Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new Medium weight spinning rod since I broke my last on a trip to Florida. I wanted to know what types of rods you guys are using and how you like them. I'm looking for one that is light weight and very sensitive. I've looked at the signature series from bass pro, G-loomis, St. Croix and some other high dollar rods. I think G-loomis pretty much has the best warranty in the business but they also come with a price tag. I'd prefer opinions with those that actually have or had the rods. Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
your going to get a lot of differnt opinions on this ive fished em all factory and custom.........best thing to do is go down and what ever feels the best to you is what matters in the long run.. ask to see a reel what your going to be using check it out with the rod most shops will let you do that......

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
GLoomis warranty service has been lackluster for the last couple of years.
Their blanks have changed several times in that time frame also.
I carry them at the store, and have seen firsthand these changes.
The JLM rod from BPS is a great rod, but a little heavy.
Their Pro-Qualifier is a nice rod for the money too.
Check out the B&R Outlaw rods as well.

I suggest doing what Float says.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I own to many rods and am always looking for the perfect one. Weight and sensitivity is very important to me as well as strength.

Every year I buy two or three looking for it. In the end, I always seem to end up fishing with my 8 1/2 foot 5 weight GLX. I cast spinners and plugs with a 6 foot GLX 4 to 8 lb test rod that doubles for the best jiging rod I have ever owned.

I own a 9' Sage, an 11' Talon and end up using my 9' Lomis IMX I gave my wife years ago when I went to the GLX series. It was like fishing with an old friend, but I'm looking at a 4 piece GLX in a 6 weight to replace it.

Problem is the rod is close to $600.00 but since a friend had one built for Quest this year I really like it. In the old days you would lose a lot of sensitivity with the multi piece rod, but they seem to have solved that problem with new technology.

John said I could use it one day so I won't decide until then. It might be all in my mind, but I think there is a big difference between even a good rod and a premium rod and for me the GLX works best.

On the other hand you can catch fish on a $12.00 Snoopy rod, but if you do a lot of fishing, I'd consider a premium rod.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,425 Posts
has IM 7 - 8 and IM9 rods w/ lifetime WTTY ...
I have a 6.5' MH IM7 Clarus that I really like.... for the $$ they're hard to beat.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i'll put in a second vote for B&R Outlaw. great rod for the price.

·
Registered
366 Posts
BPS XPS prolite finesse. All the fetures of a $300 rod for $100. I think now you can get them for $69.99

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have quite a few St. Croix's. I've always had superior service and they have always honored their warranty. I would also get a 2 piece rod. I have some 1 piece rods and they are great but a pain to get anywhere.

·
Registered
809 Posts
:yeahthat: i agree on most of that.i have 3 croixs[premiers] $100.-110. love em. i like one piece rods but its up to the user.put a 1000 or 2500 series stradic and your styling:coolgleam

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
Outlaws are a good rod without breaking the bank.
The Rapala rods aren't too bad either.

·
Registered
20,130 Posts
Lost Lake Ed said:
I have quite a few St. Croix's. I've always had superior service and they have always honored their warranty. I would also get a 2 piece rod. I have some 1 piece rods and they are great but a pain to get anywhere.

I've never been a real big fan of the 1 piecers,, but my buddy says the difference in sensitivity is like night and day. I'm gonna be picking up a new rod in July,, haven't decided on a one or 2 yet, but it will definitely be a St. Croix.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
William H Bonney said:
I've never been a real big fan of the 1 piecers,, but my buddy says the difference in sensitivity is like night and day. I'm gonna be picking up a new rod in July,, haven't decided on a one or 2 yet, but it will definitely be a St. Croix.
I'm not sure "night and day" is accurate. But there is a bit of an advantage to a one piece. But man can they be a pain to transport. Anything over 6'6" is a two piece for me.

and I've said before.... the Gander Mountain Guide Series rods (the more pricey ones... like over $50) are GREAT rods for the money. And you can't beat the warrantee..... break it (I have, all my fault), bring it back (I did...), and get a new one no questions asked (they didn't ask!).

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i've only ever broken 4 rods on fish or snags... they have all been 2 piece rods. all of them snapped right where the 2 pieces come together. Unless transportation is an issue, i would NEVER buy a 2 piece rod.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
thedude said:
i've only ever broken 4 rods on fish or snags... they have all been 2 piece rods. all of them snapped right where the 2 pieces come together. Unless transportation is an issue, i would NEVER buy a 2 piece rod.
I've never busted a rod at the ferule. And we both know I've busted a few rods (like the one I broke Tuesday! LOL!!). Mine always break closer to the tip.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,425 Posts
I have UP to 7' (1pc) meself....
I forgot to mention the Shimano stiX (pricing)...
IM7 Clarus = $60
IM8 Compre= $80
IM9 Crucial = $130
All w/ lifetime WTTY.

Good stuff!

I sure notice a diff. on the one pc.:evilsmile

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I like Cabela's Tourney Trail (IM7) in M to ML for about $60.00. I also have a couple of their Pro Guide (IM6) for $40.00 that I use for just messing (can't spell Putsying) around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts