Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I’m in the market for a new deep “V” aluminum boat. I have attended the last two boat shows at the Palace and at Ford field (great way to see a ton product). To my surprise, after looking at numerous makes and models I found myself most attracted to the Tracker Targa 18 walk through. I was hoping to outfit the boat with the Mercury ELPT Optimax 115. I have talked to a couple of guys that have Trackers, and they love them. I was hoping to get some input on what other people think about these boats. Has anyone ever used the ELPT Optimax? And if so, what did you think?

P.S.
As I get closer to buying my new boat I will be selling a 1999 Sylvan Explorer 16ft side console, with a 40hp Johnson, trolling motor, fishfinder, on-board charging system, trailer and cover. So if anyone is interested let me know.

·
Administrator
26,924 Posts
I have a 1999 Tracker Targa W/t windshield. The new ones are a lot better looking than mine. Wish I could trade-in mine for one or a new Tundra. The new ones have more storage areas than mine and nice wide gunnels for rod holders and downriggers.

The 115 Opti should be great. I have a 125hp Merc. will get you about 40-45 MPH. The 115 opti should be real good on gas too.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree with walleye mike. The tundra is definitely the way to go. Everything is aluminum, so there is no wood to rot away. My Lund I sold two years ago, was rotting everywhere. It is also the slickest boat out there. My buddy bought the Targa last year, but he noticed one HUGE problem. The service was the worst he could ever imagine. They shipped the boat to him with a handful of problems before he ever used it. By the time they made hundreds of excuses at the service center, the season was almost over. And I mean it took months. Just cross your fingers and hope you dont have a problem. He noticed while being there numerous times that handfuls of people had the same lousy service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Twoatatime,
Do you know where your buddy has having his boat serviced? I don’t even know if there are other service options available. When I talk with the salesman I will definitely mention to him that I had heard of service nightmares, and see how he handles it. Once your friend got his Targa straightened out, how has he liked it? Has it performed as well as he hoped? Thanks for all the info.

·
Administrator
26,924 Posts
I have heard others with service problems. I haven't had mine in. My buddy took his in the first part of June last year. Got it back 3 weeks later. Had a miss. I told him to replace the plugs then see how it ran. He didn't do it and just took it in and the said they did a tune-up on it and the plugs were fouled. Runs like a champ now. Instead of listening to me it cost him $140 instead of $4 and 3 weeks without a boat.

If you have problems at BPS service center, ask for Ken Neelly(sp) at least he was the manager over there last year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you haven't looked at a Starcraft C Star make sure you do before you make a choice. One thing I like about it over alot of the other boats out is the console is forward in the boat leaving a TON of room in the back to move around and setting lines. The room it gives is like haveing a much bigger boat. I have a 17ft with a 125 on it and it will run 49 gps with two people loaded to fish. Good luck on what ever boat you end up with there sure are a lot of great boats to choose from.
Good Fishing
Tom

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
sajones - I would suggest, go Walleye central.com, go to the forums and on the boats & motors section, do search on Tracker Boats. Lots of opinions good and bad - might help to make Your mind up. As far as the Optimax goes, I have one (175) they are great! One turn starting, mizerly on fuel and oil and FAST! Good luck - Bob WC#253.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The boats are fine but the service sucks. I took my boat there and they had it for 3 months and did not even kepp me posted of the progress. Then when I went to pick it up they tried to charge me 89 dollars when I only pre approved 50.00. Be careful with the service.

10,812 Posts
The Optimax motors are great. I've owned one since 1999 and have not had any problems to speak of. One thing to keep in mind though is the oil they use is special and quite expensive (about $20 a galon). The spark plugs are also expensive ($18 each) and must be changed once a year or more if you troll a lot.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sajones,

I believe their service location is off of Baldwin rd. in Auburn Hills. The other nearest store I believe is in Grand Rapids. Most of the dealers just want to sell them, not fix them. If you have any other questions, let me know.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well I will be starting my 4th season with my tundra and I must say I love it. This thing preformes great in ruff water and I have had no problems with service, I would not buy it at Bass Pro they are not the best people to deal with for service. Maby check out D&R one of our sponsers.

10,812 Posts
Originally posted by suckerbass
Maby check out D&R one of our sponsers.
I'd second that one. My experiences with D&R's service dept. were great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasn’t aware that D&R handled Tracker boats. How do their prices compare to BPS? And where are they located? I would much rather buy a boat from a regular marine styled dealer. I think part of hesitation in dealing with BPS is, how do I know the salesmen didn’t just come over from selling underwear. I talked to one salesman that really knew his stuff, and another that I wondered if he even knew what a boat was used for. I think I will talk to the guys at D&R. Thanks for all the great advice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Fishfoote sold his 01 18 Targa walk thru last fall for a song. 115 Merc, Big Jon elec. downriggers, 24/12 Motorguide (piece of junk) bowmount, etc. $10k. Had low hrs, it was always in the shop. The quality of the interior components is not the highest. Guy in Virginia bought it to fish stripers. He had many problems with it and no help form BPS in Auburn Hills. Finally got the Tracker dealer in Newaygo to help him get it staightened out but by then was so disgusted with it he didn't want it anymore. Go to Walleye Central and click on classifieds, then boats. You can get a tricked out used boat for what you'd pay for a barebones new one. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
394 Posts
D&R Sports on West 43 about 3 miles west of Kalamazoo also sells several other fishing boat brands, so you can do some comparing. D&R also carries and services Yamaha, Evinrude, Johnson and Mercury motors.

Call 1-800-992-1520 and as for Rocco. If you like, I can arrange for Rocco or one of the other salesment to contact you. Just let me know if you're interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts