Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out with a couple buddies on a unique hunt the other day.

Shooting was fantastic on divers, darts and a couple mallards to boot.

Had a bird in the dekes that we had just shot and sent my Best Buddy Samdog to fetch it up.

He got distracted by this

[/IMG]

and was trying to fend it off "his turf":lol:

Draft of the ship sucked the water out of our spread and gave him a mud flat retrieve...

All in all a great day with some hot gunning and good company

[/IMG]

to boot.

·
Registered
540 Posts
that is pretty good right there:rant: never would imagine seeing that in the blind:yikes:

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
Got to be one hell of a drop just outside of the spread. :)

We hunted a lake up north and had a guy ride up in a boat and tell us it would be really a good thing if we moved one leg of our spread in about 15 minutes. When we went back around the point a couple minutes later we heard a huge racket, then a float plane taxied around the point. Turns out we were in about the only spot due to wind he could get enough room to get airborn that day.

We moved the decoys.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I hate it when those guys go buzzing by in those little boats and send all of the birds out to the open water:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
That looks like the boat the Calumet. we were loading our boat about a week ago when that boat came by on the saginaw river. 2 other boats were tied up to the dock to go perch fishing. when the water came back in it was like a tidlewave. one boat sank at the dock and another was pinned under the dock it was an amazing sight

·
Registered
65 Posts
i used to have that happen a lot when i was in college and hunted the st. marys river in the soo. its also fun in the summer to sit in chairs in the river when they go by because when the water rushes back it knocks you out of your chair, but it would also take the beer out of your hands.

·
Registered
584 Posts
That looks like the boat the Calumet. we were loading our boat about a week ago when that boat came by on the saginaw river. 2 other boats were tied up to the dock to go perch fishing. when the water came back in it was like a tidlewave. one boat sank at the dock and another was pinned under the dock it was an amazing sight
You know thats right!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

We were on the Saginaw river a few years back when a ship came through. It sucked all of our decoys out into the middle of the river and pushed 5 feet of water back in at us. It was the single crazyiest thing Ive seen duck hunting. :tdo12:

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Boat That Sunk Was My Buddies... He Told Me The Story And Man Am I Glad Him And His Boy Are Alive To Tell The Story...

Jeff

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Try being in a layout boat on Erie...some 3 miles from the channel...and one goes through.

Uh yeah....

·
Registered
116 Posts
You appear to be correct. Here is a youtube video of the Calumet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz4WrPGpkTE

Here is a site on the history on that boat.
http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/calumet3.htm

I hate it when people try to squeeze their way into your spot :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
That is wild!

I'm guessing that killed your hunt for about an hour.
Why is that? The birds don't care one way or another about the ships. They may get out of the way but will land right behind it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Why is that? The birds don't care one way or another about the ships. They may get out of the way but will land right behind it.

Guess I thought about the time it took the ship to actually pass ( probably don't like being shot at), and the time to reset your spread.:confused:

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Guess I thought about the time it took the ship to actually pass ( probably don't like being shot at), and the time to reset your spread.:confused:
Doesn't take long for them to pass.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you start singing "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?"
A little risky to post here, but a bunch of duck huntin rednecks singing it is some pretty funny sheet:lol:

The weather and ice conditions have to be "just right" to pull this hunt off. And that day was the day to be there.

It happens every couple of years, and the gunning while fast and furious for a while. Tapered off to zilch all to soon.:(

This has been a crazy year it seems like to me. With no birds in a lot of my secret walk in "Area 51" spots. And birds all over in others I usually drive by.

All in all an average year, but to see stuff like this on occasion always gets the heart beating a tad quicker.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts