Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the market for a new crossbow. My wicked ridge warrior quite frankly, I’m not happy with. The sling mount broke off on the front and I’m tired of always having to carry it without a sling through the woods. I’m not typically a full time tree stand hunter so being able to use a sling again would be nice. To top it off it’s not shooting like it used to. Ive had it checked out and all maintenance has been done every year but I think its time for an upgrade. I’ve had my eye on a Ravin R10 or R20. I’d definitely prefer to stay in the R10 price range or under but I’m not opposed to spending R20 money if it’s worth it.

I’m also not opposed to getting something other than a Ravin.

Anyone have any solid recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Killer Instinct. A full range of bows cost wise with rock solid warranty.

And I do not work for them. I own a swat 408 and a swat xp and am getting the swat x1. These are revolutionary bows, barreled, and eliminate arrow/archers paradox. All of them crazy accurate out of the box.

I first wanted a ravin, not anymore.

I broke one and it was my fault, they fixed it no questions asked.

Killer instinct all the way. Give any one of them a look. Especially the swat series. Wait for the X1, it'll be buy that and be done.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Excalibur !! Your don't need hypersonic 500FPS speeds to harvest deer. Buy any Excal model and you'll harvest every deer that appears within 30 yards. And if you go with 400gr or heavier arrows, you'll have a crossbow which will never break or let you down.

·
Registered
36,670 Posts
Take the time to read most compound crossbows operation manuals. They need the cables replaced every other year. In ten years time you’ll have spent more on maintenance than the cost of the bow. With an Excalibur you can remove the string during the off season extending the life of the limbs and string on your kitchen table. You can’t say that with any compound crossbow. That technology was thought out decades ago and still is not out of date. Can anybody name a crossbow that is 3-4 decades old and is still in use aside from an Excaliber?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just went with a Tenpoint Siege RS410 after shooting both of the Ravins you mentioned. The Tenpoint Viper S400 was my second choice out of the 8 or 9 I shot that day. Mainly went with the Siege because of how I will be hunting with it; sitting flat on the ground shooting offhand. The reverse limb X-bows seemed to balance better for the offhand shot to me. Scorpyd is another X-bow I would look at, just wish there was somewhere near by to try a Scorpyd before buying it (might have gone consumer direct, buy not 100% sure).

Shoot as many as you can and pick the one that fits your needs and feels the best to you. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Take the time to read most compound crossbows operation manuals. They need the cables replaced every other year. In ten years time you’ll have spent more on maintenance than the cost of the bow. With an Excalibur you can remove the string during the off season extending the life of the limbs and string on your kitchen table. You can’t say that with any compound crossbow. That technology was thought out decades ago and still is not out of date. Can anybody name a crossbow that is 3-4 decades old and is still in use aside from an Excaliber?
That's odd, I have two killer instinct bows, swat 408 and xp. Neither needs maintenance.

...and no broken limbs as seen on the excals

With all due respect, you are wrong.

·
Registered
36,670 Posts
That's odd, I have two killer instinct bows, swat 408 and xp. Neither needs maintenance.

Killer instinct recommends replacing the string and cables every three years. In ten years time you put enough money into that bow where you could have purchased an Excaliber. Read the owners manual and you will see you are the one who is mistaken. Need a link to killer instinct owners manual?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts

Nobody's wrong, it's just YMMV. But Luv2 is correct about manufacturer string replacement recommendation. The fact that yours hasn't let go - yet - is good fortune.

Excal, as all crossbow manufacturers, has had bad limb batches. But Excal factory replaces those limbs, free of charge, for life. Plus, if you should need to replace limbs, it's DIY with Excal.

Personally, technology has advanced past those.
Of course technology marches on. But faster does not mean better. 300FPS with a 350gr arrow is more than sufficient to harvest any whitetail out to 30 yards. Yes, you can buy a wheelie crossbow that shoots 500FPS, but it won't harvest them any deader than recurves.

My choice for Excal was completely unexpected. When starting out, I too was intrigued with all this "technology": high FPS, wheelie things spinning & making arrows go fast, split limbs, yada yada yada. But then I asked shop owner which of the manufacturers had the least issues. He walked me over to Excalibur recurves, pointed, and simply stated "I've never had one come back for warranty or any other work needed." Never looked back, no regrets.

My first Vortex model (330FPS) has harvested every deer within its crosshairs for years. Added a Matrix to my stable this year. Looking forward to extending the Excalibur streak of 100% harvest success with 355FPS and 380FPS.

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
Excal limb issues arrived when the "need" for speed craze took hold of the market.
Ownership has changed too.

I ended up with multiple older model Excals for thier self serviceability.
No complaints. Changing strings and adjusting string length /brace height is no problem.
(My changing strings is more often installing custom strings than worn strings. Stock strings are fine enough. But hey , pretty personally chosen colors spice things up.)

Far as I know limb issues of some years back have been resolved. IF I researched a used bow and limbs fell in suspected manufacturing range where defects occurred , I'd check availability of replacement limbs and swap them out if possible.

There are some things that can be done to some Excals. Not so unlike other manufacturers products.
If someone makes the perfect bow for everyone I missed it.
Durability and self serviceability in the field suits me fine. I avoid needing service in the field. But retain the option as an insurance of sorts.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
While I'm no crossbow expert by any stretch of the imagination,I do read a bunch and am fimilar with many of them. Every one should have there strings and cables replaced frequently ( exept Excal no cables). Just taking one into a shop can be a eye opener and hit to the wallet. On top of that many "stock "strings are plan junk and will give you fitts as they are constantly stretching ,more times more then not you are having to adjust timing of the cams. With Excalibur its one string that you can adjust yourelf without buying a expensive press. You can buy a custom flemish string for around $45 and your set. Also shoot heavier bolts\arrows will help with any limb issues.
You dont need a 400 FPS xbow to kill a deer at 20 yards ( or the same distance a n eight year old kid can throw a rock an hit one lol) But if you want to chase the holy grail of speed ,have at it but be prepared for that one day you have off in November and you open the case to go hunting , the F me phrase jumps out of your mouth. Because your little hot rod of a xbow is either come unglued or cams are out of time. At least you can see all of the bucks chasing on your way to the shop or watch us on the Live from the stand thread. Maybe next year lol. Just joking guys but it is something to think about.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Killer instinct recommends replacing the string and cables every three years. In ten years time you put enough money into that bow where you could have purchased an Excaliber. Read the owners manual and you will see you are the one who is mistaken. Need a link to killer instinct owners manual?
I misquoted the word maintenance. All strings and cables need maintenance.

Unfortunately Excalibers have been known to need maintenance on their limbs.

And again, no offense meant, they are just plain ugly bows to me. Just my opinion, that's all.

BTW, I have not had any issues with strings and cables. My 408 will be 3 years old this year, it will be the backup. If the X1 surfaces on time,, the 408 will be for sale. I took that one to KI last year and had them go through it. No issues found.

The XP s&c are a year old, nothing wrong with them either.

I wax and apply Trident regularly to both.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts