Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone , A buddy of mine and I finally got ourselves a fishin boat . We went onto erie last weekend and tried trolling for walleyes . We caught fish but no eyes . It seemed we were doing something wrong . We were running hot n tots and trolling them slow . I was just running the lure alone behind the boat . Do I need to add weight or some kind of rig to troll properly ? Any help would be great . We want to go back this weekend but want to know the best way to troll and have it be effective for walleyes . Maybe a tip or two on how to properly drift fish , like what is proper weight to use and what type of rigs are best ? all tips will be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sounds like to me that you possibly were:
1: Trolling too slow( Should be 1.5 to 2.5 mph)
2: Didn't have your baits deep enough ( I use snap weights)
3: Weren't in the right area ( If you are not catching your target species... move)
4: Did not have the right bait or color of bait out (Keep changing until something works)

I never fish in the pack at Erie. I prefer to find my own fish and then work that area over and over. If you have GPS mark where you caught your fish and go back to that spot. If you are off by yourself and catch a fish you can drop a marker bouy overboard and go back to that spot also.
Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Try getting some crawler harnesses, you can run them behind bottom bouncers or in-line weights. For colors of harnesses get gold or copper backs and anything with pink or purple on the front, rainbow trout works well too. Keep your speed around 1.2 to 1.4 this time of year pulling harnesses that will keep alot of the junk fish off. When pulling cranks this time of year you can keep your speed around 2.1 to 2.6 and that will also help keep the garbage away. Just look for the pack of boats and then fish the edge of the pack, atleast you know your in the right area!! Good Luck!!

Scott

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you head back out go towards Fermi off of Stoney Point into 20-22ft of water, use 2oz. bottom bouncers off the side or back of the boat with crawler harnesses attached. This weekend there won't be much of a breeze on our side of the lake so you will have to troll, like Scott said go 1.2-1.6mph. I like Scott's choice in colors but this time of year if you get one you will get a bunch. Just make sure you keep up your speed to avoid the bait stealers. If you are going 1.0mph or less you will catch nothing but silver bass and perch(stay focused, the perch aren't worth the time, get the walleye's first). Go to Matthews Bait and Tackle and tell them you need:

4-2oz bouncers
4-harnesses in the hot color(if it matters)
10 dozen(trust me always get more than you need, if you run out on the water you will hate having to go in to get more) of your largest crawlers(I prefer if they look like snakes (10 inchers or more), then if you do get nibbled a bit they might leave enough behind for the walleye's to nab).

Set up:

Line, swivel, bouncer, harness, bait, let out to the bottom, close bail, hold on.

Good Luck,

Chris

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hot-n-Tots are HOT right now in 16' of water right off the swim beach at Sterling State Park. Keep your speed as close as you can to 2.0mph, and run them 65 to 70 back from the boards.

Chrome, Purple, Chrome/blue/red, and Gold are all great colors.

Bottom bouncers and harnesses have been working great too. 20 to 22' of water between the beach and the Stoney Point.

Captain Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts