Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are planning on being in Alaska for the month of August. So I need to purchase some appropriate fishing gear. We have small spin casting rods and reels, but nothing to handle large fish.

My idea is to purchase us new rods and spinning reels that we can use in Alaska and also back here in Michigan. Since, we would like to do some steelhead fishing on the Manistee River in the future.

Any suggestions on how we should equip ourselves would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
By August the big Kings are all but done in Alaska. You will have a lot of fun with the Silvers, and Sokeyes though. Pink Salmon also fill the rivers in August but they only run every other year and I don't know if this is the year for them or not. Basically you should set yourself up for fish in the 5-15 lb range. You may catch a big Silver that will approach 20 lbs. But the majority will be in the 8-10 area. The pinks are much smaller if they are in. The Sockeyes don't get huge either 6-8 lbs avg. Bring your spinning rods and load up on the little mepps or blue fox spinners the rainbows kill them. I don't know if it is true for all of Alaska but the area I fished we could not use treble hooks so check into that before you go and adjust your lures accordingly otherwise you have to cut 2 sections off your trebles. When I went I bought a 6.5 ft med/heavy zebco rhino rod with 18lb test line I believe. I did go in July and we still caught some of the big boys so you should be able to get away with a high quality 12lb line. BRING YOUR CAMERA AND EXTRA BATTERIES. Both times I've been to Alaska I've had camera batteries die and missed out on many great shots. When I went I got away with using hip boots but the rivers were low that year due to lack of snow in the winter so you may want to check into that before you go also. If you plan to continue river fishing here you may want a good pair of waders if you don't have them already. 1 thing I did that did save some money and worked great was instead of buying a heavy duty rod holder for the airplane ride I bought a section of PVC pipe big enough to fit my rods in and then bought a couple end caps and used that instead. I think it cost about 8 bucks total. That's about the best I can help you with I'm sure I didn't cover everything but I hope I put you on the right track. Have a great time, I hope I can get back up there soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 300 Magnum,

Your suggestion for gearing up for the 5-15 pound range sounds right to me. I was not sure about the length of rod I should be looking for, so the fact that you used a 6 1/2 foot rod is helpful. For some reason I had an idea that I should be getting an 8 or 9 foot rod.

We are driving to Alaska, so we will be traveling around camping at different places. I am assuming that I can get some information at the local sports shops about where to go once we get up there. We are not planning on any fly-in type fishing.

I hope to use hip boots rather than wadders, so I don't get in over my head :) .

Thanks for the heads up regarding the treble hooks. I definitely will make sure we are complying with all the fishing laws.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts