Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been hunting a buddies property here in town for the last couple years and we're looking to plant a food plot this spring or fall. it's a little over an acre in size, bordered by a road, two drives and the house. I'd like to give the deer some cover/protection from the road as they are very nocturnal in the area. was thinking about planting a row or two of pines along the roadside, what do you think about this? The field was planted with grass several years ago but nothing has been done to it for awhile. It appears to have pretty good soil, i still need to get it tested. Does anyone have some recommendations as to what to plant? we don't want to break the bank but are willing to spend some money and a lot of time to make this successful. We've also thrown around the idea of planting a few apple trees, any opinions on this? We have a disc and rototiller to work with. The primary purpose of this is to draw and hold deer. I've attached an aerial of the property. Thanks for any help/suggestions guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. What would be a "faster growing, invasive tree"? I like the idea of planting pines. What type of pine would you recommend planting? What size and approx. cost? How far apart should the pines be planted?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Norway Spruce are usually the trees that guys like to plant around here. They grow the fastest of the spruce tress and they will keep their branches low to the ground for life. Plant in double staggered rows. Use Egyptian wheat or BMR sorghum as a temporary screen every year until the spruce fill in. Looks like you could have a real nice plot in this area.
Good luck

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great info guys, i'm thinking we'll try two rows of norways, spaced 8' apart. what size is ideal for planting? Is springtime a good time to plant? Any places in the muskegon/ottawa county area to pick some up? We are also considering planting maybe a dozen apple trees on the other side of the field, we'd like to get something that will produce within a year or two without breaking the bank, any ideas (size, strain, etc)? As for the remainder of the field, any suggestions on seed? I know it will be dependent on PH levels, but what about wheat, oats, clover, rye, etc. again, our main desire is to attract and hold deer.

thanks,

·
Banned
5,591 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
every Christmas buy a live balled tree. Transplant it right after the holidays in a pre dug hole before the soil freezes. Have a few relatives do the same and save several years of time.
for the cost you are going to be spending on a single acre. Get out and buy some more land. Its cheaper than ever right now.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks again for all the info guys. I'm thinking about picking up some of the zumi crabapple trees from coldstream. Was considering the 2-3' variety. How many years on average does it take before these would start producing apples? What kind of spacing would you want with theses crabapple tree? thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.