Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
I would hate to see even one person be excluded from participating as an equal during the Michigan archery season so, I want to bring this to the attention to any person considering applying for a permit to use a crossbow by virtue of the medical disability and, have some advice.

As perhaps you are aware, the Natural Resources Commission (NRC,) at their August 2008 meeting approved Wildlife Conservation Order. Amendment 14. This order defined the revised criteria for determining a permanent medical disability that would enabled that person to obtain a permit to use a crossbow or draw-lock mechanism as their weapon of choice. The Wildlife Conservation Order lists seven specific categories that can be used to determine if you will or will not qualify for a permit.

Here they are:

(a) A functional draw test to simulate the drawback posture and/or position with a weight equivalent to 35 pounds
of resistance for a 4-second duration.

(b) Manual muscle testing: Shoulder flexion, shoulder extension, shoulder abduction (horizontal plane) elbow
flexion and elbow extension are graded equal to or less than 3 of 5 using a standard manual muscle grading scale or
an equivalent test.

(c) Impaired range of motion: Goniometric measurements using the "American medical association guide to evaluation and permanent impairment rating," or other guidelines accepted by the American medical association or an equivalent test. If shoulder flexion is equal to or less than 90 degrees or shoulder extension is equal to or less than 10 degrees or shoulder abduction is equal to or less than 70 degrees or elbow flexion is equal to or less than 90 degrees or elbow extension is equal to or less than negative 20 degrees, the permit may be granted.

(d) Amputations involving body extremities required for stable function to use conventional archery equipment do not require objective test findings. However, the applicant is required to present a physician's certification to be
qualified for a permit.

(e) Any spinal cord injury resulting in permanent disability to the lower extremities, leaving the applicant permanently non-ambulatory or other disability resulting in a permanent wheelchair (mobility device) restriction, as diagnosed by a physician, do not require objective test findings.

(f) Coordination assessment. Coordination is the ability to execute smooth, accurate, controlled movement. Incoordination or coordination deficit describes abnormal motor function characterized by awkward, extraneous, uneven, or inaccurate movements, caused by central nervous disorders, including, but not limited to, Parkinson's disease, cerebral palsy, hemiplegia, hemiparesis, and closed head trauma, or by progressive neuromuscular diseases, such as muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Purpose: to assess the ability of muscles or groups of muscles to work together to perform a task.

(3) Any other permanent disability that renders the applicant unable to use conventional archery equipment as diagnosed by a licensed physician shall be sufficient grounds for granting the permit. The licensed physician must note in general terms how the disability prevents the applicant from using conventional archery equipment other than a crossbow.

The process requires that you take the medical application to either a licensed physician (Medical Doctor, Doctor of Osteopathy, Doctor of Chiropractic) or, a Licensed Occupational Therapist or Licensed Physical therapist as you deep most applicable to your disability. Upon reviewing the application, it appears that one of the seven criteria was not incorporated into the final application, specifically “f”, “Coordination Assessment”.

I have contacted the DNR and the representative I spoke to replied that “coordination assessment” falls under #3, “Any other permanent disability that renders the applicant unable to use conventional archery equipment as diagnosed by a licensed physician shall be sufficient grounds for granting the permit.”

That, to me, is an acceptable and logical answer however; IMHO, it omits the specific language called out in the Wildlife Conservation Order. This could, in turn, cause some ambiguity bya physician who is ultimately determining if you qualify or, do not qualify, for a permit. It’s like saying “ a through f are the things that you must test by and then, if any of those don’t apply, then we have #3, specifically: Any other permanent disability that renders the applicant unable to use conventional archery equipment as diagnosed by a licensed physician shall be sufficient grounds for granting the permit.” Some physicians might not be able (or unwilling) to bridge specific criteria called out in a-f, and proceed to #3, particularly as descriptive as criteria “f” is written. Again, I don’t want to see one person excluded if they might otherwise be able to obtain the permit. Not one!

This doesn’t warrant a big letter writing or email campaign to the DNR/NRC. They are aware of it and, they may choose to change the application (which I recommend) or, leave things as is. What I suggest that you are concerned is about these matters, simply print off a copy of the Wildlife Conservation Order as well as the application and bring both with you to your physician's office when having the application. In that manner, the physician can make his/her determination based upon 100% of the criteria approved in the Wildlife Conservation Order.

Now, there is one other option to mitigate the need to go through all this cost, hassle and effort and that is full inclusion. That will come in time. For the moment, we have this new medical criteria and, it’s all we have. Again, we simply don’t want anybody falling through the cracks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
That is precisely what I did yesterday as that was the first appointment I could get. I highlighted the paragraph on the conservation order that was omitted and showed it to my doctor. He still did not want to go through with the application because it was not on there and he did not want to risk his license. (This is especially true for rural and small town doctors.) However after an extended discussion I convinced him to place my neuromuscular disease and its permanent effects on my abilities on the form. It was sent in shortly after the appointment and now it only remains to be seen whether or not the dnr in Lansing honor it.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Ridge...that's great news.
Riva...Ditto.
Much obliged for that clarification and hopefully Jim see that as well in lieu of the issue with his father.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Glad you will finally fall under the disability permit criteria Ridge. Keep us posted on the results OK?

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Riva, thanks for sharing this. Hopefully someone out there will enjoy this hunting season as a result of the new WCO and your bringing it to our attention.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I also am glad to hear that. It would also be nice if someone could use a modified bow with the same qualifications.:)

You see that would allow a bowhunter the OPTION of using the equipment he has and that with which he is familiar instead of having to buy an expensive crossbow.

Strange that no one ever complains about the cost of a crossbow but many are quick to point out the outlandish expense of seeing a doctor or PT isn't it?

That aside I am pleased with the outcome of the committee and the ruling of the NRC.

·
Registered
720 Posts
...........Strange that no one ever complains about the cost of a crossbow but many are quick to point out the outlandish expense of seeing a doctor or PT isn't it?
If one wants to hunt with a crossbow, or any other piece of hunting equipment they must first buy, beg or borrow that piece of equipment. That is a forgone fact.

No one except someone that wants and needs to use a crossbow has to jump through doctor hoops and pay at least a deductible to go hunting.

Old Tom can just "buy, beg or borrow his piece of equipment" to go hunting, while TOW has to do that AND pay the piper (Doctor).

The latter requirement should not even exist..

Besides nobody has too many hunting "toys". ;)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If one wants to hunt with a crossbow, or any other piece of hunting equipment they must first buy, beg or borrow that piece of equipment. That is a forgone fact.

No one except someone that wants and needs to use a crossbow has to jump through doctor hoops and pay at least a deductible to go hunting.

Old Tom can just "buy, beg or borrow his piece of equipment" to go hunting, while TOW has to do that AND pay the piper (Doctor).

The latter requirement should not even exist..

Besides nobody has too many hunting "toys". ;)
Why does one qualify for a crossbow permit and not a modified bow permit?

It doesn't sell crossbows, that's why. That was made perfectly clear at the first committee meeting.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts

It doesn't sell crossbows, that's why. That was made perfectly clear at the first committee meeting.
Didn't do a darn thing to allow my 81 year old father out. Neither permit did.

But yes he had to jump through hoops as some say and beg Doctors to label him Permanently Disabled. See no option was left available for him.

Long story short here.
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252091

Now perhap you could explain what else was left fom him to do. Why is it so many "select people" don't want him in the "ARCHERY "woods, on his own land????? What are you affraid of?

Skinner

·
Registered
6,111 Posts

Modifed needs some loss of use from one upper EXTREMITY. Loss is not spelled out weakness as in old age.

Skinner

·
Registered
720 Posts

Hogwash.

I've heard that same story in every state that has recently legalized or expanded their crossbow season and not one distractor has ever provided one iota of proof that sales of crossbows (manufacturers) were pushing the legalization/expansion of crossbow usage.

Its a scare tactic booger bear that antis bring up without any proof..

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hogwash.

I've heard that same story in every state that has recently legalized or expanded their crossbow season and not one distractor has ever provided one iota of proof that sales of crossbows (manufacturers) were pushing the legalization/expansion of crossbow usage.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hogwash.

Oh, you mean like this:

"Eight people showed up at that (first) meeting to testify in favor of crossbows, and five of them were from the crossbow industry," said Jerry Keck, a member of the Michigan Bowhunters Association, as well as the NRC's subcommittee on crossbows. "Twelve people testified with concerns about it. Two of the people in support of legalizing crossbows gave a ... presentation from the Archery Trade Association, and after that presentation Sheltrown said he wanted to amend the legislation and make it all-inclusive".

:dizzy::dizzy:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Oh, you mean like this:

"Eight people showed up at that (first) meeting to testify in favor of crossbows, and five of them were from the crossbow industry," said Jerry Keck, a member of the Michigan Bowhunters Association, as well as the NRC's subcommittee on crossbows. "Twelve people testified with concerns about it. Two of the people in support of legalizing crossbows gave a ... presentation from the Archery Trade Association, and after that presentation Sheltrown said he wanted to amend the legislation and make it all-inclusive".

:dizzy::dizzy:
And by now EVERYONE should know without doubt that the first sentence of that quote was complete fabrication !! (except Keck's bio) ..... Toward what end, one could only speculate ! ...
~m~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Skinner, did your Father receive his crossbow permit from the MDNR without the need of an application?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts