed. Tags sales actually dropped ~4% from 2020 with the introduction of extra available tags.

·
47,852 Posts
The harvest stats showed that deer kill went down since the introduction of universal tags proving the number of available tags has nothing to do with number of deer actually killed. Tags sales actually dropped ~4% from 2020 with the introduction of extra available tags.
So negligible. Saying "nothing" to do with it is kinda off base, imo. I guarantee some people did take advantage and that did not reduce the number of tags other people bought.

I dont think the impact is large enough to even see when other things like social changes and less hunters are bigger.

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Just for clarification you check your deer on line or is there an option to call it in?
No - There is no option to call in and report by phone. It must be done on-line.

Hunters who can’t report their harvest due to a lack of internet access or smart device may get help from a family member or friend with access, by providing them with their kill tag license number, date of birth and harvest location to report on the hunter’s behalf. Reporting by phone to the DNR is not possible because of the need for accurate harvest location data, which is provided by selecting the location on a digital map.

I see that the free successful hunter patch has now turned to you may purchase one if you like...

For those who would also like to commemorate the 2022 season with a deer patch, they will be available for purchase later this fall at Michigan.gov/DNRLicenses or in the DNR mobile app for $8 each, while supplies last.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Just shows they are willing to sell waaayyy more tags than there are deer. Again, good management? Quite laughable

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
But with mandatory reporting we will know how many deer there are! :unsure:
If broken down by township I will have a good idea which areas have lots/less deer.

Again u think 2 buck tags & 10 antlerless per hunt is good management?

Do u think regardless of data from check in the dnr will change anything?

·
Registered
40,777 Posts
It’s pretty obvious where more antlerless deer need to be taken if the DNR wants to reduce disease spread. Maybe $5 tags like in the MAZ should be implemented.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
47,852 Posts
If broken down by township I will have a good idea which areas have lots/less deer.

Again u think 2 buck tags & 10 antlerless per hunt is good management?

Do u think regardless of data from check in the dnr will change anything?
I dont think anything of the 12 tags. I don't think it matters. I don't consider it "bad" management if you know it really won't have much impact.

Change? Nah. Like you said the best thing will be a better heat map of deer population (or kill density I guess).

21 - 40 of 267 Posts