Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I picked up a .40 cal Beretta 96 last week for shooting fun and home defense. I got a pretty decent deal on a 250 rd box of UMC, which I plan on going through fairly quick at the range as I acclimate to the gun. I'm looking for a better round with good terminal performance for my home defense needs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions for a quality, but cheaper target round would also be greatly appreciated.

My hunting background has lead me to believe my target shooting can be less expensive if I don't use my hunting rounds. I like Nosler partitions for deer hunting, but have found it cheaper to shoot Core lokt when just shooting on the range. I make the assumption that I can get great bullet performance when needed, but can put holes in paper more economically with a cheaper round that cycles with consistency. Perhaps this is a wrong assumption? But I'd like to save money when and where I can.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
:)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I use the Speer Gold Dot 165's for my home defense, nice round, expands well upon impact, what more can you ask for, about 20 fro 20$. I use them in my carry gun. For plinkin loads, you need to start reloading, it is a lot cheaper than buying anything unless it is a deeply discounted sale. Those Rem=UMC loads are a great price out here 60 bucks for 250 rounds at Gander Mountain in Denver. Les

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I like 165 grain bullets in the 40.

Remington Golden Saber or Speer Gold Dot ammo would both be fine IMHO - I load the Gold Dots in .45 and 10mm +P+ loads, plan to handload some 9mm and 40 soon.

Make sure you shoot them side by side with your practice ammo to make sure they hit same point of aim, etc. The carry ammo will likely be hotter and recoil does change point of impact. At short range you may not notice it but at longer distances you may.

ALL ammo is at record high prices now - even cheap practice stuff uses the same amount of copper, lead, and brass - gone are the days of bargain basement retail cases.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Meijer is running remington product on their rice drop program.
I did nto notice the 40 pricing but bought some 30-06 at $5.00 off

jimmy

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
For the moment, for a self defense round I've chosen Speer Gold Dots and Hornady TAP, both in 155gr. Even though I haven't tried them yet, both the Remington Golden Sabre and the Winchester T-series are supposed to be very good defensive rounds. The Hornady design with their XTP bullet design is great especially if your gun is fussy in terms of FTF problems.
For practice, I just usually buy what's on sale: either Rem. UMC, CCI Blazers, or Win. USA cartridges.
One thing I really like about the Speer Gold Dots is that I can practice with the same grain bullet (albeit a FMJ v. a HP in the Gold Dots) in their Lawman ammo, which is considerably less expensive, and it mimics the ballistics of the carry round.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys, I now have a place to start.

The price per round (without shipping) breaks down like this for 165 grn:

Rem Golden Saber - 51¢ a round

Speer Gold Dot - 85¢ a round

Cor-bon - $1.08 a round

For a cheap plinking ammo the UMC is about 21¢ a round.

I've got some more reading to do, but I'm reading good comments on both Gold Dot and Golden Saber.

I won't be purchasing on price alone, need to see if my beretta likes the different makes and then consider balance and performance with price. If the Golden Sabers run smooth through the gun, I may settle on this round, as it seems to have the performance and easier on the wallet.

I've toyed with the idea of reloading and this may actually be what gets me to finally commit. Will I also have the option to load rifle and pistol rounds with the same machine? I expect the dies will change, but will the machine have the ability to convert back and forth? Sorry for my reloading ignorance, a had a hunting buddy that did my reloading and never had to learn much about it.

Also, when reloading is there any cases I should stay away from? Will the brass from the UMC ammo be suitable for reloading?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
Sib,

The brass from UMC is just fine for reloading. The only cases that I know of (and I'm sure they're others) that you can't reload, and it's states so right on the box, are some CCI Blazers that use an aluminum (I believe) case instead of brass. They're simply throwaways for practicing, and so reflected in their price. The last box of CCI Blazers I used, however, were indeed of brass though, and suitable to reload.
One nice thing about the Speer Gold Dots and the Hornady TAP-FPD ammo, is that the brass cases are nickel coated. They resist corrosion a bit better than brass itself, and the nickel coating is a wee bit slicker than brass, which helps in the cartridge feeding into the chamber easier and just a tad bit quicker. These cases are definitely worth saving if you plan to reload!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Take a look at the Winchester SXT for your home defense round....definately not something you want to go puch a lot of holes with, but a great personal defense round.

Chris

·
Registered
459 Posts
That is the way to go...by some cheap rounds with good brass until you have enough to sustain your shooting habit, then swith to full reloads. You may also find pre-primed brass to load which will be cheaper than buying storebought, but not as cheap as doing the whole round yourself.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I load up with the Rem Golden Sabers in my two .40's I also like having the 180 Gr..Have not had any problems cycling at all.Glock23 and S&W Cheif Special.For just plinking I will shot anything but Wolf, my Glock does not like them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts