Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot a red phase bird yesterday in some private land adjacent to a corn field. Maybe it's just because we normally hunt public land, but in 25 years of hunting grouse I've never seen a crop stuffed with corn.

Anyone else see this regularly?

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was at my camp in December and walking thru the corn food plot I flushed up three grouse that surprised me and I was not toting my gun as I was jsut checking out the deer activity in the corn in preparation for the muzzy season. That was the first time I had ever flushed grouse out of standing corn. They flew into the pines next to the food plot. Just what they like, food and cover.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Early December I often run into corn filled crops here in the EUP on public lands. Many deer hunters use feeders up here and keep them going thru muzzleloader, usually a good sized flock will be nearby. If I know someone is baiting an area I try to stay away, but still occasionally bump into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
literally everything eats corn. In the NELP we see as many grouse as deer coming into a coffee can of corn.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Corn is king

·
Registered
5 Posts
During rifle season in the NLP 2 Grouse came in and spent some time on the corn bait pile. Pretty cool to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

First I've shot with carrots earlier this year....shot them with corn many times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts