Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am a waterfowler by heart but this summer my family and I made a trip to Colorado and I fished the Taylor river four days in a row. WOW!!!! Now I now why you guys love what you do best. After landing dozens of 4-6 lbs rainbows and browns I decided that I need a better rod set up. I have about $500 to spend and I have been looking at the cabelas line "STi" & "FT+"! Is this a good chioce or would you recomend something different? I'm thinking of a 9' #6 weight? I plan to do some dry fly and nymphing with it.

Thanks for the advice!

Gooseman~

·
Registered
363 Posts
Probably get the 4 piece. I'll sell you one for 10% less than the Orvis price.

Have you tried the Helios yet Esox? That is the reason why the Zero G is going bye bye.

·
Super Moderator
37,806 Posts
I tried the Helios before I got my ZG 4 wt. I actually liked the ZG better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Before you go to Cabelas or Gander Mtn, I recommend finding a local fly shop and going there.

Hopefully, you'll be so impressed you'll buy your equipment there. Most fly shops will give you a ton of advice, let you try anything out, and typically carry better quality items that the big name stores.

You pay a little extra, but it'll be worth it. I went to straight to Cabelas for my first rig and regret it now.

Hi guys, I am a waterfowler by heart ut this summer my family and I made a trip to Colorado and I fished the Taylor river four days in a row. WOW!!!! Now I now why you guys love what you do best. After landing dozens of 4-6 lbs rainbows and browns I decided that I need a better rod set up. I have about $500 to spend and I have been looking at the cabelas line "STi" & "FT+"! Is this a good chioce or would you recomend something different? I'm thinking of a 9' #6 weight? I plan to do some dry fly and nymphing with it.

Thanks for the advice!

Gooseman~

·
Registered
762 Posts
The big outdoor shops dont let you test cast rods...so find a nice fly shop. I wouldn't bother looking at Cabela's brand fly rods. Look at TFO or St. Croix instead. TFOs are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
How about a custom made rod. A good rod builder can put something together based on what you want. Maybe worth a call.

Midwest Custom Rods. Steve puts together some pretty sweet sticks!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm thinking of a 9' #6 weight? I plan to do some dry fly and nymphing with it.
It is really more target-specific, than technique-specific. Orvis has a really good chart, explaining this.

I have a 9' 6wt TFO Pro Series and I've never thrown a dry fly with it. I would probably drop down to a 4wt for that. But, I do have to say that it would be a good choice for covering Michigan with a single rod. You can throw streamers at largemouth and pike in the lake or nymphs at trout and smallies in the river. And, if you hook up with a steelhead, then you won't be too outclassed.

Spend some money on Rio Grand line - that seems to be a good all around line that beginners and pros seem to like, universally. Most of the specialty steelhead lines also seem to fall into that category.

Best of luck - and do try to test cast before you buy. Matching a rod to the individual's particular casting style seems to be the most important aspect out there. Everyone is different so not everyone will like a single rod.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
seriously.... find a rod that fits your personal tastes and your casting stroke. price tag and brand name should be the last thing you look at.

now, to get started a local shop that can give advice, let you test stuff out prior to buying, etc. is invaluable.

btw, i know steve at midwest custom fly rods and hes a real good guy and puts together some darn nice stix for reasonable sums of money if you would decide to go that route.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'd also suggest going to an actual fly shop and trying a bunch of different rods to see which one suits you best. They'll also be able to give you some great advice on all things flyfishing. That being said the St. Croix Legend Ultra gets my vote. I love that rod. :D

Joe

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
i have all sorts of rods, and my preferences (I have customs, off the shelfs, and one-offs) are: 9' 5wt 4pc St. Croix Legend Ultra, 8' 3wt CTS Maxim, 8'9" 3 wt shikari shx, 9' 9wt 4pc All Star Austin.....

i have probably 15 other rod, and they all get used in certain circumstances, such as a 9' 6wt TiCr TFO for streamers, a 9'7wt FLO+ Fly Logic for streamers/steelhead, a 9' 5 wt Sage DSII for nymphing....

but like i said, it all depends on you and your own casting stroke/feel. cast a lot of rods, nearly anything you can get ahold of, you will figure out what feels good to you and what doesn't ($$$$ doesn't mean better casting for you, some of my mid priced rods get used much more than the high end ones), and go from there. Either buy one off the shelf that feels great to you or use your new found knowledge of what feels good to you to coordinate with a custom builder to get you what you want.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I'd also suggest going to an actual fly shop and trying a bunch of different rods to see which one suits you best. They'll also be able to give you some great advice on all things flyfishing. That being said the St. Croix Legend Ultra gets my vote. I love that rod. :D

Joe
I have a 4 piece 8'6" wt St.Croix Ultra as well. It fishes really well. Good speed and nice tip flex to fight the really big fish. Can toss streamers great but sensitive enough for the smallest of Drys. But I have sent it back twice because of pitting in the guides. They claim they have never heard of this issue but it happened to me on two different rods in back to back months. I assume they were using some bad materials. I'm on my third Ultra and so far I have had no pitting with 4 months of hard use.

Can't go wrong with the Orvis ZG. What a sale on a great rod. Love my trout bum 3wt too. That get's the most use these days.

Now I just need to find a replacement for my 8wt Sage. Someone busted it while out in my canoe and didn't bother to tell me!:rant:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good guys, I'll start with a local fly shop and talk to the experts there. I'm sure some of the rods come a good warranty as well.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'm sure some of the rods come a good warranty as well.
Indeed they do - most of the 'big name' rods come with "limited lifetime" warranties, take that for what its worth as from what I hear, rod companies will differ in what they feel like replacing. Orvis, for one, has a 25-year warranty, but many will argue that theirs is the best policy - broken rod, no questions asked, will be replaced (fortunately, I haven't had nearly the warranty experience that some have had, but maybe that means I don't get to fish as much?).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well guys I wanted to get back with you a let you know that I made my purchase and wanted to say thanks for all the tips and pointers. I did as suggested and went to a local fly shop and tried out several there. Very helpful and I would have bought one from them however they didn't have a rod that I liked in a four piece. Getting on with the story I narrowed it down to a Sage Fli rod 9' 4pc 5wt. Then I learned that they were discontinued and therfore $100 of retail price. I had a hard time finding one left for the sale price but did find it finally at Cabelas. I then rigged it with a Ross CLA2 in copper! Now all that's left is the catching fish part.;)

Thanks again

Gooseman~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts