Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question, but what is everyone's favorite net when trolling Erie? I have an Ego S2 Slider but spend too much time pulling treble hooks out of the net. Is there a better alternative?

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Silly question, but what is everyone's favorite net when trolling Erie? I have an Ego S2 Slider but spend too much time pulling treble hooks out of the net. Is there a better alternative?
I have the same net and bought a different head for it, rubber and it is shorter than the original, was too long and would tangle on things. I think the one below was the one I got, screws right on and you have your old one as a spare.
My buddy thought it was too short but haven't lost a fish yet. That said probably wouldn't use for steelhead...

Medium Clear Rubber Net Head

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got a really big rubber ranger net for the river. I wanted a big basket on it for the inevitable muskie. It’s been very nice for walleye this year when actually netting the fish, but really big in my 16” deep V aluminum. It takes a little maneuvering not to get caught on rods with where we have to place with 3 guys in the boat.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I got a really big rubber ranger net for the river. I wanted a big basket on it for the inevitable muskie. It’s been very nice for walleye this year when actually netting the fish, but really big in my 16” deep V aluminum. It takes a little maneuvering not to get caught on rods with where we have to place with 3 guys in the boat.
Ranger is a good one, I got the 8 footer and its great for steelhead and walleye trolling. Have a smaller lighter net I prefer for jigging

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ranger is a good one, I got the 8 footer and its great for steelhead and walleye trolling. Have a smaller lighter net I prefer for jigging
Yep, the 8 footer is what I got too, but I think I’ll pick up a smaller one for next season while jigging also. Before I got the boat ready this year, I fished the park in Ecorse by Mud Island and helped a guy net a big channel cat. 8 foot of net definitely has it’s benefits!

·
Registered
688 Posts
We avoid the net like the plague,,if we cant flip it,most likely we dont want it,in extreme cases,to save lures ,we did use the net, this year on a 30inch sheephead that manage to tangle 6 thundersticks in a knot.We carry a 8 ft er collapsable with a heavy nylon bag,would prefer rubber but multiple treble hooks often find my fingers in any situation,lol.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
We avoid the net like the plague,,if we cant flip it,most likely we dont want it,in extreme cases,to save lures ,we did use the net, this year on a 30inch sheephead that manage to tangle 6 thundersticks in a knot.We carry a 8 ft er collapsable with a heavy nylon bag,would prefer rubber but multiple treble hooks often find my fingers in any situation,lol.
30” sheepshead? Pictures please

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I would answer that, but it might rive Ron (Skinner 2) a little PTSD. I knocked off a double digit walleye of his earlier this year, so it is still a sore subject. My answer is, anything but the nets that I had at that time. I have since upgraded to a Ranger with an extension handle.

@Skinner 2 - Ron, you want to give him some advice and maybe re-post the picture of the net comparison....

·
Registered
688 Posts
30” sheepshead? Pictures please
The wife said qoute(tell him if he wants a pic of a 30 inch sheephead to go catch one) as my phone is a flip phone she does the photography and hates them! As a matter of interest she has caught bigger,and actually since i do the de hooking iam not enamored by em either! As bait id suggest anything youd never expect to catch them on!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts