Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bushnell on top of my Dad's Rem. 700 30/06 (see thru bases) is F-d up. Last time it was shot was in Sask. 4 years ago, and it was dead on. We leave Saturday morning for Sask. and it's 3 feet high and out of adjustment. I'm thinking of putting a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 with better mounts. Your thoughts? I would have shot it earlier, but I've been down South more then I've been in state. My dad wants a "wide" picture..... We do not use our rifles very much (as you could tell). have a Bushnell 3200 elite 3x9 on my 300 wtby. mag, and it was spot on. HELP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Can he use a different rifle that you know is sighted properly, which he can get comfortable with quickly?

I'm guessing you've tried messing with the existing scope already as you know it's shooting 3' high... at this point, I'd put whatever scope you have on it (bases are optional at this point) and try to get it sighted in before you leave... otherwise roll the dice and hope you can get it sighted in before your hunt in Sask.

You may find the tiny little screws in the existing scope mounts - the screws which go into the receiver of the rifle - are rust welded and seized up. You may want to consider using the existing mounts with the 'new' scope. Break or strip a scope mount screw and the rifle may need to go to the gunsmith before you can mount the new scope.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I put a Zeiss conquest 4.5-10x44 on my 7 mag last year and I am very happy with it. I have been a leupold man but I think the zeiss is a little nicer IMHO.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure that Customs dropped that gun on the way back thru a few years ago. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to scrap the existing mounts. I do not have another rifle (short of a Rem. semi-auto 30/06) that I trust for him to use. I cannot believe that Michi-Gun is not open tomorrow:rant:. I'd love to give them the business as I have in the past, but I need to make a move fast. I may head to Bass Pro in the morning and buy what I need, and do it myself. I've never even heard of Vortex.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Buy a Leupold. You won't regret it. Ziess is nice glass but a lot more money that the Leupold and IMHO overpriced.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I suspect that you have a problem with the mounts. I've never liked "see thru" mounts. I almost exclusively use Leupold STD mounts - never a problem.

That said, for the money, the Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9 with rainguard is tough to beat.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the same scope I have on my 300 mag. Not great, but not bad. It pains me to look thru my B.I.L.'s Zeiss Conquest:corkysm55 It's AWESOME! It is pricey though. What level of Leupold? Varix 3?

I suspect that you have a problem with the mounts. I've never liked "see thru" mounts. I almost exclusively use Leupold STD mounts - never a problem.

That said, for the money, the Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9 with rainguard is tough to beat.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies folks. Went with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 with Leupold mounts..... not cheap, but neither are the hunts I go on.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks. Went with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 with Leupold mounts..... not cheap, but neither are the hunts I go on.
Nice.. that is exactly what I have on My 300 win mag. I really like it. A bit pricy... yes.. but you get what you pay for and rule of thumb is to spend your money on the glass and not the rifle.
I am sure it will work out good for ya..

Jeff

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the way I am learning to go. My dad will probably flip out when he finds out how much it was:lol:. When he gave it to me 15 years ago, it had a tasco or simmons P.O.S. on it. I since upgraded when I was in college to a low end Bushnell, and thats the way it's been:lol:. I have got to take care of who took care of me...... even if he doesn't like it;).
Nice.. that is exactly what I have on My 300 win mag. I really like it. A bit pricy... yes.. but you get what you pay for and rule of thumb is to spend your money on the glass and not the rifle.
I am sure it will work out good for ya..

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts