Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
15' for sure... Bass Pro has a great net, collapses to about 10' ft and extends out to roughly 18'. You can pick it up for around $50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Carp knows what he is talking about! Its good to have a long net, they sure come in handy for us....

:fish:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
A net is only as good as who is handling it...the MVP of the pier is a great net man...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
What's the stock/item number for the 18' Bass Pro net?

I'm tired of netting fish on the crest of the swells because my net handle isn't long enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
I have the same net WolverineFan is talking about...I don't think it's 18' but it's every bit of 15'+ and has a HUGE basket

Bass Pro doesn't offer it in the cataloge or online, the only place I've seen it is in the Auburn Hills Bass Pro. I don't have the tags on my net anymore, so I can't help you with the stock number...

Eli
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Ranger makes a good 10' net(I know Captain Chucks has them) and mine is a 8' cummings walleye net, good hoop size for wielding outstretched, books and i both have duck hunting push poles for extensions, i bought the HS and he has the Avery, they work great...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
just go to a pool and spa place and buy a handle for a net to clean pool 20.00$ drill a few holes and some pins and mount your net on it. My net has a 4' handle on it then two 8' sections from the pool net, Landed alot of white fish with it this fall. Just be sure when you pick up the fish to lift straight up. I think I saw the same handle a miejer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
duckhunter187 said:
just go to a pool and spa place and buy a handle for a net to clean pool 20.00$ drill a few holes and some pins and mount your net on it. My net has a 4' handle on it then two 8' sections from the pool net, Landed alot of white fish with it this fall. Just be sure when you pick up the fish to lift straight up. I think I saw the same handle a miejer.
That is why we went to push pole poles for extensions, you can use the net fully extended perpendicular from you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,373 Posts
Why would you want to lift a long net horizontally, with any sort of heavy fish in it? The only practical way to do it is by pointing the handle skyward, and lifting straight up, hand over hand. Try hoisting a 20 pound Salmon up with a 15 foot net, by levering the handle horizontally. Mega foot-pounds that way. But I see excited people do it every year; and I see net handles get snapped every year.

How do you transport a net which is still 10 feet long when the handle is fully collapsed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Fishndude said:
Why would you want to lift a long net horizontally, with any sort of heavy fish in it? The only practical way to do it is by pointing the handle skyward, and lifting straight up, hand over hand. Try hoisting a 20 pound Salmon up with a 15 foot net, by levering the handle horizontally. Mega foot-pounds that way. But I see excited people do it every year; and I see net handles get snapped every year.

How do you transport a net which is still 10 feet long when the handle is fully collapsed?
For one i dont know of that many places where you can get directly above a fish when on the piers, especially when the bergs are out on them the abilty to reach out and have rigid control is nice...as far as transprt they ride in a pickup bed just fine, or have the pole removable which is how most guys(as mine is)....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
that is why I use the pool net. 8' long when stowed for transport when put together long enogh to reach out and get any fish. It will ride in the back of my s-10 at 80, and for twenty bucks plus the net that you already have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
But I see excited people do it every year; and I see net handles get snapped every year.
For one i dont know of that many places where you can get directly above a fish when on the piers, especially when the bergs are out on them the abilty to reach out and have rigid control is nice...
We always have a plan as to where we are going to land our fish. We pick out spots where we can get as close to the pier straight up and down as we can. Even if we have to walk the fish down to our netting spot we do it because it will result in less lost fish and no equipment damage.

Eli
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
SurfDog said:
We always have a plan as to where we are going to land our fish. We pick out spots where we can get as close to the pier straight up and down as we can. Even if we have to walk the fish down to our netting spot we do it because it will result in less lost fish and no equipment damage.

Eli
As do I but steelhead have a nasty habit of not agreeing with targeted landing point locations!:) I do agree with you though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
this always seems to work best, have a plan in place, know where you want to go with the fish and hopefully have a solid net man.

I really think it also helps to have a net with a large basket... almost an essential thing. It allows much more room for error. I don't belive we have lost a fish at the net in the last two years...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top