Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured this was the best place to post this but mods feel free to move this if nessecary.

Made it out this morning to hunt. Was'nt able to get out until today due to work. Property is 20acres private property boarder on east by Rawsonville road, west by a large farm (seperated by a steam), north by residences (one of which is an acquitance of mine) and south by a power company eastement that is ten acres with houses further south from there. Been hunting there for about 6 years and never had a problem.

This morning while I was walking in a see acouple of "firetacks" in some trees that look like they are marking a trail. We have never used them as we know the property well enough.

Get to my stand and walk passed my Cuddie no flash and notice that the IR emmiters do not fire, even though I am in the zone. Don't really think much about it as I have had problems in the past with the camera so I climb into my stand.

Sun comes up and from my stand I can see that the Cuddie Metal "Bear Box" that I use to attach and secure the camera to the tree looked like it was open, but can't really tell from the angle I am at.

Sit to about 930 (didnt see anything) so I climb down and walk to the camera to check on it. Find that the box was pried open and the camera was gone!!!!!!!:rant: The pad lock was still attached to the box. All they did was pry the side enough to bend the box to the side and took the camera.

Initially think maybe some local kids then start to think about the firetacks and figure someone is out there trespassing. Took a quick look but didnt see any stands nearby. What a kick in the sack!

If anyone hears of someone trying to unload a cuddie no flash for cheap let me know. The serial number of my cam is N13973. Closest archery shops to this area would be Adams Archery and Hog Wild Archery, incase someone comes in there to try to sell or tries to sell in the parking lot to people coming/going. I am a Police Detective for a local agency so I will be checking Pawn Shops, e-bay, craigs list, just like I am at work!

On the off chance that the thief/trespasser reads this, feel free to return my property, no questions asked otherwise somewhere along the way, you will get yours.

If anyone hears anything you can hit me here with a PM or e-mail at [email protected].

Thanks for listening,
J-

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to dig this one back up but figured it was better than starting a new thread on the same stuff.

Tonight I was able to get back out for the first time since I found my camera missing. After climbing down after dark tonight I figured I would snoop around to see if I could figure out where my camera went.

While looking around I found a trail of "cat eye" reflective tacks that led right to my stand (and where my camera was). The trail leads from the south (no one comes from that way in our party) and out of a 10 acre power company easement (I didnt go any further). I pulled all the tacks I could find (with out spookin deer etc). The cat eyes corresponded with a pretty beat down trail, so it looks like someone is hunting my stand when I am not around:mad:.

I'm guessing the tresspassers/theives are some of the residents further south of our property as there really isn't anywhere but residences to park at south of us.

We are gonna post the property even better than it is now. What else can I do???? This goes beyond pissing me off as I am 180degree's opposite of the person(s) doing this.

Suggestions for course of action if I should encounter someone in my stand (not likely as its about 300yard walk in and they would see me coming most of that distance and likely flee). I am pretty cool headed so I don't think I will fly off the handle. I was thinking along the lines of telling them they have 1 minute to vacate as I feel like moving my stand whether they are in it or not, :D.

I am also thinking about maybe typing up a form/informational letter and sending them to the houses south of us and the neighbors regarding the tresspassing and theft, asking them to keep an eye out etc. might work, or atleast let the people know that someone is out there hunting.

Any ideas??

J-

·
Registered
67 Posts
Make up a sign saying this is private property and what the consequence will be if they continue to use your stand and hang it it right on the tree the stand is in.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If it were me I would move every piece of equipment in the property and put a sign on the tree that says. " If you are reading this I already have you on camera". I might try even putting out another camera, a small camo type like the SG550 wich is hard to find and see. I would see if I can get a pic of the AZZHOLE taking your stuff. You never know, it could be a power company worker. Anyway, that sucks you lost your stuff, but AHOLES like that will get theirs eventualy.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly,, I'd be knocking door to door with my badge in my hand, doin' a little "investigating">:evil:
Actually thought about that, but my luck is some one would whine and cry to my chief that I was out of my jurisdiction!:dizzy:

I'm gonna get some more signs up and put signs in the trees that have our stands in them.

I am also gonna try to figure out a way to make it easy for me to take the seat from my stand when i leave. Its a sling style ladder stand seat with 6 straps. Any idea's would be great.

J-

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Firstly, without mentioning that you're a law enforcement officer since you're out of your jurisdiction anyway, I would as a citizen talk to all of the surrounding neighbors and explain to them that you've had property stolen and that there's a thief operating in the neighborhood and that they need to be on their toes in terms of protecting their property as well. I'd be looking to create a little anxiety in terms of people beginning to pay closer attention to what their neighbor is up to. Also let them know that you're aware that someone has been trespassing on the property. Let them know that you're providing a $100 cash reward for information leading to the conviction the person who stole from you and/or of anyone caught trespassing on the property. Give them your phone number and encourage them to contact you anytime if they have any information. Since you're a detective you already know that as you stop by for you visits you're paying close attention to which houses have treestands laying on the floor of the garage, which ones have a foam deer decoy in the backyard, etc. Since this is apparently a new occurrence that wasn't occurring in previous years, I'd be particularly interested in who is new to the neighborhood.

Secondly, notify the power company that someone is trespassing across their property and undoubtedly illegally hunting on there as well.

Thirdly, if at all possible get an infrared trail camera posted in a spot where you can get a picture.

Fourthly, carry a camera with you. If you notice someone in your stand from a distance use the zoom function to get some pics of them sitting there, walking out, etc.

Fifthly, with you taking down their tacks don't put it past these scum to attempt to sabotage your stand and the safety of it. Make certain that everything is tight and that the straps haven't been cut or loosened before climbing up into your stand.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I agree, hide a camera on that well worn trail and turn the flash off. Hang it high or very low. You will get a picture of him!

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Another idea is a sign. I can't remember who, but there's a member on the site here that posts a sign on the tree of all his stands... Something to the affect of,,, " This tree-stand is under 24hour surveillance with numerous infrared camera's, your picture has already been taken, please refrain from trespassing or your picture will be forwarded to the proper authorities"... Something like that,,

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Easiest way I've found is to lock the platform upright if the stand is the type that folds at the base. I'd be concerned with another camera..but a well placed camera high on a tree that is only set to take day pics might work. They are either walking in or out on that trail during daylight. Or possibly on a tree that faces tje stand at the set height. I know i dont spend much time looking in the tree tops when hunting. Neighbors might be able to tell you if another neighbor is walking in or put of the woods in camo or at least start watching

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this past 2 weeks at work had been absolutely crazy (great for the pocketbook but not for getting into the woods). I looked so forward to getting out this morning so much so that it was like opening day for me, not a lot of sleep but a lot of thinking about hunting. get up, shower, load the truck and head out. Make it to the land and walk out to the tree my stand USED to be in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These a'holes took my ladder stand, my main line rope, haul rope, bow holder and even took the two screw in steps that I had in the tree for self rescue purposes in case of a fall!!!!!!!!! ( I know my fault for not having it locked but we had no problems the previous 6 years, had a cable lock in my bag to put on it today no less!)

I am fully convinced that these are some local neighbors to the south of the property and are likely new to the area as we have never had a problem in the past.

So far this year I have lost my Cuddeback No Flash (pried out of the Bear Security box) and my Stand etc. Also found a trail of firetacks leading from the south (which I removed last time I was out 2 weeks ago and likely precipiated this theft out of retailiation). 'Bout 600dollars worth of stuff!!!!!

Next step is a door to door canvass of the area and/or a letter to the residents informing them of theives acting in the area and offering a $400 reward to turn in their neighbors! Divide and conquer usually works!:evil: Who know maybe some parent will do the right thing and turn in their kids for this or a suspcious wife may think twice about the "great deal" that her husband got on a camera and a stand. If not, once it snows they are hit (unless they can fly)!

This has me so utterly frustrated that I am seriously contiplating packing my hunting stuff up for the year and hoping for early ice to go ice fishing.

Well thanks again for listening to my rants (its actually cathartic to type these posts)

Thanks
J-

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That SUCKS, I hope you are able to find the scumbags, like you said offer a reward, money has a way of getting people to talk.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Another idea is a sign. I can't remember who, but there's a member on the site here that posts a sign on the tree of all his stands... Something to the affect of,,, " This tree-stand is under 24hour surveillance with numerous infrared camera's, your picture has already been taken, please refrain from trespassing or your picture will be forwarded to the proper authorities"... Something like that,,
Like Bonney mentioned, I am the member who uses the cards on all of my pop-up blinds on the private land that I hunt. The card reads like this:

THIS PROPERTY IS UNDER 24 HIDDEN CAMERA SURVEILLANCE. THEIVES, TRESPASSERS, AND VANDALS WILL BE PROSECUTED UNDER THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I WILL CATCH YOU!

Since using these placards for the last 3 years I have not had anything stolen or vandalized nor have we had any sign of trespassing. I make the placards on the computer and print them myself. I then cover them with transparent stick-on sheets for weatherproofing. They stay on my blinds until I arrive to hunt, then tuck them inside until I leave. So far they have worked like a charm. I recommend to anyone hunting private land to try this.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I know the feeling of being violated like that. Tresspassers make the blood pressure rise but when they take or destroy that feeling sucks. I've never had anything stolen but found my rifle blinds with numerous bullet holes in them(22 cal) I hope something good comes out of your situation.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well me and my buddy are gonna go do alittle recon today and see what we can figure out. I didnt even think about checking on his stand (chances are its gone too as it looks like the way they are coming/going passes his stand too) when I was there ( I was so livid) so we are gonna go check his stand and the one other stand we have out there that we havent hunted in 2 years ( but I know was there as of sept this year).

gonna see if we can find any obvious trails that are being used or if there is obvious signs of my stand being dragged out of the woods. Gonna talk to some neighbors too.

J-

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
When you go talk to the neighbors, take a large manilla envelope with the words "pictures of treestand theif" written on it. Don't do anything with it other than letting people see those words written on it. If they do ask to see the pictures say something like "The police have asked me not to show anyone yet."

You'll be able to tell who took your stuff.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well got back from "recon mission" today. Followed the trail of fire tacks from my stand across the power line easment to a neighboring property. This neighboring property is 3 acres and has an abandoned house on it. There was some evidence of cars/trucks pulling in behind the house and parking.

The owner of this house lives in detroit and I have seen very little activity there over the years (usually overgrown and boarded up). I think I have seen someone there once in several years.

There was also evidence that the other stands on our property may have been hunted out of recently and there was a trail cut to one of them. they were however still there (no firetacks at either of them). One got locked (one had one cable lock with me).

Posted some no tresspassing/no hunting signs along that side of our property. Letters will go out on Monday/tuesday to the neighbors with a reward for return of property and/or conviction.

J-

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is so disturbing. Why do violators of the law seem to have the upper hand on the victim. I say this because I read so many of these stories and everyone is so passive on doing something about it. Mainly because of the catch phrase 'dont take the law into your own hands'. What happened to the ol' days when people were hesitant to trespass because the thought of someone blowing a slug at them existed. Not anymore.

Cut about 3/4 of your treestand strap in the back of the tree. They will not hunt your stand ever again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue, I sucks when you work so hard being scent free, quiet, etc to have some jerk steal your stuff or hunt your stand and mess it up.

This is a little off topic but you may get a chuckle out of it.

A few years ago I was trying mock scrapes for the first time and I had a camera set up on it. It was my first camera and was a 35 mm, so everytime I checked the camera I had to run to town just to see my pics. I was at the local wal mart getting my pics and as soon as they were developed I opened them up and was wandering up and down the isles behind my wife making comments like "cool" or "nice buck" trying not to run into her as she stopped to get something off the shelf.
Near the end of the stack I found a picture of a bike ( larger than a dirt bike but not one of those nice road bikes) with its tire right in the middle of my mock scrape! I was pissed, the scrape was right on the edge of a swamp near the middle of 300 acres of private land at the end of a trail that you couldn't just take a wrong turn off the road and get to. The guy was obviously checking the area out. The funny thing was as he got to the end of the trail he had to turn around because of the swamp and as he turned my camera took a great picture of him and his license plate :lol:. I took the picture right back to the ladies at the photo shop and had them blow the picture up so I could read the plate number and sent it to the local deputy:lol:. The guy never even knew the camera was there :lol:. Hopefully you have the same luck.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
:lol: Dude,, that BLOWS!!! I'd be furious!

Ironically enough,,, today I actually found a stand of mine that was "stolen/removed" a few years back.. I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked up in the tree,,, " HOLY SHEET,, that's my stand!!" I figure if he needs it that bad he can have it...:chillin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts