Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this was addressed ealier in the fall. I was wondering, now that we will have a uniform Concealed Carry law going into place, will the restricted CCW permits be illiminated? I was looking into a CCW permit for Hunting & Target use only (which is all I realy need personally) But I might as well get the Unrestricted (well less restricted anyway)now.
If I get a permit issued to me in Allegan Co., will this be good for the whole state?
I really only want it for while hunting in the UP.

------------------
Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mseibers,
The way I read the law,current restricted ccw's can be "Renewed" and upgraded June 1st,to "General".A $35.00 fee will be charged for the renewal,and you will have to provide a training certificate for a course of instruction that involved 8 hours of instruction and 3 hours of range time.
Right now,we are pulling our hair out trying to figure out the training requirements and how to provide what is required with our NRA instructors at our club.
There is a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo and gobblety goop to get clarified before I can say exactly what content will be.
If you need a class and don't mind a drive to Watervliet Rod and gun for the class.
Give Kurt Keebler(Training and education co-ordinator)a call 616-637-4919 and get signed up.We will have several NRA basic pistol and personal protection classes a month,starting in Febuary,and they will be dovetailed to fit the states requirements once they are clarified.If you do,say hello on the way down!Cheers!Pat

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer on the CCW permits Pat also for the the offer of the training at your club.
I spoke to my dad earlier tonite and he told me our club, The South Kent Sportsmens Club,(just a mile down the road :)) is offering the Safety training courses as well.
I'm sure the instructors will have to adjust abit first. Currently they are teaching the NRA certified course. Hopefully the details get worked out soon. I would like to get certified and apply before some idiots try to screw up things by putting this on a ballot proposal. ;)

------------------
Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Does an accepted, approved CCW application allow you to carry any legal firearm?
Or is there any requirement to indicate which firearm(s) the permit should apply to. I would hate for this to become a personal firearms tracking mechanism.
Please excuse me if this is a pretty obvious question.
Thanks in advance for the clarification.
-Amos

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I was listening to the "Talking Heads" the other night when the bill passed and they said that if 100k signatures could be gathered in 90 days they could stop this bill. Is that true?

They also interviewed some politician from Royal Oak that went on to say how underhanded and deceitful this vote was because they waited for the holidays and a lame duck session.

Obviously the only politicians that work this time of year are "Sportsman" as they voted the bill through. Where were the rest of them?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Amos,

Neither the old law or he new law are a firearms tracking system. They are a license to carry a pistol concealed.

I currently have a CCW for my business - I can carry a concealed pistol while working under client contract. There is no listing of what kind of pistol or how many I can carry at one time. It is only a license to carry.

The new law is an attempt to standardize the requirements to get a license - and also it puts the burden of proof on the State.

Currently, I have to get letters from my clients to prove need - even after being fingerprinted, and submetted to an FBI background check, and being grilled by our local gun board for several hours. I have to prove need.

The new law - if signed by Gov. Engler - puts the burden of proof for denial on the State - if I indeed do apply and have met all requirements to have a license.

Think about this: If you are hunting deer with a pistol....and it starts to rain....and you cover your pistol with a poncho to keep it from getting waterspotts....that is carrying a concealed pistol.....that is a felony-firarms crime if you do not have a CCW. Under current law, getting a CCW varies by each County. The local Gun Board decides who gets one and who doesn't - based on your proving need.

ss

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Nailer,

Certainly -- if the Michigan Residents from the Metro-Detroit area get organized (and there is no reason to assume that they will not), and if they get out and get signatures on petitions, they can force a public vote on this law in 2002.

Currently, this proposed law has not even been signed into law by Gov. Engler. If the political pressure put on him by the opposition to not sign outweighs the pressure that we put on him to sign, then he can veto the bill.

That is why we need all people who favor the CCW bill to Write, Phone, Fax, or e-mail Gov. Engler immediately (other postings in this fourm have addresses.)

The opposition - primarily the news media and residents in the Metro-Detroit area - will not let this go by without challenge. Without a focused effort on our part, we will loose this one too (reference to Dove Hunting Bill.)

ss

1 - 7 of 7 Posts