Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just got ourselves our first "big" boat. Its a 23' larson. Now we can play with the big boys... one problem though: deciding where to go for vacation. We want to go in July or August.. when is the fishing better??

We usually go to Harbor Beach up in the thumb cuz thats where my dad "megabite" used to fish for years..but the last 2 years we got skunked on the aluminum boat and off the pier.

Anyone know anything about Saginaw Bay, or anywhere really good on the west side? We live in Taylor and dont have the money this year to drive too far north.. so nothing north of manistee please.

Any suggestions? :fish:

Update: camping trip is going to be the first week in July.. probably Ludington area. How should the fishing be? I havent been on the west side since I was a 14.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Ludington is great in August

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have never been disappointed out of Ludington in July or August, just plan your trip around the weather. Nothing worse then getting over there and having a whole weekend of strong south/southwest winds with 4-8ft waves!! Oh...and congrats on the "new" boat!

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Badboy69 said:
I have never been disappointed out of Ludington in July or August, just plan your trip around the weather. Nothing worse then getting over there and having a whole weekend of strong south/southwest winds with 4-8ft waves!! Oh...and congrats on the "new" boat!
Yep..... I have seen 68° surface at the point one nite...... Wind blows and I'm trolling thru 45° the next morning. But if you get over there and she's blowin' 4's, you can climb on my boat..... "She's a good boat, with a good Crew!"

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Are you looking for a vacation on the boat or a trip to do some fishing? For fishing at that time of year, Ludville is hard to beat.

For a relaxing vacation, consider the inland waterway. We did that last year and was actually quite a bit of fun. There is a lot of walleye water to explore, some cool river systems between the lakes and you can blast out to Lake Huron and fish Boise Blanc, Mackinaw and if feeling froggy, head up to Cedarville in the Les Chenoix. I think I spelled that right. It is not too much farther then driving over to Ludington.

Mark

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you enjoy camping check out the Orchard Beach State Park In Manistee. You can make reservations online. Some of the prime camp sites are right on Lake Michigan. I'm not sure what the camping options are in Ludington but it is a little closer drive from Taylor. Frankrort is about the same driving distance as Manistee and has the Sleeping Bear dunes near by. Either port has great salmon fishing that time of year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts