Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking to buy a new bow, my last two bows have been hoyts, and before them I was pretty loyal to my Browning Equipment. My bow now is split limbs and has all the bell and whistles but its 10 yrs old and has a few miles on her to say the least. Please feel free to give a detailed opinion. I must say 1 thing I'm not interested in the Mathews bows, please. I have never been able to properly or comfortably fit into these bows.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I will repeat what Pete Shepley said from PSE at the ATA show. You want a thin grip to keep hand torque to a lesser degree. The big woooden grips on some bows provide you more chance of torque! I wonder what bow has those type of grips? All the other companies have smaller grips except one!! I shot all the bows I can get my hands on at the ATA show this weekend, with the exception of a few. I have my opinions, but they are mine. If someone tells you this one is the best, it will be their opinion, not what might feel good to you. I shot the bow for noise, vibration, feel of the draw cycle, and overall feel of the shot. I am by no means a tester but I know what to look for in a bow. One new bow company, Winchester, had the best when it came to vibration. There was none, notta! The worst was ___ ____ and along with the vibration was noise, and the worst draw cycle. I felt like I was pulling 80lbs, the bow was only 60lbs. I will say the buzz at the show was not the BIG 4 only. Elite, G5, Darton, Strothers, and Athens had some of the best reviews when talking with guys at breakfast from different states. Some stocked some of these bows, some didn't but still had good things to say about them. One of the companies had issues with their strings/cables. These bows are shot from open to close non stop and that is more abuse than most bows can handle. As far as Mathews, they cannot get in the ATA show, as I was told. Anyway they are not in the show, they have to have their own show. Because of this I have to relie on "Bowhunting World" magazine. The specs show it shooting 25fps slower than my bow set up the same weight and same dl. If you look at the draw curve it is not as smooth as some, and the bow is at 4.8oz making it one of the heavist bows on the market. BTW fanboys of Mathews I said nothing that isn't quoted out of the magazine, or from PSE!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the review, I have checked out the Winchester equipment, it is very quality equipment. I have also been checking out the G5 and like the feel and the shooting capabilities.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
So many great bows out there it's hard to make a choice. I'm gonna be in the market for one so I've been spending some time over on Archerytalk. I shoot a Martin right now so I'm gonna give them a chance to keep me as a cutomer. I'm gonna shoot a few of their new bows along with their Rytera Alien X. 2 other bows I want to try are the Darton 3800 and Mathews Z7 Extreme. I keep reading awesome things about the Darton but people are having a hard time finding dealers that carry them. My bows gotta be short, light, fast, super smooth draw cycle and fairly quiet. Gonna stop at Jays on the way up cuz I think they carry most brands.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My best advice to you would be to try out as many bows from every manufacturer as you realistically can, then narrow them down to a couple favorites and choose the one that feels/performs the best for you. I'm in the same boat as you right now and I'm gonna enjoy every second of trying out all the 2011 bows I can get my hands on!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts