Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did not write this, just thought it would be a good idea for all of us that care about out fishery to jump on board and get some of this going.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:40 pm Post subject: Members: Please Read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I talked to some important people with the DNR today about this. I'm posting and sending this to everybody I know, including businesses, local Chamber of Commerce, TV stations and/or anybody who will listen. I'd like anybody in position to help in any fasion in this matter to do so as well.

Draft concerning a Lawsuit filed against the Mi. DNR for license to Commercially net walleyes out of Lake Huron/Saginaw Bay.

It is my only intention now, here in writing and sending this draft to you, is to first inform and (if possible) seek a response by all that receive and/or see it. Our DNR is being sued by one commercial fisherman, and for the exclusive rights of this one commercial fisherman, to harvest walleyes on Lake Huron. This may very well (and probably will) include Saginaw Bay. The hearing date to hear this law suit by a federal judge is set for February 10th. How he will rule on this matter may very well, effect the quality of fishing all of us will have for the coming years. If nothing else, it would surely effect the catch rate and peoples mind-set and willingness to come to our community to spend their leisure dollars in our local businesses. And IMHO if this one man was licensed to net walleyes, other commercial fishermen will surely fallow suit and petition for those same rights. I do not have to mention the huge (Volunteered) public and private efforts, along with the cost and time spent over the last 25 by the state to bring this fishery back to wear it was 70 years ago. And all that time with no walleye netting allowed.

This is not a personal Vendetta against commercial fishermen. I only seek to have those who have concerns for this fishery and its future to have a voice in this matter and its possible results. And is my intention at this juncture, along with another concerned fisherman (Bill Olar) to simply make a plee to seek support of businesses, fishing clubs and/or individuals who can and who will get behind an effort to spread this word and to have a voice in it’s conclusion. We could also use any (Pro Bono) legal advise or help in this matter, as we are not (yet) monetarily able at this time to hire a lawyer to join with the DNR attorney as litigants in this case. And in fact may be denied that opportunity by the federal judge. But can (if need be) get in on an appeal that would then be brought by the DNR into the states court jurisdiction. We may also call of have a meeting of concerned citizens to discuss this matter and our alternatives. Thank you for your time and please respond with comments to my E-mail address. Capt. Dan Manyen.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Very True!!!

Don't sit back people this guy is for real..He (Dana)has spent allot of $$ getting his ducks in a row for the last 6-7 years I know of!! They have been working on this since Don lixey sold the license to him.. The DNR was on a high horse then and felt they were above the law by not letting him harvest the walleye instead of changing the license, back when he bought it!! This one is not going to go away like others so we(sportsman) best jump on board and get ready for the long ride... :(:(
Most people don't realize the amount of fish that is taken from the lakes. Until you have experienced it from the boat you have no clue what 10,000 lbs of white fish is. Now think of it in TONS... It would devastate the walleye fishery.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Get every sportsman you know to help spread the word what it would do to Saginaw Bay. Contact the Senators and reps now and even the Gov if you can. This has to be stopped NOW. Skeeter

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is a hearing scheduled for February 10, 2010 in U.S. District court. The Michigan Attorney General's office is handling the case for the DNR and is fighting this lawsuit and requesting that it be dismissed at this hearing. Let's hope that it is dismissed at this hearing. What we should do in the meantime is contact the Michigan Attorney General's office and voice our concerns about how commercial harvest of Lake Huron would decimate our walleye fishery. I believe that our emails will give the Attorney General more ammo in court and if needed we could be called upon to participate in the court proceedings. I urge you to voice your concern and take a stand against the commerical harvest of Lake Huron. The Michigan Attorney General can be contacted through email at: [email protected]

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Being dismissed isn’t the end by a long shot, it will be appealed and if he has deep pockets as defined he will continue to push for this change in his business. He's tired of seeing all that $ go to the Canadians and Indians who I think are the only other 2 types of com. fishing for perch and eyes. I may not have my facts 100% correct but I commend your effort and support you too. I see Lixies boats once in a while in Oscoda and they do quite well as far as white fish go. I would hate to see the lake raped any more, especially when sportsmen’s $ are used to stock for them to profit from.
I think the Indians should only be allowed to take the type of fish that were here when treaties were signed. Lots of the fish in the great lakes are here because of our involvement, yet many other entities profit from this.

Let me know what I can do to help, I'm ready to be involved in this one.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
This went from talking about Dana to what Indians should be allowed to net? Gotta love you Anti-Native guys...Damn

·
Registered
904 Posts
Lets be real.. As long as there is a market for Great Lakes fish the will be commercial fishing...

Also, the DNR issues the permits and sets quotas for the kind and amount that is harvested.

From what I gather of this, is the guy wants to be treated fairly.

It's funny how people will get up in arms about one guy netting in Saginaw Bay and care less of 1000's nets set in Lake Superior. Out of sight out of mind.

Lake Superior still has fish.. I'm sure the Bay will be fine.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Lets be real.. As long as there is a market for Great Lakes fish the will be commercial fishing...

Also, the DNR issues the permits and sets quotas for the kind and amount that is harvested.

From what I gather of this, is the guy wants to be treated fairly.

It's funny how people will get up in arms about one guy netting in Saginaw Bay and care less of 1000's nets set in Lake Superior. Out of sight out of mind.

Lake Superior still has fish.. I'm sure the Bay will be fine.
Well said. I've been a walleye troller on the bay for almost 30 years so of course I don't want walleye netting. With that said, if there is commercial netting of walleyes on the bay, it will be strictly regulated. The claims of "raping the resource" are simply emotional outbursts of anger and fear. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the never-ending photos on this site of limits of dead walleyes caught by groups of sport fisherman. And some of them take limits day after day and week after week. The bay is loaded with walleyes and we all know it. Unless I am mistaken, Ohio commercial netters won a similar discrimination suit for netting walleyes in Lake Erie, and that lake continues to be a world class walleye fishery. Let's cool the anger see where this leads.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't have a problem with the Indians taking the fish to follow continue there heritage. Keep on doing what there for father were doing BUT do it the way they did it too.. Hollow out that tree or make that birch bark canoe and paddle your **** out there and set and pull them nets.. I will wave to ya when I see ya out there..I have seen allot of Indian artifacts but I don't ever recall a poker chip, slot machine or deck of cards being dug up yet???

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well said. I've been a walleye troller on the bay for almost 30 years so of course I don't want walleye netting. With that said, if there is commercial netting of walleyes on the bay, it will be strictly regulated. The claims of "raping the resource" are simply emotional outbursts of anger and fear. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the never-ending photos on this site of limits of dead walleyes caught by groups of sport fisherman. And some of them take limits day after day and week after week. The bay is loaded with walleyes and we all know it. Unless I am mistaken, Ohio commercial netters won a similar discrimination suit for netting walleyes in Lake Erie, and that lake continues to be a world class walleye fishery. Let's cool the anger see where this leads.
Not to start a pissing match but there has been threads started and comments about the consistent limits that were taken, but it seem that the threads were locked and members banned because toes were step on. But people keep patting them on the back for the great job they are doing..
As far a commercial netting goes I wouldn't have a problem if it was controlled strictly but when the boats come in and DNR isn't there to check, tallies never hit the books.. Then more fish are being taken than supposed too..The same thing that happen when a sportsman goes out in the am. and limits then goes back out in the pm. for another, but to a much greater scale...GREED!! cant settle for what is allowed!! Easy pick ens..
I'll tell you ahead of time. If you think it doesn't happen (commercial or sportsman) You are and ignorant fool and a liar!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't think a commercial fisherman is going to catch more than he's allowed under his permit.. You must remember that it's the DNR's permit in the first place.... If this guy screws it up by catching more than he's allowed under the permit, he would get his permit pulled faster than a heartbeat and be out of a job....

His issue is that the DNR gave him the permit to fish but, are not allowing him to catch the fish they told him he could catch in the first place.. While allowing others to catch more.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't think a commercial fisherman is going to catch more than he's allowed under his permit.. You must remember that it's the DNR's permit in the first place.... If this guy screws it up by catching more than he's allowed under the permit, he would get his permit pulled faster than a heartbeat and be out of a job....

His issue is that the DNR gave him the permit to fish but, are not allowing him to catch the fish they told him he could catch in the first place.. While allowing others to catch more.
I totally understand his issue with the DNR and I agree with Dana on it. His licensee states he is allowed to pull (X) many lbs. of walleye. He should be compensated for it because the cost of the license was based on what it allowed.. The man has the right to his money...My only issue with the commercials is the VERY lose way that the DNR keep track of the amounts taken.. I have been there....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't see how a sport fisherman and comercial fisherman can even be compared.:confused::confused: The sportsman out catching a limit every day does not even come close to impact of comercial netting. Sportsman dollars helped to create the walleye population we have now. I just can not understand how any sport fisherman could support this? Maybe this thread will educate me. I'll keep watching.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So because Lake Superior has comercial fishing we should just go with the flow and except it? I have not seen a lot of press about L. Superior walleye fishery lately.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
You hit the nail on the head with that one. Our money is spent to stock the lake, fund the COs etc.. But one guy (licensed or not) has the right to SELL OUR resources??? Doesnt seem right to me. Make it right with the man over the license deal, but leave OUR fish alone. CDAD

·
Registered
904 Posts
You have to remember that they are not your fish or my fish... The fish belong to everyone.. And some perfer to pay 7 to 12 $/# for it without wetting a line..

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have to remember I don't profit from the fish I catch. The deer I hunt are not mine either maybe we can start selling them too.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Notice in my first reply i said OUR fish. I meant Michigan residents in general. I cant imagine what a license would cost a commercial fisherman, but it cant equal the 7-12 $/# they sell for. Saginaw bay has gained a reputation across the country as a world class sport fishery. It only takes one trip out of Augres on a weekend in late June to observe how many dollars are spent locally on this sport. I would say that if the numbers of fish can be controlled or even lowered through sport fishing, there is no room for commercial fishing. We have been STOCKING these fish, so its apparent that they arent becoming over-populated. Walleye fillets can be purchased in the supermarket now. Anything to diminish the sport value of the bay is potentially a much bigger blow to the local economy than what we gain from a license fee. The only winner if walleyes are taken commercially is the commercial fisherman.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts