Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need a hand picking out a power auger. I have reviewed past threads, but I really need some opinions related to weight of the auger as well as the cutting (which hp motor) as related to how and where I intend to use it.

The use will be mostly in the Lansing area approximately 2-3 days per week as well as on weekends. Certain weekends will be at Houghton or Higgins lakes where the ice can get pretty thick. I make a few trips to other locations (North) and hope to make trips either this season or next to Searchmont Ontario, Lake Simcoe, and a few days on Little Bay de Noc. That said, I am having a hard time comparing/contrasting between the 2 and 3 horse motors and the drill depths. Cost isn't the real issue as much as the added weight of something that may or may not be bigger than I need.

I have considered these models:

Jiffy Stealth STX (2 hp and 3hp)

Strike Master Lazer Mag Xpress (42" depth versus 36") - will I need the extra depth at Simcoe or Little Bay?

also, the less expensive Jiffy's with the 2 or 3 hp motors.

My price range is (hopefully) less than $400 and I want the 8" inch size. I punch anywhere from 10-20 holes most times out, sometimes more, sometimes less. The 3 hp motor seems to be ~10lbs heavier...do I need it, or is it one of those situations where I'll say - gee I wish I had it, or one of those situations where I say - gee - I'm glad I upgraded and bought this instead? A good example would be the Vex (bought last year) with both tranducers, versus buying the entry level model. I can appreciate an upgrade that I will notice, but lugging around (unnecessary) extra weight
isn't always fun.

John

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Go with the 2 hp, you wont regret it, it cuts easy and fast. Id say go for the JIFFY, mines atleast 15 years old and is still running strong.

·
Registered
522 Posts
if your not drilling 2ft of ice and running and gunning for eyes the 2h jiffy is lighter and will last for ever. I dont know much about the lazers so I cant help you there.Mykass

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I have both Jiffies...1-2ft. of ice...2hp is fine....when you get into the thick stuff...the 3hp will eat it up!! Just depends on wether or not your hauling it all the time with a quad or not.....if so ...go 3 hp. ...if hauling by hand sometimes...go the 2hp....either way ...there a good auger!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a 2 hp Jiffy that does great...not sure how old it is as I got is used about 4 years ago...You do have to start it with a crank if that gives you an idea of the age.....

lkmifisherman

·
Happy Yooper
801 Posts
I've been running the 2 hp, 9inch Jiffy's on LBDN for about 10 years now. Never had a year where I needed to get an extention for the auger because of too much ice. If you're drilling that many holes, you'll notice the extra 10 pounds of a 3 horse auger pretty quick. The 3hp models don't cut that much faster, especially when compared to the new Stealth models. A new 2hp, 8 inch Stealth STX should run you about $380 - $390. STX models also come with a 3 year warrenty on the blades. Something to concider if fishing shallow water with a chance of drilling into the bottom or ice that's had sand blown onto it.

You'll be happy with your Jiffy, no matter which one you chose.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you that responded, I decided I decided on a Jiffy 2 hp Stealth STX.

Best of luck to all this season, thanks again.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts