Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of purchasing a me to me bow.

I have two bows I am looking at and could use some advise as to what other people think.

The first is a 2005 Switchback for 500.00.

The second is a 2005 Darton Avelanche for 300.00.

I am a life long Darton shooter, however I am not a brand guy.

Both of these bows were purchased brand new in September from the guy that has them now. One season of hunting, and not much at that.
I plan to try tpo shoot both tonight to get a feel for each.

I just wonder what everyone thinks of the two. If the are that similar in performance, forgivness, and I can save 200.00 for new accessories?

Any help would be great.

This would be a hunting set up for whitetails. I rarely shoot over 30 yards.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Buy the Darton !!!
Then send me a PM with a phone number of who to call about the Switchback ..;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shoot them both and buy the one you like the best. Neither is better because of who made it. It will be better because it is the bow for you.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
I cannot provide an unbiased opinion because I do own the Switchback. It is the nicest bow I personally have ever shot. Very smooth with very little if any hand shock. I never even realized there was such a thing until I went back and shot my old bow. It felt like it exploded in my hand. :yikes: I am not a brand guy and until now never owned a Mathews. I could not be happier with the bow and I have never shot better.

Like others have said it is a matter of personal preference. Shoot what you like.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Shoot both bows and then buy the one that fits you the best. you and only you have to fill like this is the best thing since slice bread. All bows are good today so pick the one you like and happy hunting.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Tough call! I generally prefer the feel of hybrid and cam bows. That is a good price on the SB. Resale value on the SB will be much higher.

·
Registered
97 Posts
deepwoods said:
I cannot provide an unbiased opinion because I do own the Switchback. It is the nicest bow I personally have ever shot. Very smooth with very little if any hand shock. I never even realized there was such a thing until I went back and shot my old bow. It felt like it exploded in my hand. :yikes: I am not a brand guy and until now never owned a Mathews. I could not be happier with the bow and I have never shot better.

Like others have said it is a matter of personal preference. Shoot what you like.
Ditto! :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
No question which bow I would buy. But like some others have said shoot both and decide for yourself. Just one word of caution regarding the fact that you are buying a used bow. Make sure that the bow fits you. Primarly draw length. You will not get a true feeling for the bow if the draw length is to short or to long on either bow. Once you get the Switchback home take it to a dealer and have it set up to fit you. ;) Good luck !

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
It's up to you and how well the bow shoots in your hands , but I would take the Switchback over the Darton . Less handshock ,better resale value .

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Switchback.

ANd that my friend is about as unbiased as you can get.

I won't own a single cam and MUCH prefer Darton's cam system...that being sid...the Mathews is still far and away the better bow at that price.
Like a few said though...make sure you get it set up to fit you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I haven't owned or shot either one but can't see where Matthews bows are worth nearly twice as much (especially retail prices). you're paying them back for all the fancy 2 page fold out ads they put in the magazines. I know what they say about opinions and that's mine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have owned Martin, Hoyt, and Mathews bows. Hated the Martin Cougar Speedflite. Gave it to a nephew. Loved the Hoyt Deviator (fast with an anodized camo finish - never seen a camo pattern like it) and still have it, arrowed my two best, and favorite bucks with it. I own a Mathews Q2. Bought it from a friend. Never really felt comfortable with it, probably too much hand shock and too short. I'll give it to another nephew. Currently I hunt with the LX. Smooth and fast. Love the bow. Purchased it from Goldstar up near Edmore. So what am I trying to say? Why settle on just the two bows? Shoot several different bows before you come to a decision, there maybe others that you like better. What is nice about Goldstar, is that they carry quite a few different bow lines. This gives you the opportunity to shoot several different bows, before you make a major purchase decision. And let's face it purchasing a bow today is a major financial investment. So my advice to you is shoot both bows, and if you can, visit a local pro shop and shoot some more bows. You may find one that shoots better for you. $300/$500 is still a good chunk of money and there maybe other bows out their that shoot better for you for the same price. Also like DRHUNTER had said, whatever decision you make, make sure that the draw length is right for you. Most proshops will swap cams with you for a nominal price.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
another recomendation to shoot both bows and pick which you like best. I am a Mathews shooter and prefer there products however Darton does make some nice bows.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kelly Johnson said:
Switchback.

And that my friend is about as unbiased as you can get.

I won't own a single cam and MUCH prefer Darton's cam system...that being said...the Mathews is still far and away the better bow at that price.
Like a few said though...make sure you get it set up to fit you.
Once again, Kelly took the words right out of my mouth. IF AND ONLY IF you are limiting yourself to choosing between these 2 bows, you gotta go with the SB, and I personally didn't like the way the SB felt for me, and I shot Darton for many years.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I have shot both, and would choose the Darton regardless of the price difference. The $200 savings would be frosting on the cake.

Dan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the advise guys.

I shot them both, and as I said before I have always shot Darton, like Darton and like the fact is was a Michigan products produced very near where I do alot of hunting, however over the weekend I have become a Mathews man too.

I bought the Switchback. The thing smokes and almost ZERO hand shock. I bought it semi though a dealer, exchanged and changed out the cams for me from 30 to 29 inch draw. I bought a new sight and he mounted my rest and set me all up on this new bow for just the cost of the new sight. He had a little incentive, the guy I bought the Switchback from is buying a brand new 2006 model from him as soon as he sold this one. Which was new in Sept 2005.

Anyway shot it plenty on Saturday got it pretty much locked in. It is a dream to shoot.

Thanks again for all the advise, I now am trying to decide if I should sell my old Darton or keep it for a back up. I am leaning toward the later however the wife would rather see some of the cost of the purchase covered! Ha!!! :lol:

May be I'll get a crack at one beforethe years out!!! ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of the SB and at a very nice price too. Welcome to the Mathews side. Mathews does make some smooooooth shooooting boooooows. Everytime I buy a new bow I always shoot a variety of makes and models, always end up with a Mathews though. You should be happy for years to come with that bow.

Jawbreaker

1 - 20 of 31 Posts