Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many per tire? How far spaced apart? Ya da Ya da.... Front and rear?
Does it damage the tire? Does it WORK?
Or just buy chains?:confused: I thought this group would know the best.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I fish with a guy here at home (and have heard the same from others I've spoken to) who use good, solid machine screws (self tapping, 3/8" if I remember correctly) in the knobs. A couple (2-3) on each one, but length of screw depends on the thickness of the knobs on your tires: you definitely don't want to punch through to the inside.

They seem to work great, and I've been meaning to put some on my quad for a couple years now, but never seem to get around it because I've got a set of chains.

That I ALSO never seem to get around to putting on.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
456 Posts
How many per tire? How far spaced apart? Ya da Ya da.... Front and rear?
Does it damage the tire? Does it WORK?
Or just buy chains?:confused: I thought this group would know the best.
I personally use chains on all four tires. Four bar chains on the back and two bar chains on the front. Three of the guys I fish with have chains in the back and screws in the front. They used KOLDCUTTERS. I believe they put 3 to 4 in every knob on the tire maybe fewer on the outter knobs. Over time they may fall out. One guy went with 1' long studs and the other went with 1/2" long. My thought is that the longer screw would stay in better but you have to be sure the knob is big enough or else you will have alot of air leaks!!!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I use the cold cutters which are like racing studs! You can can them anywhere a quad or cycle show is they have them. I put one in every other knobby in like a snake pattern they come in 250 to a box and they work for me!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
"Koldcutter" seems to ring a bell. I think that's what the one guy said he had on. They were pretty beefy-looking screws.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just put the kold kutters on my quad today and plan on trying them out tomorrow. the chains just seemed to be a hassle. I put one stud in each nub.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I use the as above and put one in every other 3 knobs and then off set each row of knobs.The hex heads are cut on a angle.I got mind at a cycle sales store.They work great.I take them out after the season.Becare in the garage,they will do a number on the floor.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My Opinion is the best chains than screw on tires cuz of more money and big headache to remove the screws ....I do use the chain on both rear tires no problem at all :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i put 1/4 inch machine screws in mine( sheet metal screws) about 10 years ago did 1-2 screws per knob and did like 1 out of evey 3 knobs in the row and made an offset pattern have been running the quad with these screws for 10 yeas now and still running strong(kinda getting rounded some) they will tear up the grass and the garage some but for less than 5 bucks they have lasted 10 years so i cant complain about the price of them and they work great on the ice

·
Registered
456 Posts
No wonder why people are getting flats out there!?!
Gatorgetter (the guy with the 12lb walleye) and buck (posted in that thread) both use them you may ask them how many and what size.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Cold cutters are racing studs. Or you can buy a huge box of sheetmetal screws same thing. Cold cutters are harder and will take longer to wear down. But if your just dragging ice fishing stuff around the regular ones will last forever. How many? How much traction you want? I put 1 on each corner of my lacrosse burlys. That way I don't fall on my *** stepping out on the ice.

Sent from my Evo

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
I run chains on the back tires and studs in the front. I bought my studs off from ebay, 3/8inch Koldkutters, less than $20.00 shipped to the door. They came in a bag of 250 and I put them in the front tires, 1 or 2 in each lug, depending on the size of the lug. They sure do make it steer better. I did notice last weekend one is missing already though. Use the best stuff you can that fits into YOUR budget. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
1/2 inch Kold Kutters, one in each lug/knob. Even if you get stuck. sooner or later you'll dig down enough to hit ice then off you go.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I helped a guy last night ,,with a flat on his 4 wheeler,,he had two screws in one tire,some one must have lost,,for some reason he took them out on the lake,,,of coarse the tire went flat,,he did not have a plug kit or air compressor,,,bailed him out,,I think he may have learned something,,,,

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never was too keen on the idea of screws in my tires.:dizzy: Murphy's law comes to mind for me.:D

I think I will call my local TSC and see if they have my chains first. I might try a couple of screws here at home also.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
For the fella's with KoldCutters or sheet metal screws,,, do you have any issues with "every day use". What I mean is, I do my fair share of running around in the neighborhood in the snow. Sometimes there's really no snow on the streets though. Is there anything to worry about, other than they'll just wear down quicker?

The other question I have is about the trailer. I basically have a landscaping trailer with the fold down, metal mesh gate. Does anyone have any problems with these things getting stuck in the gate when loading and unloading?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts