Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a sit on top flyfishing kayak. Not sure what makes a good one or bad one. Looking for feedback from forum members who may have gone down this road.

Any advice?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'm for kayaks you can stand up easily in. There are more models available than I can think of. I own a Hobie pro angler and have used my friends' Jackson Cousas. I don't specifically fly fish, and I fish all types of water, from creeks to Great Lakes. Sometimes it's a mode of transportation from spot to spot to get out and wade. Other times I need it as a fishing platform. Look at how much gear you need to stow(camping or long day trip) and how you want it laid out when in motion or fishing.
That being said, if I lived on or fished 90%of the time on the mid to upper stretches of our great trout steams, I'd have a pontoon that I could stand up in. They are certainly easier to get in and out of.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have been fly fishing out of a kayak for 8 years. There is not one that will fit every need, desire or fishing situation. If you have a very specific use in mind with regards to water type the decision will become easier.

I have two kayaks that are both a bit old now, 1 is an Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 13' and the other is a Native Wilderness 12'.

As an angler that owns only fly rods and as a kayak angler with older kayaks, my search for a new kayak would focus on the ability to stand during both fishing and scouting. My next kayak will be a hybrid paddle board/kayak combination-if I buy another. But to be completely honest after fishing out of a kayak for as long as I have I would much rather buy a mircoskiff, Gheenoe or a Towee for my next fishing craft.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Jackson Big Rig is a fly fisherman's dream. At 37" wide it's about as stable as standing on your dock, it's deck is uncluttered so as not to tangle stripped line and it's collapsable standing support bar will hold your fly rod while releasing a fish or you can hang a stripping basket on it. I haven't fly fished with mine yet, but believe me, I will.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ive been lusting over a Jackson Coosa HD and/or Cuda for a while now. I go back and forth between Coosa and the bigger Cuda for some great lakes fishing instead of just rivers, streams and small lakes.

J-

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
This was my 'toon... kinda miss it. Plenty small and light enough for one to handle, but large enough to accomodate 2, with room for gear. Didn't draft much; wet grass was enough water, generally. With the hard floors to stand on it was a real fishing machine. You aren't going far upstream in it without a motor, though.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts