Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about starting into Fly Fishing and don't know where to start.
I have looked at several rod, reels, etc. but have no clue.
Could I please get some tips on what to get for an all around set-up?

Thanks in advance
Arrow

·
Super Moderator
20,195 Posts
Hi Arrow

You're gonna have to give us an idea on your target species and how much you're willing to spend

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking for something to use for trout mostly down to panfish.

Price range under 200 but not to cheap.

Maybe a St. Croix Premier series.

I have no clue as to a good length, how many piece rod, handle style, reel size, etc.
Any other info would also be great.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
ArrowHawk,

You'll probably get a few diferent answers to your question. Based on the information you gave I'd probably opt for a 8'6" 5wt. In a med.-med/fast action. That should be a solid "all-around" fly rod for most trout fishing situations. As far as how many sections in a rod, I guess that would depend on if you plan to do any back-packing or flying, etc. where the size of the tube may make a difference. I tend to stick to a 2 piece rod if I can (quicker easier set-up).

Looks like you're heading in the right direction looking into the St. Croix imperial. I've never cast one though. You might look into a Scott V2 series rod (med. action, 2 piece). These are very nice rods for the money. Made for the beginning fly-fisher, and I think you can pick one up in the $160 ball-park. I believe Cabelas carries it in a combo for $200 and I'm sure there are others.

I'd suggest you hit the the Midwest Fly fishing Expo Next month (March 13-14 I believe) at Macomb Community College and look for some deals and cast a few rods. Good luck.

Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts