1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36,014 Posts
I've never thought about trying that.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Looks like a country boy out 'experimenting', not that I recommend doing it. Yes I've done a handful of things I wouldn't do today. I don't think the bullet will go far, the brass may be more dangerous.

Here is a net answer I tend to agree with.

Best Answer: Been there. Done that. I won't tell you how I experimented, but I was able to discharge the cartridges without the use of a firing pin, chamber or barrel. The brass case is the weak link in the system. The cases would split out the side and explode with the sound of a firecracker. The bullets generally would stay attached to the mouth of the case, since the lead is both heavy and more solid than the cheap, thin brass.

·
Trophy Husband
2,948 Posts
When I was a kid I used to put .22 rat shot cartridges in the end of a piece of small diameter soft copper tubing, point them in the direction of my intended target and hit them with a hammer. Never had a FTF and never got hurt until Dad caught me and whooped my ass. Also rode my bike without a helmet and lived to tell about it.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We did lay them on the rail road tracks every now and again, probably a good thing we didnt know about the straws though.

·
Premium Member
31,202 Posts
We did lay them on the rail road tracks every now and again, probably a good thing we didnt know about the straws though.
We never thought of putting a .22 in a straw and throwing it. We did however put firecrackers in the end of a quarter inch threaded tube, screw on an end cap while sliding the fuse through a hole in the pipe. It made a cool black powder handheld when using a #4 buckshot ball.

·
Banned
11,515 Posts
Use to take a soup can with the lid taken off on one end. Punch a hole big enough to hold a firecracker. Fill another tin can slightly larger than the soup can with water and slide the soup can in making sure the firecracker didn't get wet. Light the fuse. It would shoot the can 50' in the air.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
A dud shell pushed into the ground and shot with an air rifle does the same thing: bullet stays put, brass case disappears. A couple weeks later a piece of brass finally worked its way out of my ankle.

In retrospect I wonder why my parents gave us as much rope as they did....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts