Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving tommorow for a fly in fishing trip up in Canada. Just found out that the boats (14" v hulls) don't have anchors.

I plan on fly fishing for pike in the shallow bays & cuts. I want to be able to keep the boat in one posistion without having to man the oars or the moter. Any ideas? Empty milk jug, filled with dirt or rocks won't hold will it? Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
A folding grapnel anchor would work well and better than rocks and jug:

Do you have a West Marine or Boat US near by? Cabela's has them as well.

I bought 4 of them for tail end anchors on my mainlines for layout hunting. I use them in my smaller aluminum boat in the off season.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SabikiRig said:
A folding grapnel anchor would work well and better than rocks and jug:

Do you have a West Marine or Boat US near by? Cabela's has them as well.

I bought 4 of them for tail end anchors on my mainlines for layout hunting. I use them in my smaller aluminum boat in the off season.

I do have a West Marine store by me. But my issue is weight restriction on the plane. I don't think I can really add much weight. So I'm looking for creative make shift anchors.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Depending on what size you buy those Grapnel anchors are pretty light and small in size. You might be suprised. The ones that I have are not more than a pound or two.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SabikiRig said:
Depending on what size you buy those Grapnel anchors are pretty light and small in size. You might be suprised. The ones that I have are not more than a pound or two.

I'll pobably head over and check them out tonight then.

Any other suggestions in the meanwhile from the community?

·
Super Moderator
20,287 Posts
A heavy-duty canvas sack

Fill it with gravel and rocks...

Milk Jug might work, but that plastic is pretty thin. A couple of bumps along the bottom...

Maybe a heavier plastic like paint thinner, antifreeze, ect

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
How about the mesh bags that oranges and grapefruits come packed in? Light, durable, and disposable... Fill double bags with rocks upon arrival...

·
Banned
636 Posts
I would probably go with a antifreeze jug . Heavy duty plastic with the handle on top would work great . Tie the rope in the handle and fill it with sand or rock . It also could be smashed up to fit in a suit case and not take up much space . Good luck , hope you slay'em . I've tried to use orange and grapefriut bags for use before and they dont hold up very well , good idea , but they are not very durable .

·
Registered
478 Posts
4 inch wide PVC set on top of a piece of board, pour cement inside, sink an eye bolt into the cement, let dry, attach rope. If you take a 5 pound dump in the morning, the 5 lb weight shouldn't sink the plane :)

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
cliffd said:
This, or something like it, is by far your best bet. Cabelas, Bass Pro, West Marine, and possibly some mom and pops all sell mesh anchor bags. Lots of guys that float use them. The only think to keep in mind is that you need access to rocks.

The bags are simply a mesh bag, tied up with a carabiner-type mechanism. Fill with rocks, close it up, and you're good to go. I would be a little leery about potato/onion/orange sacks and how long they would hold up. In a pinch, you could possibly get by with a pillow case? Have fun...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used a mesh grapefruit sack last time.
You always go over the weight limit and end up paying.
I'd rather pay for a nice ice cold beer.:D

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big Dude said:
I used a mesh grapefruit sack last time.
You always go over the weight limit and end up paying.
I'd rather pay for a nice ice cold beer.:D

Can I utilize the empty beer cans and bottles??:16suspect

Thanks alot for all the responses. My wife just told me that one of the other members of our party went out and got us all anchors and they are now allowing us to go over the limit on the flight, without charge, because they have to make an extra trip out to cabin for additional supplies.:D

I'll report after I get back.....again thanks for the great ideas.

Wildcat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I always like using 2 long sharp poles. Stick 1 by the motor and 1 on the bow with a piece of rope to hold the boat to them.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
bigcountrysg said:
I got a 351M ford engine that is worth nothing should make a great boat anchor.:lol:
Most F--- engines make GR8 boat anchors.:lol:

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
I would pack a small drift sock as well. You could drop a big rock in it as an anchor, or use it the right way to slow your drift enough for streamer stripping. I picked up some little ones (12-14"?) from Lakeside a few years back. They dont weigh much, and I like drifting a lot better than anchoring.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
get a 3/4" 2 hole electrical strap from any hardware. jb weld it to the size rock you need for an anchor.tie on rope and you're all set.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts