Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
381 - 400 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Food plots, bait piles, ag fields it’s all the same. Food plots and bait piles are the exact same thing. A un natural food source designed to bring in deer. In my opinion unless your hunting big woods spot and stalk, or over natural mast crops or travel corridors no one has a dog in this fight and are are just pissy your being out baited.
Only reason the DNR didn’t ban food plots and this is per a top biologist was because they can’t tell you what you can and can’t grow on your property.

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to realize the most likely scenario. Opening day we get a couple of inches of snow and all those bait pile locations are going to stick out unbelievably well. I remember on Practical Sportsman or Mi outdoors where they road along in a plane looking for illegal baiting, it was amazing how well they stick out.
But the story of getting caught through a reporting system makes it better.

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,224 Posts
Food plots, bait piles, ag fields it’s all the same. In my opinion unless your hunting big woods spot and stalk, or over natural mast crops or trail corridors no one has a dog in this fight are are just pissy your being out baited.
''All the Same". Ya mean legalities aside?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Food plots, bait piles, ag fields it’s all the same. Food plots and bait piles are the exact same thing. A un natural food source designed to bring in deer. In my opinion unless your hunting big woods spot and stalk, or over natural mast crops or travel corridors no one has a dog in this fight and are are just pissy your being out baited.
Only reason the DNR didn’t ban food plots and this is per a top biologist was because they can’t tell you what you can and can’t grow on your property.
So do you think all those terrible food plots hurt the Deer feeding in them 12 months a year? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
So do you think all those terrible food plots hurt the Deer feeding in them 12 months a year? :rolleyes:
Never said terrible food plots at all. I’ve got them. And if my neighbors choose to bait I don’t care one bit how they decide to put deer in the freezer. I’ve also got 40 acres of 30 is bedding/ hidding cover that I don’t set foot in and only hunt the remaining 10. I spent a lot of years only hunting big woods public land spot and stalk. That’s hunting in my opinion. Sitting at my own place waiting for deer to walk by in boring as all hell in my opinion. Butttt the area I used to hunt is way to far away for me to feel like driving to.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I spent a lot of years only hunting big woods public land spot and stalk. That’s hunting in my opinion.

That’s the most rewarding for me also.

I’ve had good hunting at my place, I do my best to keep them fed with food plots. Alfalfa and clover for the early green up, a few plots for the fall.
I’m sure baiters feed them in the spring too, they just don’t talk about it as much.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
''All the Same". Ya mean legalities aside?
Yes legalities aside. I also think the bait/feeding ban is stupid. It really did a number on our turkey populations in northern Michigan. The have to have supplemental feeding in the winter up here to get through. One hard winter will wipe out entire flocks.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts

I’ve had good hunting at my place, I do my best to keep them fed with food plots. Alfalfa and clover for the early green up, a few plots for the fall.
I’m sure baiters feed them in the spring too, they just don’t talk about it as much.
For sure. Nothing better then spotting a good buck bedded from a long ways out and making a move on them. Cause there’s a whole lotta slip between a cup and a lip.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I don't have any idea how many of you have gray dogwood and willow but I can tell you that you don't do spot and stalk on my 38 acres or on the neighbors. In a real open area you might see 50 feet so we have shooting lanes and a couple grass patches that we mow every summer. We do ok most years but it is hunting not killing season.

·
Premium Member
16,713 Posts

I know a guy that feeds year round.

He has a big chunk of property and those deer literally are trained to the sound of corn in a coffee can. He rattles the can and says "Come on girls!" and they come running like dogs to a treat bag or a set of keys. It is hilarious. He doesn't hunt them obviously, but his son does hunt the property occasionally, but only mature bucks.

He hunts out of state and state land only. Says it feels like cheating at home. I can relate to that, but I still hunt at home too. :)

·
Premium Member
16,713 Posts
Yes legalities aside. I also think the bait/feeding ban is stupid. It really did a number on our turkey populations in northern Michigan. The have to have supplemental feeding in the winter up here to get through. One hard winter will wipe out entire flocks.
Well, it is no secret that the Damn Near Russian's only care about the $$$. This was never about CWD, if they wanted to manage that, it would be kill deer by any means necessary. Not a baiting ban, that was done purely for a special interest group, but every knows that.

·
Registered
203 Posts

He has a big chunk of property and those deer literally are trained to the sound of corn in a coffee can. He rattles the can and says "Come on girls!" and they come running like dogs to a treat bag or a set of keys. It is hilarious. He doesn't hunt them obviously, but his son does hunt the property occasionally, but only mature bucks.

He hunts out of state and state land only. Says it feels like cheating at home. I can relate to that, but I still hunt at home too. :)
Sounds like it would be cheating at home

·
Registered
837 Posts

I know a guy that does the same thing, he has big health deer. He kills a lot of big bucks every year. There are so many does there that the bucks want the action, they come out. The deer don’t even run from him as he feeds them, they come out right behind him, small buck and does that is.

381 - 400 of 416 Posts