Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love these little rigs. When going camping in the U.P. or in the bush up in Canada I eat a ton of these starting a week before. The black flies and mosqitoes hate it and it works as a bug repellent. We even experimented on a 5 day trip in the bush by having some do the garlic cloves and then others using different brands of repellent. Many being high deet content. The people with the garlic faired best. Garlic is great for you as well.

I have gone to same clubs and bought large juggs of peeled garlic cloves for real cheap. I've tried several different recipes including some of my pickeled egg ones and have had zero success. Some have turned out soggy and others tasted bitter.

Anyone have any success? I'm tired of buying them for outragous prices.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I've made this recipe before, they were tasty. I dont think I used the wine, just added a little water and more vinegar. I like sour.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 small dried chile pepper
1 small thyme sprig
1 small rosemary sprig
1 small bay leaf
10 black peppercorns
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
1 cup peeled fresh garlic cloves

Put all of the ingredients except the garlic into a nonreactive saucepan. Bring the contents to a boil, and gently boil them for 5 minutes. Add the garlic. Return the contents to a boil, then cover the pan, and remove it from the heat. Let it stand at room temperature for 24 hours.

Bring the contents of the saucepan to a boil again, then transfer them to a half-pint jar. Let the jar cool, and cover it tightly with a nonreactive cap. Store the jar in the refrigerator. The garlic will be ready to eat in about 5 days, and will keep well for about 1 year.

Makes 1 cup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102094

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Pickled garlic is sooo good. My grandpa used to grow his own garlic and pickle it.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks kbkrause. The ingredients is about what I've used in the past includint the white wine vineger vs. white vineger. But the chrunchiness (is that a word?) has never been there. I tried boil with and with out the garlic to achieve the right texture. I have not gone thru the extensive process you have described so I will give it a try. The texture turns out crunchy? Do you have any insight on why you boil then re-boil later? How that effects things?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
WILDCATWICK said:
Do you have any insight on why you boil then re-boil later? How that effects things?
Had the same question myself. I notice that this step is in the recipe on the web site that "kbkrause" provide at the bottom of his copy of the recipe.

Maybe on the way back from the shooting range I will pick up some fresh garlic and give this a try.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I'm not sure on the boils..:) My guess on the last boil is to make sure it's steril b4 you put it in the fridge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts