Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I found out over the weekend that two of the guys that hunt the neighboring property have arrowed the 2 nicest bucks I have seen this year. One a 10pt w/ 17 1/2" inside spread and the other a 8Pt with a 15 1/2" spread. This is a little disheartening after all the work I have put into my property and letting the smaller bucks walk for the last 10+ years. These guys year after year complain because they don't shoot big bucks but then shoot the first 1 1/2yr old buck that comes along. It just happens this year that a couple of the bigger ones decided to walk by them first. They also hunt the property line because the farmer that owns the property only has crop fields and no woods,..so they have to hunt the edge of my woods. Before I get blasted by everyone I know that everyone has the right to legally kill any deer they want,...but I just had to vent a little. Since I take the time to improve my property by putting in food plots hinge cutting trees, planting trees, digging a pond and passing on smaller bucks and the only effort they put in is climbing into their stand.....end rant:rant:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Would you have prefered they just shot another 1 1/2? Sounds like you just don't like your neighbors shooting "your" deer.

·
Premium Member
30,917 Posts
Let me get this right...You don't like your neighbors shooting 1.5 yo bucks but when they shoot 2.5 and older you're also upset?
Now...If they follow up those bucks with a couple Sparkies.....
I hope you congratulated them and offered to buy them a beverage of their choice.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Well I found out over the weekend that two of the guys that hunt the neighboring property have arrowed the 2 nicest bucks I have seen this year. One a 10pt w/ 17 1/2" inside spread and the other a 8Pt with a 15 1/2" spread. This is a little disheartening after all the work I have put into my property and letting the smaller bucks walk for the last 10+ years. These guys year after year complain because they don't shoot big bucks but then shoot the first 1 1/2yr old buck that comes along. It just happens this year that a couple of the bigger ones decided to walk by them first. They also hunt the property line because the farmer that owns the property only has crop fields and no woods,..so they have to hunt the edge of my woods. Before I get blasted by everyone I know that everyone has the right to legally kill any deer they want,...but I just had to vent a little. Since I take the time to improve my property by putting in food plots hinge cutting trees, planting trees, digging a pond and passing on smaller bucks and the only effort they put in is climbing into their stand.....end rant:rant:

:dizzy: :gaga:

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
next year do some pre-season scouting and spray paint hunters orange on all the bucks you own, that way they know which ones they can shoot.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
You might find out that if you support your neighbors, they might join you in your efforts to protect yearling bucks.

I want all of my neighbors to shoot 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 yo bucks, that means there are enough older age class bucks running around.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Come on guys... dont take his comments too seriously as I suppose it can be somewhat frustrating- You do all the work, improvements, spending money and time and see someone else reap the benefits.... BUT its helpfull to keep a little perspective- knowing that nothing is guaranteed and that everyone has a right to legally partake helps.

I have a neighbor who only hunts my property line because as said, and I quote "I'll just let hungry-wolf grow em' and then I'll come out and shoot em'" He said this in response to my offer of showing him my property and offering to help him improve his... Can't say I'm really rooting for him when he climbs into his stand. Having said that however- I still help him track and drag and would gladly buy him a beverage for any legal deer taken. Hopfully one day he might 'get on board' but if not... well thats ok too...

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
The concept that improvement = entitlement is one which is going to prove to be increasingly divisive in the hunting fraternity in coming years.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
The concept that improvement = entitlement is one which is going to prove to be increasingly divisive in the hunting fraternity in coming years.
It goes against the concept of Tradition = entitlement :lol:

We're screwed.

As for the post who gives a rat's ass what the neighbors shoot;)

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Congratulations.

REALLY!

What a great thing to graduate from the neighbors killing 1.5 yo bucks to killing 2.5 yo bucks. By the way, this is how I was led into managing my properties. I killed one of my few 2.5 yo bucks a few years ago that was coming off my neighbor's property. I later met him and he told me what he and some of the other neighbors were doing--passing young bucks. I never heard of such a thing and remember pushing back so hard on him about how lame brained it was that he told me later that he almost lost faith that it could ever work (because of slob neigbors like me:)). But he caused things to percolate in my brain. Up to then, I was always shooting the first antlered buck I saw. I was one of those neighbors you are complaining about, and now I have helped to start a co-op that has booked over 3000 acres of property in the last 6 months. The one thing I pray for continuously is that my neighbors will kill great deer. That sets up a future in which I can do the same more often.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I understand the rant and don't take it too seriously. But what a great opportunity to initiate or continue the let's pass small buck conversation with your neighbors. This is exactly how the movement will grow - hunter by hunter, property by property, coop by coop until mass shooting of young bucks becomes a distant memory.

Damn when did I get so optimistic?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thats probably the best thing that could have happened to your "improvement" efforts. You already know they work and now so do the neighbors. Now would be the perfect time to see if they would want to be on the ground level of a co-op.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Question is, would your neighbors have shot a button buck or spike given the opportunity? Or, now that you've done the hard work to put some bruisers on the property will they start holding out for the big boys? If the later is the case, then good work! Your efforts are paying off! If they're still thinking, "if it's brown, it's down," and they just happened to get lucky, then I understand your disappointment.

I just started hunting a new 20 acre parcel. The guy who owns the neighboring 20 is a QDM enthusiast, but he says the guys who own the surrounding 120 will shoot anything with antlers. He says he shot the 3 of the biggest bucks of his life coming out of my 20 onto his 20 several years back. However, all he's seen in recent years are spikes. I've seen tons of does on this property and 1 spike.

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing the right thing whether you're benefiting directly or not. Keep at it and you'll bag your bruiser sooner or later.

KW

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

I Agree 100% Munster,Thou shall not kill the kings deer,unless of course you pay.Its coming.Theres a great article in the August 09 issue of Petersen's hunting titled Cheap access for big whitetails,I think that it is a good indicator of whats to come in Michigan.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Easy solution, high fence your property then no one will have the opportunity to kill your deer. Also, it is ok for YOUR deer to go on his property and eat this farmer's crops, causing him loss of income, but it's not ok for his hunters to kill said deer because they are on the property line, which is the only place they have to hunt. This attitude is exactly what is eroding our hunting in MI.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Congratulations.

REALLY!

What a great thing to graduate from the neighbors killing 1.5 yo bucks to killing 2.5 yo bucks. By the way, this is how I was led into managing my properties. I killed one of my few 2.5 yo bucks a few years ago that was coming off my neighbor's property. I later met him and he told me what he and some of the other neighbors were doing--passing young bucks. I never heard of such a thing and remember pushing back so hard on him about how lame brained it was that he told me later that he almost lost faith that it could ever work (because of slob neigbors like me:)). But he caused things to percolate in my brain. Up to then, I was always shooting the first antlered buck I saw. I was one of those neighbors you are complaining about, and now I have helped to start a co-op that has booked over 3000 acres of property in the last 6 months. The one thing I pray for continuously is that my neighbors will kill great deer. That sets up a future in which I can do the same more often.
So a person who doesn't pass on young bucks is a slob hunter? Of course these were his words and not your's right?

When these type of statements keep seeping out, it makes all of the 'catch more flies with honey' comments appear to be just condescending lip service.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Is it the fact that they took the deer from stands that are on the property line or just that they seem undeserving? If it's the stand location that bothers you, a little fishing line or snow fence will redirect the deer away from their stands. If it's simply their killing of nice deer from your efforts, you may just have to think it over for a while. You may find a little more sense of accomplishment in their success knowing you had SOMETHING to do it and leave it at that. Maybe they will raise their standards a little and start passing the little ones. Sounds like this may be a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I believe one member here has advocated the strategic placement of cigarette butts as a deterrent to 'his' deer leaving his property. Now we have another suggesting fishing line and snow fences? It just gets better by the day here in MI.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I believe one member here has advocated the strategic placement of cigarette butts as a deterrent to 'his' deer leaving his property. Now we have another suggesting fishing line and snow fences? It just gets better by the day here in MI.:lol::lol:
You would be surprised how well this works!!!
I see your from Detroit...Is it true that you guys wrestle your deer into the trunk of your car before you shoot them?:dizzy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts