Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here are the candidates, from Gonwer:

The Natural Resources Commission is still planning to interview finalists in its search for a new director for the Department of Natural Resources on April 19. Finalists will be drawn from a list of 14 applicants, most of whom were announced by the commission at its meeting Friday.

Commission Chair Keith Charters (R-Traverse City) said the selection committee would be meeting near the end of the month to narrow down the field, but he also invited other commissioners to look through the nominees and offer suggestions for people to invite for interviews. He said the committee is also keeping the governor’s office informed of the applicants and the finalists.

The commission is seeking a new director after deciding last year not to continue the contract of current director K.L. Cool, whose contract expires in May, at the request of Governor Jennifer Granholm.

In addition to one applicant who has asked that his name be kept confidential unless he is brought in for an interview, the applicants are as follows:

Brian Anderson of Rochester, Illinois, director of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources Office of Resource Conservation.
Richard Bowman of Grand Rapids, executive director of the Michigan Council of Trout Unlimited.
Stephen Dice of Hinckley, Ohio, director of parks operations for Cleveland Metroparks.
Calvin Du Brock of Hummelstown, Pennsylvania, Wildlife Management Director for the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
Gene Francisco of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, executive director of the Wisconsin Professional Loggers Association.
Donna Galante of Rockwood, program manager for the Southeastern Michigan Community Alliance.
Rebecca Humphries of Lowell, chief of the DNR Wildlife Division.
Andrew McElwaine of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, director of the Pennsylvania Environmental Council.
Zane Nobbs of Coleman, Senior Manager at Unism Incorporated, a New York-based financial consulting firm.
Keith Rubin of Houghton Lake, regional director for Eastern Wisconsin for the National Turkey Federation.
Rosemary Vandecar of Cass City, CEO of the Mid-Michigan Dispute Resolution Center in Saginaw.
Mark Van Putten of Reston, Virginia, CEO of the National Wildlife Federation.
Michael Zagata of West Davenport, New York, executive director of NRG Energy, an independent power producer.

Gerald Harris, chief of the DNR’s human resources division, said he was not surprised at the number of applicants, but he was surprised at the low number of frivolous applications. Only three of the 17 applications were rejected as incomplete or not meeting initial standards.

But he said the requirement that applicants submit essay answers to nine questions about their experiences and how those might pertain to the job of DNR director sorted out those who were not truly serious about the post, Mr. Harris said.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
I'd voting for Rebecca Humphries. (spelling on the name) She's been working in this State for wildlife longer than I can remember. A very resonable person with much experience. We found out what an "out-of-Stater" can do with Kool, let's take another path this time.

·
Super Moderator
6,920 Posts
wow for a second there i got all excited cause i thought i saw gary alt's name on there, then my alarm clock went off.:)

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Just heard tonight on Buck LaVaseurs Discovering program the the govorner is going to stay out of this one. I sure hope so!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Hey Guys, dont hold yr breath.

The DNR Director's position is nothing BUT political. Just look at the incumbent's performance ( and lack thereof) the past few years. This post will be decided strictly on PC grounds and Gov Jenny will be all over it.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I disagree NATTY.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
boehr,
The NRC positions are extremely political, as is their decision-making process, so what makes you think the DNR director position would be anything different?

Just curious.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
As to the statement "nothing but political"

Well let us take a look. The Governor does not appoint the Director of the Department of Natural Resources, the NRC does. The applicants must display qualifications and not just be of the same political party that occupies the Capital. The NRC, by law, must be a mixture of political parties. If memory serves, K was not even the first choice when he became Director but the first choice turned it down. In addition, K came from a state that really had no ties to Michigan and even less political impact. If it was so political, since the NRC has to be a mix of political parties do you really think one party would cave to another party just to have a political puppet as the Director? I have seen sportsmen groups weight in as far as public opinion in the past and be heard on what a group wanted in a director as to qualifications. Also in the person who these same groups thought was the best person for the job. I have been around for a few Directors that have came and moved on (five or so). Do you think that an open national search for applicants to apply (not sought or gone after) would yield nothing but political wants. If that was so, lord help the poor person who really just cares about natural resources, hunting, fishing and other recreational pursuits and wanting to make an impact and guide a state like Michigan to be the best.

I am not saying politics play absolutely no part because politics play a part in everything. I have stated that before. Is there anyone here that can say they never have wrote or at least had the idea to write their legislator about a hunting of fishing law they wanted change to benefit them self or what they believed was right, regardless of “G”?

So politics play a part in our lives every day but the present system is, in my opinion, the best system that we can have and does keep politics out of the decision making process better than anyone has ever came up with so far. Hence why I do disagree that the picking of a Director is “nothing but political”.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
"The Governor does not appoint the Director of the Department of Natural Resources, the NRC does."

That statement right there proves how political the process has been, is, and will be.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
So we will agree to disagree.:rolleyes: What would your recommendation be to appoint a new Director?

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Interesting topic now;) It seems to me that there is nothing wrong with a national search. Why not look at the best of the best. Just cause they are from the state does not mean they can't benefit the state. If you feel Kool did not it's more or less because of performance issues not where he raised? Of course there is some politics played, but I think Bohr is right in saying it's the best system out there right now. I'll be like a Budhast Monk and I'll go with philosphy that makes the most sense. Lets here some of them:p I'm open minded.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I'd likewise be delighted to run the search for the new director myself.

Criteria:
- Sound, comprehensive knowledge of wildlife biology
- Proven management skills
- Brass cajones

And, importantly, the candidate should be independently wealthy to the point where he/she doesn't really need the job, so that he cannot be intimidated by NRC politicos. Every time the NRC makes a decision contrary to the recommendations of DNR biologists, he should call an immediate press conference, convincingly browbeat the NRC hacks for what they are, and cheerily point out what a fraud Proposal G has become.

He needs to run the risk of getting fired. But hey, standing up for DNR biologists would at least improve morale in Wildlife Divison. :D

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
One shouldn't slam a belief of what is wrong unless a realistic method to make it better can be placed on the table.:cool:

·
Registered
36,748 Posts
The directors job should go to the most qualified person period, the trouble is, the most qualified may not want this job.

Who or what determines what those qualifications are, is sometimes questionable. :confused:

Maybe the final deciding vote should be Michigan-Sportsman membership. :D

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
boehr,

The main point of this is that it is indeed political, whether it is the best system or not, and you need to look no further than the involvement of the NRC to know the involvement of politics.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Whatever.........

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
:rolleyes: Mmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder what it's like to know everything...........

Maybe the director should be elected. At least nobody could complain about the choice or how they got there......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Hey, I've had 2 NRC directors laugh and say, "Well, you know it's just all political". At the same time, you have a group of people(NRC), making decisions that know less collectively about biology than most of the DNR biologists, and were politically appointed by the governer. When Nancy Douglas was a NRC commisioner she told me as well that the NRC doesn't make a decision unless it is supported by the people, regardless of the welfare of the wildlife or habitat.

The NRC is extremely political, and it deminishes the respect, efficiency, and expertise of the DNR.

I would like to see a panel of leaders of various accredited sportmens organizations, including the Quality Deer Management Associations, Pheasants Forever, National Turkey Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, SCI, MUCC, and anybody else who has a positive message based on science, education, youth involvement, etc., be involved in the decision making process for the welfare of our wildlife and habitat resources. Various groups could pick "their guy or gal", and then narrow it down to a final canidate.

Take the professional politicians out of the process.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts