Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Dump /plant your beans.
Instruct those spraying you planted beans and if possible, would they be so kind as not to drift weed killer onto them please? If they do could they let you know so you can get in there to deal with it?

And I'd only be beaning it to have a cover crop until August when seeding rye or wheat. Just leaves the remaining beans alone at rye or wheat planting date. A few brassicas (rape or radish or whatever is on hand or cheap) in the center before August would be fine by me too. If overbrowsed there could still be tubers the deer will smell if planted early enough. Maybe a brief distraction for visitors expecting the cereal shoots they smelled outside the loud smelling corn.
I've got Roundup Ready beans, I don't think those will get fried if they end up spraying there yet.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
whitetail institute No Plow, mixed with wheat and oats and chicory. Id even mix in a little bird seed (just for the millet, milo, sunflowers or sougum-80-90 days to maturity) if you have birds to pull in.
Why would I want to pull in birds? All they do is crap all over my blind. Lol

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Got the area prepared! Getting my brassica mix seed today but there's hardly any rain in the forecast. Probably should wait? I still think it's too early for soybeans. If I have to I can get the rototiller up there later this summer, got a nice trail through the corn.
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Sky Nature

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Got the area prepared! Getting my brassica mix seed today but there's hardly any rain in the forecast. Probably should wait? I still think it's too early for soybeans. If I have to I can get the rototiller up there later this summer, got a nice trail through the corn. View attachment 838974
I'd wait until about August 1 for brassicas.

Reactions: Polkahero

·
Registered
22 Posts
we've hit that annual hot dry lull.
In west central Ohio ive not been able to get a dove field planting in, until recently. I should have had it in mid May at the latest for full maturity for start of season and the 2 week gap before the season when you can mow it down. Atleast my dad got a surrounding strip of rye, wheat and oats and theyve fully matured already (seed pods). We've had rain every other day for weeks, as well as heavy flooding rains. So wet with standing water this spring and until recently, could not even get an atv into the field for two months,. our farm renters have lost one planting of corn due to all the rain and finally had to plant the field a second time. Most farms this year wont be picking corn until the last week of november, likely into december. at the earliest.

What brand of brassica's are you using?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
we've hit that annual hot dry lull.
In west central Ohio ive not been able to get a dove field planting in, until recently. I should have had it in mid May at the latest for full maturity for start of season and the 2 week gap before the season when you can mow it down. Atleast my dad got a surrounding strip of rye, wheat and oats and theyve fully matured already (seed pods). We've had rain every other day for weeks, as well as heavy flooding rains. So wet with standing water this spring and until recently, could not even get an atv into the field for two months,. our farm renters have lost one planting of corn due to all the rain and finally had to plant the field a second time. Most farms this year wont be picking corn until the last week of november, likely into december. at the earliest.

What brand of brassica's are you using?
Big Buck Brassica Mix from Welter Seed Company.

·
Registered
40,190 Posts
Is the farmer done spraying for the season? Drift will wipe out your brassica if he has one more spray planned. Wait until after the last threat of herbicide application.

Reactions: Polkahero

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Is the farmer done spraying for the season? Drift will wipe out your brassica if he has one more spray planned. Wait until after the last threat of herbicide application.
Not sure, at some point the corn will be too high for them to get their spraying rigs in there. Looks like I should wait until August anyway, by then the corn will be 7 feet tall. Not a big deal to get the tiller up there through my corn "path".

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm just doing a 1 acre plot, lazy style in the ZF area... Lazy means no till. Just a tarp to halt growth. Threw red beet seeds. Raked over with chicken manure, straw, and grass clippings; bumper time already.

Chickens get some greens, wife gets some salad, and deer are habituating.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
What about the soys?
I wouldn't waste time or money because the deer will have it gone long before season and have probably zero attraction during season. If you have it, you can put it on now and then overseed with brassicas Aug 1 and Rye around Sept 1. . I would not have late planted beans as my plot that is small and not fenced in.

Reactions: Wild Thing
21 - 33 of 33 Posts