1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Nice write ups. The Monarchs have always been a solid choice for those on a budget and the new Monarchs are definitely nicer than the previous model. Optically they stand up very well to glass in that price range. Unfortunately, they have one glaringly large flaw, especially for use in a treestand. The field of view is far less than some other quality optics in this price range. The 10x only have a FOV of 288' and the 8x is 330'. This is not all that uncommon in that price range. Take the $300 Leupold Cascades for example, decent glass, small FOV. The new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's are in the same price range and are optically in the same class as the Monarchs yet have a much better field of view. The 10x has a 340' FOV and the 8x has a whopping 420' FOV. People rarely appreciate a large FOV until they have spent some time with optics that deliver it. For sitting as still as possible in a treestand, large FOV is a real usable benefit. It's a spec that often gets overlooked. It should not be the only spec one looks at however as a large FOV does nothing to guarantee optical excellence and sometimes it can actually take away some image quality and depth of field.......such trade offs exist especially when looking for budget price glass.

I wish Nikon would make the new Monarchs in a 6x32mm weighing about 17-18oz with a FOV of 420' to 440' and we would have the Holly Grail of budget bowhunting glass. 6x glass that you can easily hold with one hand and a large FOV is a tremendous piece of archery gear.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^

Thanks, and good information too.

Its funny that you mention FOV. I actually found the FOV of the Monarchs to be a bit better than my current bino's. My current bino's are el cheapo's though so its not much of a comparison really.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 3 Posts