Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently bought a farm in Lapeer county. I have an approximate 7 acre bean field which the previous owner had leased out and an 1.5 acre hay field. Speaking with the previous homeowner, she got paid 350$ for him to lease this land. I've been doing some research and it seems like a low number to me. I was just curious to what input you guys had on this. Also I'm not looking to get paid for this crop, instead I want the farmer to leave me standing beans in the winter. What are you guys thoughts? Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
To be clear, prior owner received $350 for the 7 acres of beans? Do they cut the hay also? If so, do they take the hay?

I have a little over 3 acres that a neighbor cuts for hay. He got 9 round bales of decent clover/alfalfa with the 1st cut, but it has a lot of weeds and little growth. He might get a couple more bales with a late summer cutting, but it will be low quality. So, he's getting about $400 in hay (at around 40/bale) for free, but he's also doing the work. I just bought the property, and I'm letting him cut if for now. I may spray and reseed, and just let him do my periodic mowings to keep fresh growth for the deer. :)

I don't plan to hunt the small hayfield, I consider it just a transition area between my wooded acreage and the neighboring ag fields.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
How big of a standing crop do you want? Depending on the deer density, you may need acre+/acres. Also depends on the amount of time, effort, and equipment you want to devote to your own plots. I suggest you talk to the farmer leasing the land and try to build a relationship that benefits you both. For example, when I first bought my property I let a neighbor farm one small field in exchange for using his equipment to put in my own plots. A great relationship and we are good friends today. He also keeps an eye on things

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crawfish,

To clarify, yes. Previous owner received 350 for the beans. Also, the same farmer cuts and takes the 1.5 acres of hay. To my knowledge, previous owner let him do it all for free. My hay field is about in the same shape as yours, some weeds and mediocre growth. I'm just unsure how to approach the farmer without sounding like some city slicker who moved up to the country!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anderson,
I was thinking instead of him paying me any money at all, I'd just have him leave that amount worth of beans if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
That makes sense to me... You don't have to put in the work, you get the drawing power of the whole field until harvest, then you still have leftovers for hunting.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The price your getting doesn't seem too bad to me.
I have an 18 acre field in Tuscola county that I leased out for the past 6 years, for the first 5 years I was getting $900 ($50/acre) - which is the same as your property and that covered my taxes.:D Now I charge him $1000. To clarify, my field is not tiled - a tiled field will lease for more. Anyways the farmer put in hay but I had him leave me a lane around the field to get my ATV/tractor to the back of the property and I put about 2 acres of clover around it in different places. That worked out good for both of us, I still got some ground to put in food plots but he maintained the majority of the acreage. I was having a hard time maintaining larger food plots with my busy work schedule. Now he replaced the hay with corn - a real bonus - my deer are going to love that this Fall!!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
We have untiled ground in Shiawasse county. The soil is sandy loam, with some low spots. We get $95 an acre. The same farmer has leased the ground for 20+ years. We originally had 55 acres tillable, but we have weened him down to around 18.

If your ground is decent I would expect at least $90-$100 an acre for row crop ground.

As far as leaving standing beans, beans are around $10/bushel currently. Figuring a yeild of 30-35 bushel, each acre would cost around $300-$350 to leave standing. That said our farmer always left us around an acre standing every year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts