Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just broke the end on my rod drifting under a limb the other night. The rod was a 9" 6wt Greys GS2, 4 pc. I don't know too much about fly fishing, but this was my first rod and I really loved it with not much else to compare to. I bought the rod in 2012 and it is now discontinued.

I am looking to replace it with an entry level rod in the $100-300 range.

There are a lot of options out there so I thought I would get the common opinion. Open to any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,968 Posts
These TFO rods are a really good buy. If you have a reel set up with 6 weight line, sometimes the faster action TFO rods do well lined up 1 weight level.

It all depends on where you want to fish. Tight casting lanes and a shorter rod can be nice.

Super inexpensive.

The Greys I think were owned by Hardy which I think also owns Fenwick now. If you want to stay under $200, Fenwicks are a great deal.

Personally, I’d go to the Orvis shop in Royal Oak with the reel you used on your Greys and cast the 9’ 6 weight Clearwater II line. I think they’re around $230 and come with a 25 year warranty against breakage. See how your reel balances and how the line you have now casts.

www.Sierra.com and www.MRFC.com frequently close out discontinued rod lines. The fly rod companies often announce which rods are being discontinued in August if you’re able to wait. When Orvis closes out the Clearwaters, there are some great deals!

good luck

·
Premium Member
7,968 Posts
Mayfly Outfitters is a Holland, Michigan based fly shop that offers excellent deals on EBay. They do have a really well stocked fly shop in Holland if you want to cast one of their rods.

In terms of an American made rod close to the price point you mention, the Sage Foundation is $350 before tax. Mayfly does offer them with a free fly line which saves you around $60 for a pretty good SA fly line;

Mayfly is my favorite place to buy gear lately because of the great deals and the owner is super nice.

·
Premium Member
7,968 Posts

The Sage website indicates the Foundation is handcrafted in the USA. $350 for an American made fly rod with good action and breakage warranty. It’s a tough call as to whether to go $100 less with the Orvis with it being foreign made.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe Greys has the GR 80 and GR 60 now. GR 80 got a great review on Tridentflyfishing.com and its affordable. Take a look at Douglas. I have the LRS in a 7 weight and DXF in a 6 weight. LRS is $249 and The Painted Trout in Dexter carries Douglas. The Sage Foundation is a great little rod in the 6 weight. I've cast it and it's really nice for the price. Hardy Shadow is also an affordable option but I haven't cast the rod just read reviews.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Echo and TFO rod companies are great for this price range. Also check out Orvis Clearwater.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These TFO rods are a really good buy. If you have a reel set up with 6 weight line, sometimes the faster action TFO rods do well lined up 1 weight level.

It all depends on where you want to fish. Tight casting lanes and a shorter rod can be nice.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Super inexpensive.

The Greys I think were owned by Hardy which I think also owns Fenwick now. If you want to stay under $200, Fenwicks are a great deal.

Personally, I’d go to the Orvis shop in Royal Oak with the reel you used on your Greys and cast the 9’ 6 weight Clearwater II line. I think they’re around $230 and come with a 25 year warranty against breakage. See how your reel balances and how the line you have now casts.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

www.Sierra.com and www.MRFC.com frequently close out discontinued rod lines. The fly rod companies often announce which rods are being discontinued in August if you’re able to wait. When Orvis closes out the Clearwaters, there are some great deals!

good luck
Thanks for the quick response guy, I actually got my original rod from Sierra trading post back in 2012 on a ridiculous deal. I may try hold off until august, but I really want to get back at it. After dealing with customer service from Greys, now based in England, I think I might be better off with another brand that has local distributors. I have an echo ion real that I really like and I have read some good reviews on their rods. @Lamarsh have you used any of the Echo rods?

It seems like most companies have a rod in the 200-300 dollar range. I assume at my beginner level it wont make too much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
7,968 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guy, I actually got my original rod from Sierra trading post back in 2012 on a ridiculous deal. I may try hold off until august, but I really want to get back at it. After dealing with customer service from Greys, now based in England, I think I might be better off with another brand that has local distributors. I have an echo ion real that I really like and I have read some good reviews on their rods. @Lamarsh have you used any of the Echo rods?

It seems like most companies have a rod in the 200-300 dollar range. I assume at my beginner level it wont make too much of a difference.
I think the Orvis warranty might be the best at that price point.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
@Lamarsh have you used any of the Echo rods
I have their 10'6" 7wt switch rod and their 11' 3wt Shadow X. Both are very specialized rods, but I like them a lot and have a lot of confidence in the company. I own quite a few rods, plenty very high end, mid range and budget. Echo has a full lineup of rods for nearly every application, as well as a handful of all arounders. Their designs IMO are top notch, and that's not surprising because Tim Rajeff is one of the owners. They just manufacture overseas so they save money manufacturing, as opposed to rolling blanks and building rods in the USA. They have a great warranty as well.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
If you can swing a few more bucks I’d go with a Winston. Hands down my favorite rod company. Great casting rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
456 Posts
There’s so many options out there. I’m just a hack at it but have never really been able to notice much difference between a $100 rod and a $1,000 rod. I can however see the difference in a $20 line versus a $100 line. For me anyway the newer super fast rods just don’t work. I prefer a true to weight rod.
My most recent purchase is an LL Bean Pocketwater 7 1/2’ 4 weight. It’s S glass so lighter and stronger than more old school stuff. It’s also the most I’ve ever spent on a fly rod - $200. With a Cortland 444 peach WF4 it’s quickly become my go to rod under most circumstance.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Redington Classic Trout 8.5' 5 wt that I like a lot. You didn't mention what kind of fishing you're into, but if it's trout, that's my recommendation. It'll handle smaller streamers, but if you're primarily fishing for bass or carp, you'd probably be better suited with a different rod. I also have an Echo Base 8wt that's fine, but you can do better with your budget.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
I have their 10'6" 7wt switch rod and their 11' 3wt Shadow X. Both are very specialized rods, but I like them a lot and have a lot of confidence in the company. I own quite a few rods, plenty very high end, mid range and budget. Echo has a full lineup of rods for nearly every application, as well as a handful of all arounders. Their designs IMO are top notch, and that's not surprising because Tim Rajeff is one of the owners. They just manufacture overseas so they save money manufacturing, as opposed to rolling blanks and building rods in the USA. They have a great warranty as well.
I’m curious what you do with an 11’ 3 weight? I love the 3 weight, mine are 9’ or less. I’m intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Ypsimax I am mostly fishing for trout. The Redington Trout Classic is on my list, it was highly suggested from a friend.

I was actually leaning in the direction of Echo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@Ypsimax I am mostly fishing for trout. The Redington Trout Classic is on my list, it was highly suggested from a friend.

I was actually leaning in the direction of Echo.
The Classic Trout is a medium to slow action rod with a vintage-y aesthetic , which I like, but might not be for everyone. The Echo I have is their entry level rod, the Echo Base and is an 8wt, so I'm using it to chuck larger flies for bass mostly. I believe it was replaced by the Echo Lift in their catalog. I've only been fly fishing for a few years and don't have a whole lot of experience with different rods, but based on my limited experience, I would go with Redington as I like the styling and have been very happy with the CT. The Echo rods just in appearance seem too modern for me and my experience with the Base is just meh. My opinions are also probably based on the experience of casting a 5wt vs an 8wt - being able to cast small flies with pinpoint accuracy vs throwing large flies a limited distance with much less accuracy. Both companies have similar warranties and have a good reputation for customer service.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I’m curious what you do with an 11’ 3 weight? I love the 3 weight, mine are 9’ or less. I’m intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
This rod class (10'-11' 2-4wt rods with super light tips and heavy butt and mid sections) are exclusively made for euro / tightline nymphing. They do, however, cast dry flies well enough to not go switch rods if you want to switch to dries while nymphing.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
This rod class (10'-11' 2-4wt rods with super light tips and heavy butt and mid sections) are exclusively made for euro / tightline nymphing. They do, however, cast dry flies well enough to not go switch rods if you want to switch to dries while nymphing.
That makes sense. Thanks, might have to try that. Always looking for an excuse to get a new rod!

·
Premium Member
7,968 Posts
Orvis is offering 15 percent off if you give them your email address

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally some good news, Greys is replacing my broken rod with a GR80 for a small service fee. I bought my original GS2 around 2012(my first fly rod) and it is now discontinued, I figured it was worth a shot to reach out to customer service to see if it had a warranty or could be repaired. It was a pain in the @$$ to find a distributer to talk with. Greys is now under Pure Fishing and is based out of the UK for the last 10 years. The Pure Fishing website didn't have any information for US customer service but I was able to get a hold of someone in England after 3 days of attempts. They are replacing my rod with a new model. Customer service was not easy to find but I cant complain with a no questions asked replacement.

In the mean time I have been fishing with a friends 4 wt and have been really enjoying it on small streams. I am considering picking up 4 wt of my own and narrowed it down to the Echo Carbon XL or Redington Trout Classic. I have been reading so much on both rods and have came to the conclusions they are similar good buys for the price. Carbon XL is likely slightly faster and the CT a little more responsive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts